Blurry Imaging on 1020

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I've been really disappointed by the softness of landscape shots, I was seduced by all those marketing shots of the Grand Canyon etc. I miss my N8 and often wonder if I should have stuck with Symbian and gone for the 808, in fact was looking at 808s the other day on Ebay. 😞

Post some samples? The 1020 has been the best camera I've had so far. My device history: N8, 808, 920, 1020.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Can't get to my laptop at the moment, will try to post some later. Assuming I can't post images via the app.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Compared to this taken on an 5yr old LG Renoir (8mp, I think), sorry about the rotation.

P30-05-09_13.39.JPG

Or this on the N8

24082011180.jpg

Probably not the best examples. But when you zoom you eventually get pixellation, but there's none of that blurry softness.

StephanDanner

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm also suffering from partly smudgy and somehow distorted images.
The images have a strange smudgy touch on the right side while being superbly sharp in the center.
Besides the geometry also doesn't seem to be right on the right side (look at the orange car....)
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Nokia care currently lets me reset everything (soft, hard reset, reinstall etc.).

Any recommendations or comments to the phenomenons?
Is this normal to the 1020 camera?

Thx, br, Stephan

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
What ISO are you shooting and what shutter speed? OIS will distort the edges in an attempt to keep the centre centred if you don't hold the phone steady enough... Even pressing the shutter button when using a tripod can be enough at a long exposure.

Also the 1020 pixels on sensor are a lot smaller than normal pixels which doesn't help when you zoom right in.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_211 using Tapatalk

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Auto, but...
Photo 1 - iso 100, 1/1506s
Photo 2 - iso 100, 1/729s
Photo 3 - iso 100, 1/111s

Can't get the info on the other phones, daughter is hogging the laptop.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Auto, but...

Try shooting at ISO 400 (I jump between 100 - 400 depending on what I am trying to snap and depending on the light) and setting the WB to whatever suits the conditions. This will give you a much faster shutter speed and should help to sharpen things up without adding too much noise to darker areas.

I find I can go up to 800 before noise begins to become apparent (obviously this is without any zooming)

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
1/1506s should really be fast enough for anything though. The thing is auto should work, I have an SLR for when I want to tinker with settings. Previous phones have worked well on auto and this is supposed to be a flagship camera phone. I already miss shots that my OH catches with his iphone, as mine is slower.
I will however have a go with a higher ISO for the shots that I can take more time over, I had assumed this would increase the noise, so thank you for that advice.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
AUTO on any camera will not give you best results. The 1020 is pretty poor in Auto from my experience. MF is a must too, AF on the 1020 isn't great.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm also suffering from partly smudgy and somehow distorted images.
The images have a strange smudgy touch on the right side while being superbly sharp in the center.
Besides the geometry also doesn't seem to be right on the right side (look at the orange car....)
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Nokia care currently lets me reset everything (soft, hard reset, reinstall etc.).

Any recommendations or comments to the phenomenons?
Is this normal to the 1020 camera?

Thx, br, Stephan

I will suggest to get your unit checked if there are any potential issues with the lens.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Auto, but...

Photos 1 and 2 seem to be a case of lens smudge or misfocus. It shouldn't look like that and I doubt that shutter speed is the issue (unless you have very severe issue with camera shake). But then, your picture at the park is way better... try cleaning the lens again... and if this is still happening to many of your shots you might want to get your unit checked...

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's odd that photo 3 had the worst weather and slowest shutter speed, yet is acceptably sharp. I do wonder if the issue is when the camera is focussed on infinity, as photo 3 has an actual focal point.
My hands are reasonably steady!

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's odd that photo 3 had the worst weather and slowest shutter speed, yet is acceptably sharp. I do wonder if the issue is when the camera is focussed on infinity, as photo 3 has an actual focal point.
My hands are reasonably steady!

I think my results with infinity focus have been reasonable (it even works for not-too-distant objects). But it is possible that the auto focus may be more precise? I will see if I get the chance to do some testing on this...

JW888

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
1020 is the best camera phone on the market so far, you just have to figure it out how to use the camera.
Guess I'm starting to understand..
Just saw some review pictures between the galaxy s4 zoom and lumia 1020, sure enough when focusing on details the 1020 wins by FAR - however, looking at backgrounds the 1020 pictures are way out of focus which is exactly the same as what I experience...

Some examples showing precisely what I am experiencing:
Camera Sample - GSMArena.com
Camera Sample - GSMArena.com

Making close up detail shots (and low light shots......) my old S4 stands no chance comparing to my 1020, but making pictures of scenery I'm sad to say I prefer my S4.
Feels like I'm being limited to only shoot portraits instead of shooting a "whole" picture.
I've played with every manual setting available in nokia camera to no avail so I'm guessing thats how it is by design, anyone have a nice techical explanation for me? :)

By the way I am not trying to bash the 1020 camera here, it's amazing - but I should have probably just spent more time reading about it before jumping on the wp wagon. Tbh I dont really miss android..... But I only made this jump because of the camera which doesnt really live up to my expectations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos