Disappearing photos post Nokia Camera update

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Strange bug after Nokia Camera update. All the pictures I took in the weekend seemingly disappeared from my Camera roll album. However, when I connected my phone to the PC, they all showed up on the phone's HD.

Anyone else have this issue?

jkyy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Had the same weird experience yesterday!
All the photos I took in the morning 27.10.2013 disappeared after 12:00.
I was able to browse, modify and send the images in the morning but at one point at noon all the images taken in the morning were just gone. Including the ones I had modified.
I am able to view those lost images when connected to PC (via Cable).
Also back up to skydrive was OK - except that the image quality is not the best possible.
At the moment (Monday 28.10.2013) camera works OK. Pictures I have taken since yesterday afternoon are saved and visible in phone.

One more thing: As I was shooting yesterday after "loosing images" one of the lost pictures recovered. But only one.

aaibrahim

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same and I also lost the Open with Nokia Camera so not able to access 41MB images any more.

I moved the images from my Phone using a USB cable and put them back to the phone with no change and the y started showing but only in low res :,(

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I believe this issues is related to how the phone stores temporary data. It's not that the photos have disappeared, it's that their thumbnails (their temporary screenshot image that shows a preview of the photo) is either not present, deleted or corrupted. Based on how the phone actually displays images, it requires that information to show the picture in your Camera Roll.
For example, in order to view the full-res photo on the phone, you have to select to view a photo (this photo has a thumbnail) and then open it with the Nokia Camera App. By doing so, you are viewing the full-res photo, which does not have a thumbnail, hence why you couldn't see it in your Camera Roll in the first place until you selected to open Nokia Camera App.
Hook up your phone to your PC and you'll notice that the full-res images have no thumbnails because of this. Same goes for your missing photos. Hopefully they'll patch this error up.

I'm an experienced PC Technician and Microsoft's Operating System's work a lot a like.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
TheCrazySwede, I think you're explanation is pretty solid. Indeed, when I connected my phone via USB, the pictures had no thumbnails. Only after using preview in Windows7 did the thumbnails reappear. Is there a way we can forward this info to Nokia?

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
TheCrazySwede, I think you're explanation is pretty solid. Indeed, when I connected my phone via USB, the pictures had no thumbnails. Only after using preview in Windows7 did the thumbnails reappear. Is there a way we can forward this info to Nokia?

Glad to hear I could provide you with an answer. Viewing the photos in Windows 7, by default, allows Windows Explorer to create a thumbnail of the file. With a saved thumbnail, your photos should appear. As I mentioned, I'm a Microsoft Certified PC Tech and I've been working with PC's for years, so when I read about your problem, I knew exactly what you were referring to. The issue occurs somewhere in the thumbnail saving process. A simple "checksum" alike procedure to verify the location of a thumbnail, and by making one if needed, should fix this issue. This, however, could cause slower load times. I'm sure the crack-team at Nokia can figure this one out.

jkyy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
Microsoft should however fix this issue as it is quite annoying and as a user without technical background I would be - and I am - really concerned. Would I dare to take any important images later on warying those might simply be lost. Furthermore Nokia's promise in 1020 is the camera - but do I dare to use it really...
But as said, really big thanks for your reply!

si49

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
same happened to me today. I was taking pics of food during dinner (a couple pics every 10 min or so) then I picked up my camera to discover it was frozen on the glance screen. When I couldn't get the screen to wake up, I did a quick soft reset (volume+power button) and continued shooting photos once the phone rebooted. I lost pics half way through dinner but had the pics after the reboot.

manually copying and pasting photos to and from a computer fixed the thumbnail problem for me as well.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I am staying away from Nokia Camera on my 1020 until Nokia Black or until damn ATT releases the firmware update that is out in several countries already. Until then I don't see any advantages of Nokia Camera over the Pro Cam app + there clearly seem to be some serious bugs with it.

aaibrahim

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
First Thanks Nokia Camera Team for the fast fix...

Solution:
1-Update your Nokia Camera app to the latest version -go to the store and search for the app and an update will show if any- tried it with Nokia Camera ver. 4.3.0.6
2-Open the Nokia Camera App and the go to the settings.
3-At the far below it says "Find photos and videos shot with Nokia Camera This is useful after a phone reset or data restore" Click on the Link.
It will show a message at the top of the screen and when its done it will fix everything.. Horrray!

