1gb ram lumia 1020?

Felipe Cluk

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I'm a former lumia 920 owner, i just passed it to my GF and took a 1020 for myself, and it just arrived.

Howerver when i started the pro camera, i realized that it was kind slow, like lag, freezing the screen sometimes like the app is too heavy for the phone.

Checking on the "Insider app" i just figured that was showing that my 1020 has only 1gb memory, instead of the 2gb.

So i wanted to know if there's another app to check my phone specs or somewhere on the phone itself where i can check this, and see if this is an "insider" app bug.

TY!

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Im not aware of any version of the 1020 ,whether international or US that comes with less than two gigs of ram, look up WinPhone info free on the market place, it will break down all your hardware on your phone

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I own the 1020 as well, great phone, superb camera, but it is sort of slow opening the Nokia Pro cam a two to three second opening time is not unusual for this phone and about a half second lag between each picture taken give or take

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If you need speed on opening and between pictures taken change the default camera app to the phones default camera, it comes out of the box with Nokia Pro Cam as the default, and yes, to get the huge 34 meg pixels pictures you have to use the Nokia Pro Cam app, its the only way to get the high res pics the camera is known for

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your 1020, it is the best camera on a phone on the market today, by a wide margin, unless you throw in the Nokia 808 and then you could make an argument on that level and alot of people will lol, hope you enjoy your phone, once you get the hang of it I'm sure you'll love it

Felipe Cluk

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Im not aware of any version of the 1020 ,whether international or US that comes with less than two gigs of ram, look up WinPhone info free on the market place, it will break down all your hardware on your phone

Hey sym1a1a ty for the tip, indeed Winphone info showed me that my 1020 have 2gb, im very relieved now lol :p, it's a "insider" app bug indeed.

I also just updated to GDR 3 preview for developers and also updated the camera app, noticed that the performance have improved a bit, still take's some time to open it, but at least now is working more fluid.

Thank you all for the help

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Always glad to help, I haven't gone the preview gdr3 route yet, YET, lol, still debating on it, but glad to hear things have smoothed out for you

ceeesquared

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 1020 owner and a dev here as well. I was actually surprised when I saw that it says 1 GB RAM from Insider when I knew it had 2 GB. I did a little research and sadly, GDR2 doesn't support more than 1 GB RAM. I even made an app just to test the RAM using
Code:
DeviceExtendedProperties.GetValue("ApplicationWorkingSetLimit")
and returns 1 GB. HOWEVER, this gets fixed when GDR3 comes out. I haven't tested it yet (I just got my 1020 and don't want to risk voiding the warranty), but it is documented already in MSDN:

App memory limits for Windows Phone 8

Memory limit by app type

The size of the default memory cap imposed on an app is determined by the type of the app as well as by the memory size of the device. The size of the higher memory cap that can be requested is determined solely by the memory size of the device. Typically, for Windows Phone 8, a phone with 512 MB of memory is considered a lower-memory device, but this can vary depending on the device. For example, if a phone has a high-resolution camera, for app purposes it may be considered a lower-memory device. The following table lists the default and higher memory caps in these categories.

Limit typeApp typeLower-memory phones1-GB phones2-GB phones
DefaultXNA or native150 MB150 MB150 MB
DefaultXAML/.NET excluding XNA150 MB300 MB300 MB
HigherAll app types180 MB380 MB380 MB

[

To use the memory limits described in the preceding table, 2-GB phones must also have Windows Phone 8 Update 3 (that is, a version equal to or greater than 8.0.10492).

You can check the memory limit available to your app by checking the ApplicationWorkingSetLimit value using the DeviceExtendedProperties.GetValue(String) method. For an example of how to do this, see How to disable features in apps for lower-memory phones.

Last edited:

ceeesquared

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have GDR3 Dev preview installed and can report that with Insider, I am still told 1GB.

If that's the case, it would be possible that the info was hard coded? By any chance, is your phone dev unlocked? I could send you a simple .XAP file that shows the amount of memory your phone has.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre