Why is the 1020's Focal Distance So Dismal

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The inability to do close up macro on the 1020 renders every code scanning useless. Trying to zoom in, it does go in focus, but almost immediately loses focus.

potatopower

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Nokia officially states the minimum focus distance as 15cm. I guess it's because of the big aperture (f/2.2).
For QR code scanning, I have found that keeping the phone farther away (~15cm), the lens picks up the code. seems weird in the beginning bur it does work..

Also, there is a separate thread in this forum about macro shots using a macro lens.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you don't have to be very close at all to scan bar/QR codes with the 1020. Even from over a foot (12 inches) away it picks them up just fine.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you don't have to be very close at all to scan bar/QR codes with the 1020. Even from over a foot (12 inches) away it picks them up just fine.

This depends completely on the size of the bar code. I have not been able to scan a single code on a food package, that I've tried. MyFitnessPal.

cdmurp

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
This depends completely on the size of the bar code. I have not been able to scan a single code on a food package, that I've tried. MyFitnessPal.

I've had the same issue with MyFitnessPal (I have a 1020 as well). I can scan QR codes in Bing Vision, but I haven't had success at any distance with MyFitnessPal so far.

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
On macro photography....use maximum zoom and touch the screen with your finger to the point of focus.
This one was taken about 50cm away from the subject with maximum zoom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro