08-25-2015 04:12 PM
75 123
tools
    It's interesting to see the Android mindset being dragged in and applied to a Windows Phone. The 1020 works just fine, I don't care if it doesn't have the latest quad core processor or a 1080p display. It runs smoothly and looks great and for me that's enough. The fact that I have a smartphone in my pocket with a 41 megapixel camera is incredible. The people wishing for quad core processors etc will obviously never be happy unless they have the best specced phone available. It's all nonsense.
    Its not about the OS... WP runs fine on dual core/1gb ram

In this case its all about the camera, and a Snap 800 SoC would help the camera performance greatly.
    Moiz Mian likes this.
    11-05-2013 06:42 PM
    This is just FYI. "Hot swap" means replacing the battery while the computer remains powered on with no interruption whatsoever. In this case we would call it a "user-replaceable battery."
    Which is exactly what this guy ultimately wants. And for that reason a powerbank serve the purpose of charging the phone why it is "hot".
    11-06-2013 03:59 AM
    Well, if you don't mind a thicker and larger phone, why not? However, look at the latest 1520. With such big size of a phone, it can easily fit a big sensor just like 1020. But instead, they are going for the middle class Pureview like 925. This trend tells us that Nokia will not be investing so much time with a niche sensor like 1020 anymore. From what I see, Windows Phone is very hard to pick itself up against other much more matured OSes out there. Hence, it will need another platform or different device form factors to bring Windows Phone to a higher level. And that will be tablets. MS and Nokia will focus more on their integration and apps between the devices, along with the back end ecosystem.

Frankly speaking, we already know how good Pureview is with all the non-stop promotions and adverts from Nokia. Is getting stale already. Is time for MS - Nokia to pick up some steam and push the products to a highly level, but not via the camera way.

Just my 2cents.
    I see the 1520's less powerful camera more as a result of a marketing strategy than as an indication for Nokia's turning away from what you are calling a niche sensor: Intended to be seen as a premium phablet, the 1520 needed a good camera on the one hand, but I think Nokia wanted to avoid to let it compete against the 1020 in terms of its camera specs.

I agree that WP isn't as powerful as iOS or Android. But from my point of view this is exactly the reason why MS/Nokia do need devices like the 1020 and improved successors which show the competitors what they are made of:

The 1020's outstanding feature is the camera and it is that outstanding camera everyone is reporting/speaking about - and it is this discussion that generates a high level attention that helps the company to sell devices in the medium range and below. But of course my 'analysis' may be wrong and yours be right, chmun77.

FWIW: The latest smartphone sales data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech (pdf, 290 KB).
    maverick786us likes this.
    11-06-2013 05:32 PM
    I think they are still kind of far off mass production, but yes... along with their work on this

Nokia patent shows Graphene based imaging sensor already being worked on!!

it might be the next "leap" in imaging :)
    This is something completely new to me, so thank you for that link, vlad0.
    vlad0 likes this.
    11-06-2013 05:37 PM
    I don't know how possible it is, but I think it would be kind of cool if a 1020 successor had an automatic lens cover like point and shoot cameras have. I'm constantly concerned about touching the lens or scratching it accidentally (more concerned than I am about the screen, to be honest).

I would think that if they're able to make a mechanical shutter that small, it wouldn't be that much more difficult to do a similar lens cover.
    maverick786us likes this.
    11-06-2013 05:46 PM
    I don't know how possible it is, but I think it would be kind of cool if a 1020 successor had an automatic lens cover like point and shoot cameras have. I'm constantly concerned about touching the lens or scratching it accidentally (more concerned than I am about the screen, to be honest).

I would think that if they're able to make a mechanical shutter that small, it wouldn't be that much more difficult to do a similar lens cover.
    I owned a Nokia N70 years ago. It protects the camera with the help of a slider. When later I bought the Nokia N8 I missed that kind of protection...

Yes, I am aware that I am talking about completely different form factors here and not only that. :)
    11-06-2013 06:05 PM
    the n86 , n82 , n85 , n95 , n73 , n70 etc all had sliding covers the n96 didn't , they went back to a sliding cover with the n97 but designed it wrong - to close to the lens causing scratches once it got a little dusty grimey

they then released the n900 and it had a cover like the n97 but it didn't cause scratches so they re-designed it better then the n97 version even though they were very very similar etc I remember their reason for no lens cover was quick access and arguementred reality apps working better without a lens cover and of course thickness of the device/camera hump?? id like a cover for the camera too just for peace of mind but after using a 808 extensively in all weathers and all places including beaches the gorilla glass seems to hold up well in fact it (lens glass) was still perfect when I sold it , because of that I do have some faith in nokias choice of no lens cover and toughened glass instead ;-)

if your that worried abut the lens martin fields do a protector that includes a camera protector , its very good quality and doesn't seem to effect the optics at all ;-)
    Last edited by buxz777; 11-07-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    11-07-2013 01:07 AM
    I don't know why the 41mpix sensor is considered "niche" .. yes, it is from the point of view that there are only two phones that employ it.. but that doesn't make it niche.

In fact the one in the 1020 is even more streamlined than the one on the 808... I expect a lot of Microsoft phones/tablets to have that exact same camera combo on them in near future.

I am hoping that the 1020 sensor will be kind of like those 8Mpix sensor are for a lot of phones today.. and they can just go with an even bigger sensor for the camera flagship for enthusiasts.

id like a cover for the camera too just for peace of mind but after using a 808 extensively in all weathers and all places including beaches the gorilla glass seems to hold up well in fact it (lens glass) was still perfect when I sold it , because of that I do have some faith in nokias choice of no lens cover and toughened glass instead ;-)
    Its fine.. both my N8 and my 808 look perfectly fine after heavy daily use. Both phone were my "daily driver" for a long time. The only downside is the smudge.. but I have one of these on my key chain

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-8072-Mic...pUvbUpU2210724

The reason they stopped putting the mechanical protective cover is because they wanted any potential app that needs to use the camera to be able to do so without having to wait for the cover to retract. Also.. I would guess it would be hard to get that API working properly with every app that needs camera access.

At least this is what Nokia gave as an explanation when the N8 came out in 2010.
    11-07-2013 12:25 PM

I thought the 1020 had a lens cover that covered the lens when the camera app wasn't open? I could swear I've seen videos of it?
    11-07-2013 12:39 PM
    I thought the 1020 had a lens cover that covered the lens when the camera app wasn't open? I could swear I've seen videos of it?
    Nope, that's the mechanical camera shutter, which is beneath the glass.

The reason they stopped putting the mechanical protective cover is because they wanted any potential app that needs to use the camera to be able to do so without having to wait for the cover to retract. Also.. I would guess it would be hard to get that API working properly with every app that needs camera access.
    Maybe, but the camera shutter currently stays closed and then automatically pops open. I don't know why an external lens cover couldn't too. Who knows.
    11-07-2013 01:23 PM

Maybe, but the camera shutter currently stays closed and then automatically pops open. I don't know why an external lens cover couldn't too. Who knows.
    Good point.. I dunno.. its just another mechanism that they need to worry about. They did two test runs with the N8 and the 808, it held up and I don't think they got all that many complaints about it, so its only logical to continue the same trend with the 1020.

I don't expect the next camera phone to have a cover over the lens.
    11-07-2013 03:19 PM
    Yeah, I don't expect it either. It'd just be something I'd like having.
    11-07-2013 03:29 PM
    Looks like the next imagine flagship is coming out to be true

Rumor: Nokia to unveil 8-inch #Lumia 2020 Tab & its next flagship Lumia 1820 during MWC 2014.

Lumia 1820, the next imaging flagship device with a Lytro-style camera will be unveiled during MWC in 2014.
    Tech friend likes this.
    11-11-2013 05:50 AM
    Yes.. and probably available may/june.

It will be interesting to see if the booth at MWC will be under the Microsoft banner or still under Nokia..
    11-11-2013 12:36 PM
    I want a larger aperture lens for the seccessor..
    01-07-2014 11:44 PM
    I just bought mine yesterday! Had an iPhone 4S and bought the 5S and after an hour struggling with iTunes gave up and went to get the 1020. Easy to setup and use. Love it! Still working with the camera and love the 'action shots' you can take and edit. So many features that make this unique and fun! My battery drains pretty quickly so I'm hopeful this improves...
    01-08-2014 11:48 AM
    I want a larger aperture lens for the seccessor..
    f2.0 is my hope.. but if the sensor is big enough it 2.2 or 2.4 will be enough for most cases.

I still think that we will see an updated 1020 at MWC and a replacement with Snap 805 later in the year under Microsoft.
    01-08-2014 01:40 PM
    I own a Lumia 920. So upgrading from 920 to 1020 will be a minor upgrade except for camera. I don't have a choice but, to wait for the successor of 1020
    I did the same btw. Upgraded from 920 to 1020 - didn't regret it a second. The 1020 is a beast. And feels soft and amazing like the body of a women :-))
    01-09-2014 04:42 AM
    it will take time for nokia to bring a updated 1020.
    for now they will focus something which is an inovation.
    i myself want an updated 1020(i own a 1020)

as heard from the rumors 1820 will have lycra style cameras.
    Nokian's are far ahead when it comes to camera in phones, they will do what has never done.

With n73 they got 3.2mp camera and carl zeiss lens ( if i'm not mistaken)
    n8 they got 12mp camera and xenon
    808 revolutionary 41mp camera , lossless zoom
    920 had OIS, great night photography
    1020 was combining OIS and 41mp sensor.

1820 is still a mystery but if you see they dont replicate things they come out with new innovations.
    01-09-2014 05:18 AM
    I think it will take a couple of years before someone except for Nokia can beat the 1020's camera. I am hoping that Microsoft or Nokia updates their codes to enhance the image processing speed and as well as to make white balance more accurate in auto mode. I don't want another Nokia phone, but I want news-worthy enhancements and upgrades so Nokia and MS can prove that the Lumia series can excel even with only dual-core phones FOR years. That would be a big slap to laggy Android phones.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
    amrut_m likes this.
    01-09-2014 06:20 AM
    I think it will take a couple of years before someone except for Nokia can beat the 1020's camera. I am hoping that Microsoft or Nokia updates their codes to enhance the image processing speed and as well as to make white balance more accurate in auto mode. I don't want another Nokia phone, but I want news-worthy enhancements and upgrades so Nokia and MS can prove that the Lumia series can excel even with only dual-core phones FOR years. That would be a big slap to laggy Android phones.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
    this can be great....
    Will love MS for this if it really happens....
    01-09-2014 06:38 AM
    1820 is still a mystery but if you see they dont replicate things they come out with new innovations.
    True.

I think it will take a couple of years before someone except for Nokia can beat the 1020's camera. I am hoping that Microsoft or Nokia updates their codes to enhance the image processing speed and as well as to make white balance more accurate in auto mode
    Nokia had the white balance figured out on Symbian, at least for the most part.. I still don't quite understand why they couldn't simply port it over to WP, unless they were trying something new altogether.
    01-09-2014 02:45 PM
    The Lumia 1020 isn't slow, but the camera can take a bit to load, and save photos(both Nokia Camera and Nokia Smart Camera)

Remember the processor the 1020 it's using is just a dual-core, and it's slightly customized, because the original Snapdragon S4 doesn't support 41-megapixels. I think the successor to the 1020 only really needs the Snapdragon 801 rated at Quad-core 2.x. That should do it, I think. Hopefully this time it gets a MicroSD slot.
    04-11-2014 10:02 AM
    I am possibly the last to know this, but does anyone know if Nokia will be making an updated version of the 1020 phone? This is the best Camera phone I have ever used.I use it for work every day. It's a great camera, that is also a phone.
    08-25-2015 03:55 PM
    I am possibly the last to know this, but does anyone know if Nokia will be making an updated version of the 1020 phone? This is the best Camera phone I have ever used.I use it for work every day. It's a great camera, that is also a phone.
    Nokia won't be, as the part of Nokia that used to make phone is now owned by Microsoft and they don't seem to be interested in producing niche devices like this.
    08-25-2015 04:12 PM
75 123