Hello all, I recently went and got the Nokia 1020 phone for the camera. I was really disappointed when I realized the pics that were viewed on the phone where only 5mp pics and that you had to hook it up to a computer to view the hi-res pics. Well I accidentally discovered a way to view the hi-res pics on the phone though you do still need to hook up to a pc. I was going to cut and paste the hi-res files to my pics folder when my hand slipped or had a spasm or something but whatever happened the next thing I know it was copying the pics back to the same folder on the phone. All the images said hi-res copy were you could see a preview like you can the low res images. So to verify I opened the camera roll on the phone and there they are both the low-res and hi-res of each pic. Well now if only we could do this without hooking up to a PC at all.

*Note- I am using windows 7, 64 bit and explorer to copy and paste in case that should happen to matter.
    10-31-2013 08:01 PM
    Have you checked the available memory before and after you do this? The question would be whether the phone is storing an entirely new copy that you can see in addition to the Hi- Res photo that was already on the phone. If this enables reading the copy that was already there without eating up new memory that will be great.
    10-31-2013 08:49 PM
    Isn't there an app in the store that'll view the hi res pics? HD Photo Viewer or something like that.
    10-31-2013 10:45 PM
    Well I accidentally discovered a way to view the hi-res pics on the phone though you do still need to hook up to a pc.
    What? You don't need to hook your phone to PC to view hi-res photos.
    You can tap on "Open in Nokia Camera" text under 5mpx photo and BOOM...hi-res picture!
    11-01-2013 02:04 AM
    {Kryakus} I just tried that and it did not open the hi-res version just the 5mp version without the link

{Nola75} I did not check that and highly doubt that would be the case since in explorer it shows the copy as having the same size as the original hi-res image

{Ed} I'm not sure about any apps, but that would be nice to not even need the PC as long as you could still attach it in an email otherwise what would be the sense really?

I'm no expert on this phone nor do I want to be. I bought it for the camera but not as most everyone else does. I'm studying electronic engineering and really got it so I could take pics of circuit boards and be able to zoom in beyond what I can see with naked eye or for schematics and of course chalkboard images so I can pay attention better without the need to take notes but at the same time have that resource. I only share this with you because I noticed this was an issue right away and as I've stated have stumbled across a work around that is easy enough for anyone to perform. So do what you want with the info or delete it I really don't care I've got more important things to do for me this phone is nothing more than a tool to me.
    11-01-2013 07:19 AM
    HD Photo viewer works nicely

Sent from my RM-877_nam_canada_234 using Tapatalk
    11-01-2013 09:05 AM
    {Kryakus} I just tried that and it did not open the hi-res version just the 5mp version without the link
    I just tried that and it did open 34 mpx photo. I thought that every 1020 owner knows that you can view hi-res photos on 1020 without pc by tapping on "Open in Nokia Camera". Do you need video proof or something? :) If you can't do that - try to re-link your photos with "Find photos and videos shot with Nokia Camera" in Nokia Camera settings.
    Last edited by Kryakus; 11-02-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    11-02-2013 04:25 AM
    I'm also disappointed.

With "open photo in Nokia Camera" or HD Photo Viewer, the picture is still in lo-resolution.
    I can affirm that. You se the biggest difference when you activate de option to see the photo after shooting. Than, you try to open again in the great resolution, you can't.

That can't be serious. This is never mentioned by Nokia.
    11-17-2013 04:42 PM
    I'm also disappointed.

With "open photo in Nokia Camera" or HD Photo Viewer, the picture is still in lo-resolution.
    I can affirm that. You se the biggest difference when you activate de option to see the photo after shooting. Than, you try to open again in the great resolution, you can't.

That can't be serious. This is never mentioned by Nokia.
    I think you're confused between the Hi-Res shot and the photo shown before post-processing.

When you select "Open in Nokia Camera" you are, in fact, viewing the Hi-Res photo. To test this, open up a photo (the 5MP version) and select "Edit." From there, select the top "Crop, etc." option. Then, select the Auto-Fix option. Your image should now have been.....auto-fixed. Now, take a good look at that image, then select "Open in Nokia Camera." Notice the change in saturation and exposure? That's because you are now viewing the Hi-Res image, and not the 5MP image you just altered.

The sharp quality photo that you see after taking the shot is the image BEFORE the phone's post processing software mangles the image. Look around in the forums (Odd how nobody who experiences this issues decides to do this first) and you'll find a lot of different posts regarding this issue. Nokia knows this problem exists and have mentioned an updated fix with their new "Black" software patch, along with DNG capabilities (Shooting RAW) which will, essentially, eliminate the automatic post-processing and allow you, the photographer, to alter the image as you see fit.
    11-17-2013 07:09 PM
    You're completely right, friend.
    I was confusing it. I was ralking about quality... Yeah.

So, hope Nokia can fix it.... Did you heard something about the date of the new software? When will it be available?
    11-17-2013 11:23 PM
    You're completely right, friend.
    I was confusing it. I was ralking about quality... Yeah.

So, hope Nokia can fix it.... Did you heard something about the date of the new software? When will it be available?
    The Nokia Black Update, I believe, will be released sometime early next year. Bringing us RAW capabilities will allow you to save that clear and sharp image you see before the post processing happens and then apply your OWN post-processing. Once that's done, save the file and you're done. You will need special software to do this. You can still view the image on the phone, but only the 5MP, post processed and ready to share version.
    Del Rei likes this.
    11-18-2013 12:50 PM
    The Nokia Black Update, I believe, will be released sometime early next year. Bringing us RAW capabilities will allow you to save that clear and sharp image you see before the post processing happens and then apply your OWN post-processing. Once that's done, save the file and you're done. You will need special software to do this. You can still view the image on the phone, but only the 5MP, post processed and ready to share version.
    Hum.... Thanks, man!!
    I'm a little disappointed on 1020 by now, but I think it will get better.

\o/
    11-18-2013 07:32 PM
    Hum.... Thanks, man!!
    I'm a little disappointed on 1020 by now, but I think it will get better.

\o/
    The great thing about the 1020 is the growth. It has a lot of room for improvement, and that's a good thing. It is not perfect, of course, but it is a diamond in the rough. Once it is shined and polished, I am sure, it will blow people away. Just look at some photos taken by the Pro-Photographers using the 1020, they are amazing. As of now, that form of excellence is difficult to get to if you're an average photo shooter, but once Nokia finishes tuning their software, I'm sure more people will be able to harness its glorious power :)
    11-18-2013 07:43 PM