Rosdaman

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this very helpful thread. I am having the same problem, with version 4.4.0.8 of Nokia Camera. Can tell from laptop that files are in Camera Roll, but clicking on "Find photos and videos shot with Nokia Camera" is not restoring access to the files.

Any advice on how to add a thumbnail to the JPG files in Windows XP? I copied a file to the Windows XP machine and copies back to phone, yet file is still not showing up in Camera Roll. On the Windows XP laptop I see a thumbnail, but when I explore the file location on the phone using the laptop, no thumbnail :eck:

mrchampipi

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok so not only have I been experiencing this issue, but now ehre's a new one: some pictures on my phone won't show up on the pc via file explorer! How about that?!
Just came back from hollydays, manually import the dozen of pics I've taken...to realise a good third of them are missing: they are accessible on the 1020, just don't show up when I browse it via my pc.
I'm also noticing that the pc windows 8 app "my phone" or whatever it's called doesn't display any pictures nore videos of the phone, and gives me errors when trying to sync them.

cristocollarin

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The same thing has happened to me just today with my brand new Nokia Lumia 1020.
After shooting some photos my phone got freeze on glance display. Done a soft reset and all recent pictures has disappeared.
But another photo taken this morning, and before the freeze, has vanished.
No good job at all Ms/Nokia. I am a brand new switcher after years of iPhone/iOS and is this the welcome?

cyancat

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The same issue happened to me AFTER I updated my Lumia 920 to Lumia Black. I did the suggestions here, and what I specifically did was I copied those photos that went missing from my Skydrive to the Camera Roll. Some photos did show on my phone, but not all. On my Skydrive, the Camera Roll folder has 698 photos, but on my phone there's only 567. I am sure I did the right thing - I copied only those that's missing. Also, after doing so, the Camera Roll folder on my phone isn't showing all the photos in order - they're not the same way as seen on my Skydrive. I also did this same tip - using "find photos..." on Nokia Camera settings. After clicking that link, a message like this shows on top "don't go there yet..." I am not sure if the phone's going to update me whenever the fix (if it will really be fixed) is done. Please help me. I did not lose my photos, because they're on my Skydrive, but I'm really desperate to see my phone's Camera Roll folder the way it should really be. I am not used to it. :( Thanks a lot guys.

thoughthalo

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I also faced the same issue today. This is long after I updated to Lumia Black. My phone froze and I had to do a soft reset. After the phone came back up the photographs clicked before were missing from the album in the phone.

Kelvin Li

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but wow really? This is less than ideal. I hope that a real fix and not a search and restore function buried in the software is employed.

Rob Mulally

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
@thecrazyswede,

Your answer is close I think, but let me fill you in on a bit more information:

I have a technical background with so always trying to logically reason what goes on with my gear.
I had this issue for the first time today on my Lumia1020
I had this issue for the first 3 months of my Lumia920 before it was updated.

This is what I *think* happen(s)

The Lumia Cameras store the photo information into some kind of buffer (Ram?) So photo taken and written to Storage, Then "normally" the image is written out, with thumbnail and added to an internal database (Cache).
"IF" the database (cache) is not written out, no thumbnail is created or database (cache/index) and the camera eventually "fills" up its buffer (Ram?) and it hangs (locks) .
Hence you need to force reboot it, thus all the "buffer" is lost, so when it restarts the phone doesn't have any index for the pictures taken in the camera roll etc.

My reasoning behind this is that I have my old Lumia920 here and I have "MOVED" all the files off it to my PC and the photo's are still accessible from the phone, and I can't get it to purge the index (database), i'm going to have to do a full reset. (The strange thing is I can still open and edit the pictures as well.... gues that will keep working untill the file system is overwritten.... its very strange, its like file tables, one for Windows and one for phone internally)

On my Lumia1020 I only first experienced this today so i'm hoping its not a frequent event!

I post most of my pictures to instagram if anyone is interested. Instagram Love my Lumia Phones!

I hope the team can find and fix the issues above! when I update my Lumia920 to black i'll try
My lumia1020 is already on black. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven