Nokia Camera update

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to list the not so obvious differences.

• Post Processing is no longer that noticeable. Before when I snapped a picture it would look sharp in the preview then would get really soft a few seconds later after the post processing was applied. Now it seems like he picture I took is almost exactly how it looks from the preview. Great improvement, this is my favorite part of the update. I can't wait for the RAW format.
  • Speed is about 3 sec from launching the app and ready to take a picture. Much improved, cut about 1 second or more. But it can be better.
  • Snapping a picture and saving is about .5 seconds faster: Minor improvement but still too slow IMHO
  • Scenes mode: Great addition
  • More timer options, 2, 5, & 10 seconds: Much needed.
  • SmartCam shortcut on the side: Great addition.
  • No Focus Light option is now in settings: Dislike
  • Lenses is in the menu: Dislike

What's still needed:
  • HDR Mode
  • True SmartCam combined. Not just a shortcut to the app.
  • Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness controls.
  • Manual Exposure Settings for Video Recording.
  • Slow Motion Video Recording.
  • RAW Format.
  • Longer than 4 second exposure.
  • More accurate auto white balance.
  • Reviewing other pictures and not just the last one taken.

I will update for the smart cam feature and post what changes I've seen. So far I'm not seeing any. Please add anything else I missed.

Last edited:

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
No Focus Light option is now in settings - that's what I will hate the most.

Did they fix the saving of zoomed in photos, so you can save multiple zoom ins without overwriting the original 5mp pic?

Also from the video, isn't the fact that you didn't see all the tweak options right away but need to press the small arrow a bit annoying? I am still waiting for more feedback before I just on the update.

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
No Focus Light option is now in settings - that's what I will hate the most.

Did they fix the saving of zoomed in photos, so you can save multiple zoom ins without overwriting the original 5mp pic?

Also from the video, isn't the fact that you didn't see all the tweak options right away but need to press the small arrow a bit annoying? I am still waiting for more feedback before I just on the update.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but the reframing is no longer working for me. When I save the reframe the gallery does not update with the new frame but uploads the same previous old from to SkyDrive. Can anyone else confirm? I'm wonder if I need the latest firmware from Nokia that other 1020's got but not the US ATT.

As for the small arrow, it's fine you can always swipe the shutter button to the left to view all the settings no matter which mode you are on.

Edit: The reframing is now working again. A reboot seemed to have fixed it. The reframing behavior is the same as before over, the new one overwrites the old one. I found skydrive to be my workaround. Reframe when i'm connected via wifi then all my reframed pictures get uploaded to skydrive automatically.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Edit: The reframing is now working again. A reboot seemed to have fixed it. The reframing behavior is the same as before over, the new one overwrites the old one. I found skydrive to be my workaround. Reframe when i'm connected via wifi then all my reframed pictures get uploaded to skydrive automatically.

That is a real shame that Nokia failed to fix the reframe zoom feature, which as it stands is useless if you are out and about and don't have unlimited data.
Same goes for the smart cam (now part of nokia camera), I just hate that one of the major deficiencies has not been fixed in this major update.
I don't have unlimited data, so skydrive is not an option, and after I get back home I just can't be bothered to go over all the pics when I am near wifi. I don't get why the hell you just can't save the reframed pro cam and smart cam photos to the camera roll without overwriting the original.

tian.s

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sure whether this is new, so correct me if i'm wrong, but seems like they also integrated the video trimmer app's functionality. After taking a video you can trim it just like in the dedicated app.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
A work around ( it's convoluted but it works) with reframing or reframe with zoom is after you've reframed it, and saved it to camera roll edit
that in Nokia Creative Studio choose Original and edit with adjust and just move the bar a mm then move back to it's original spot
-unless you're like me I want to adjust the Color Balance- then save and it goes to the Saved Pictures folder.
You'll still have the framed in Camera Roll but if you open in Nokia Pro Cam you can undo reframe and set to original and then save,
and the original will be in Camera Roll and the new edited version is in Saved Pictures.

The framing doesn't permanently overwrite the original you can always go back to the original if you open (view it) in Nokia Pro Cam.

Last edited:

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
A work around ( it's convoluted but it works) with reframing or reframe with zoom is after you've reframed it, and saved it to camera roll edit
that in Nokia Creative Studio choose Original and edit with adjust and just move the bar a mm then move back to it's original spot
-unless you're like me I want to adjust the Color Balance- then save and it goes to the Saved Pictures folder.
You'll still have the framed in Camera Roll but if you open in Nokia Pro Cam you can undo reframe and set to original and then save,
and the original will be in Camera Roll and the new edited version is in Saved Pictures.

The framing doesn't permanently overwrite the original you can always go back to the original if you open (view it) in Nokia Pro Cam.

Yeah, there are ways around it, but the point is that such a simple thing should have been in the Nokia camera applications from the start, and the fact that they have still not fixed it in this new release is absolutely unacceptable.

shoulderbutton

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
A few observations

- White balance seems to be better at actually getting white instead of being a bit yellow
- As stated earlier start up seems a bit faster
- Saving as 5 megapixel only seems to only take 3 seconds shot to shot vs 5+ 34 taking about 4 seconds.
- Not sure if this was the case before but when I zoom with a 5 megapixel, I can't re-frame and zoom back out. I can zoom in further just not out.

The 5 megapixel overall quality with the boost in shot to shot might be the way to go for me

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, there are ways around it, but the point is that such a simple thing should have been in the Nokia camera applications from the start, and the fact that they have still not fixed it in this new release is absolutely unacceptable.

Yes I agree that there should be both versions the original in Camera Roll and the reframed in saved,
but if I'm using the edited/reframed photo for Instascam or facefoot or whatever, I share it.
If I want to send the original I just go back to Camera roll open it in Pro Cam and reframe to original and then share. 10 seconds instead of 2...
The original is never overwritten you don't use data.

Last edited:

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes for me reframing no longer works. It doesn't just not save the image, it is actually crashing the entire app when you save. Soft reset doesn't work. It is spotty though as sometimes it doesn't crash, but mostly it does, about 90% of the time. FIX THIS BS NOKIA our 1020s are useless without that feature. Better be soon

Edit: The only other person on the earth I know IRL that has a 1020 says after the update she didn't experience this issue at all.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It works fine for me (1020). No issues whatsoever. My only annoyance is every time I reframe and save...it saves every version that end up clogging my SkyDrive even when I'm not connected to wi-fi! That means it must be storing each reframe I save that aren't even visible to me through the camera roll! Now that's just STUPID!

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
It works fine for me (1020). No issues whatsoever. My only annoyance is every time I reframe and save...it saves every version that end up clogging my SkyDrive even when I'm not connected to wi-fi! That means it must be storing each reframe I save that aren't even visible to me through the camera roll! Now that's just STUPID!

I think that is the issue with having Skydrive upload on. It stores them in temp store (other storage) briefly and then upload. sometimes the remnants can get left behind. but anyways, yeah it is storing them but only temporarily. As soon as the upload is done i am guessing they are gone?

Chazn

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Have they corrected some of the video quality problems listed in the DxoMark review?

Really bummed that this phone's video quality is behind alot of the 2013 smartphones.

Phoquetopus

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe any of the post-processing has been corrected. The app just doesn't do it in front of you when you view your recently taken photo anymore. If we were able to compare pre and post update photos under identical conditions, I doubt we'd see a huge difference. I'm still seeing a lot of softening/warming up of photos.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi! On my part since I have install Camera Pro I see a major improvement!!! I've rested a photo from the same place at home with the same lighting and I see it clearly. Before the update, I had to go in each photo and use Nokia Creative Studio to put more clarity and play with the vibrance and brightness.... Not anymore!!!

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
One problem I've experienced with the update is a freeze up when saving an image. I shot the picture and it said saving, but never went back to the camera. I had to close the camera app and re-open it. It only happened to me once (Tuesday evening) but then it happened to my wife last night. Only happened once to each of us though.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Have they corrected some of the video quality problems listed in the DxoMark review?

Really bummed that this phone's video quality is behind alot of the 2013 smartphones.

Which video quality problems? Walking movements not completely stabilized by OIS?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs