Current situation with the 1020

Lloyydd

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

nothing negative in here. I'm all good with my 1020 and can't wait for the RAW support to say hello.

But what got into my mind today was:

the 1020 just got several updates in image processing, new software updates and everything, and I thought it could/would be necessary that some of the big tech sites like engadget or anand should be re-review the lumia 1020, because I think it would be far better right now than it even was.

To be honestly the camera is GOOD, its quite impressive, the zoom is unmatched yet - but it is just good. I think that Nokia didn't hit the goal yet with their post-processing of the picture.
And I think that the real **** will happen when we can get the RAWs out of that shiny little baby laying next to me, and I'm talking about the phone.

What do you think?

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with you 100% this is an issue with a lot of electronic devices that get reviewed out of the gate. Once updated they make for a better product. I think the updates have only made the 1020 a bigger feat of engineering from Nokia and harder for other OEM's to beat.

Aldwin1999

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The pictures coming out of the 1020 is just pure amazing. But when they release RAW support.... That is some huge *** file. Probably more than my Dslr at 40mb. And the process of saving is going to be slower, and it'll take alot of space on your SkyDrive if you use it as a storage or backup

outback15

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it will be re-reviewed when it gets Lumia Black, which brings the raw support and new post-processing algorithms. It is said that it will produce more natural colors a la Nokia 808.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Valid point but I can't see it happening in most cases. MS/Nokia should've worked harder to get it right first time round.

That may sound harsh but surely they had enough time to test the performance of the camera in different situations to find if tweaks needed to be made before the final release.....shewerly?!?

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere but tbh, it's a lesson that hasn't been learnt by Nokia since, and including the Symbian days.

I'm sure there's bugs and annoyances on the S4, 5S, 5C etc that can and will get rectified with future updates, I'd be surprised if review sites considered this after they made their initial reviews.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Valid point but I can't see it happening in most cases. MS/Nokia should've worked harder to get it right first time round.

That may sound harsh but surely they had enough time to test the performance of the camera in different situations to find if tweaks needed to be made before the final release.....shewerly?!?

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere but tbh, it's a lesson that hasn't been learnt by Nokia since, and including the Symbian days.

I'm sure there's bugs and annoyances on the S4, 5S, 5C etc that can and will get rectified with future updates, I'd be surprised if review sites considered this after they made their initial reviews.

It's certainly a lot better nowadays. Before with Symbian, you'd wait for 9 months for an announced device to ship, only to have it riddled with major bugs and several more months just for those to be rectified. At least now products get shipped in weeks with relatively minor issues and you get quite a lot of awesome updates after that. Come on, did you know when buying the 920 that you'd get the gimmicky (but very cool nonetheless) Smart Cam soon after? Was Lytro-like capabilities on your 920 even within the realm of possibility? And that every cool little thing that arrives at the latest and greatest (e.g. 1020, 1520) eventually finds its way to your phone even though it's a year old?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte