Lumia 1020 successor

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I have ever had a phone where the life of the phone has been longer than the battery - I have always replaced the phone before the battery becomes problematic.
I don't replace for that reason, just that after 1-2 years I'm ready for a new phone.

on the list of wants for a 1020 successor, a removable battery would be at the bottom of my list :smile:

A removable battery is one of those "Better to have it and not need it rather then need it and not have it" features. All it takes is for a battery to go bad 2 weeks after the warrenty expires for consumers to realize how important that little tid-bit is....

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I have ever had a phone where the life of the phone has been longer than the battery - I have always replaced the phone before the battery becomes problematic.
I don't replace for that reason, just that after 1-2 years I'm ready for a new phone.

on the list of wants for a 1020 successor, a removable battery would be at the bottom of my list :smile:

People were asking now for the successor of the 3/6 month old device...if you still want the 1020 at the end of your 2 year contract then why not renew with the same model for which you can get for free.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
A removable battery is one of those "Better to have it and not need it rather then need it and not have it" features. All it takes is for a battery to go bad 2 weeks after the warrenty expires for consumers to realize how important that little tid-bit is....

I don't have a L1020, but I do have an N8 (which also has an unremovable battery). I have never had problems with the battery or ever had any reasons to remove/change it.
BUT.. just by removing a few screws you can easily pull it out, it's not a big deal you know. At the end you can just go to a service center and get it replaced.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Irrespective of camera app. 1020 has a great camera but has 2 year old and outdated hardware. You need to have the latest hardware in order to support the camera. Take a look at Xperia Z1, can 1020 take 8 pics in one second?

If you are referring to burst mode then yes. Unless you play games on your device I cannot see how the hardware would be out of date.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
From someone who upgraded from a 920 to the 1020 it is a major upgrade for many reasons. 1) The camera. 2) 2Gb Ram which will fair better with future OS updates. 3) ball bearing OIS 4) it is faster than the 920. You do lose wireless charging and I miss the red color but overall this phone is more future proof than the 920 and is still getting some major updates from Nokia. Games such as Order and Chaos run so much more smoothly with a higher FPS.

Its the same generation. the screen size is same, the resolution is same. The same boring dual core processor, which within an year or 2 will start showing its age. I would rather consider 1520 an upgrade over 920.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why most manufacturers except Samsung opted for nonremovable batteries for their flagship products. The only reason I think is to force everyone to buy a new phone once the battery unable to hold charge anymore. I hope Lumia 1020 successor will have a removable battery.

I think it's easier to make the phone thinner.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Dont think we will see a 1020 successor until 2015 if at all. But I would fully expect that camera to be head and shoulders beyond the 1020...even the 808. The 1020 successor better destroy all doubt that it is the best camera in the industry. I don't want to see any comparisons to legacy hardware.

I'm on a 920 and want to wait until April to upgrade. I secretly hope there is a revision to the 1020...maybe quad core and sd card slot. But I doubt it will happen. the phone was released in June/July right?

The other question that has yet to be answered is how will WP8.1 play with legacy hardware? Will improve performance or require faster hardware and more ram? If WP8.1 bogs down legacy hardware, I dont know that I would opt to buy a 1020. This is the reason I'm waiting until April.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a true successor coming any time soon, let alone for MWC. The 1020 (like the 808 before it) is a niche device. That is even more obvious now that the 1520 is here and they've dialed back the capabilities. The 1020 should hold up well for quite some time to come (just as the 808 has- there are lots of people still using these), but sure- it would be nice to see the whole package updated. An improved lens/sensor stack that was even more accurate, yet somehow thinner and lighter; improved hardware and software that allowed for more impressive image processing, faster capture and reduced battery consumption. I don't know how anyone can watch a demonstration of the iPhone 5S burst mode (more like continuous capture) and not be impressed by that software and that processor: 10 images per second, full resolution, for as long as you hold the button. I don't care if WP8 is optimized and doesn't "need" cutting edge hardware to run perfectly well; you cannot tell me that the 1020 would not benefit from cutting-edge hardware. Sadly, I don't see it happening for a long time, if at all.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
can you please explain to me why the 1020 is a niche device?? if you had said the s4 zoom was a niche device then I could understand but the 1020 is a normal smartphone with a great camera , its light , has a lovely design , the camera has a hump but its not intrusive jeese even the 925 has a slight camera hump , I just don't get why people call the 1020 a niche device??

I wouldn't expect too see a 1020 upgrade soon it will have about a year cycle maybe a bit more , the ''black'' update will help improve the 1020 more and other manufactuers of phones are still way of matching the 1020 camera hardware we have seen sonys efforts with the z1 , samsungs efforts with the s4 zoom , iphones efforts for this year , lg's new flagship with ois , I cant see any other phones coming out to push the 1020 so nokia have some time to go back to the drawing board and improve an already great phone

I would expect the 920 successor to sport the same 20mp camera as the 1520 with slight zoom and oversampling and then the 1020 upgrade about this time next year with updated specs like

snapdragon 800 cpu and supporting gpu
bigger sensor and improved lens system
improved ois
same screen tech as from 1520 (improved sunlight readability)
1080p screen with all nokia goodies
micro sd card with 32gb and 64gb editions for certain markets
micro usb in / mhl connection
slightly bigger battery / removable battery
improved rich recording
4k video recording

to be honest apart from upping the sensor size and improving the lens system , putting a better cpu/gpu in , adding a micro sd support is there really much they can do to improve the nokia 1020 it really is an awesome device and I think apart from software side of things like separate volume controls and other things Microsoft should be improving then surely nokia can only make it a better camera phone ;-)

Last edited:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
can you please explain to me why the 1020 is a niche device?? if you had said the s4 zoom was a niche device then I could understand but the 1020 is a normal smartphone with a great camera , its light , has a lovely design , the camera has a hump but its not intrusive jeese even the 925 has a slight camera hump , I just don't get why people call the 1020 a niche device??

I wouldn't expect too see a 1020 upgrade soon it will have about a year cycle maybe a bit more , the ''black'' update will help improve the 1020 more and other manufactuers of phones are still way of matching the 1020 camera hardware we have seen sonys efforts with the z1 , samsungs efforts with the s4 zoom , iphones efforts for this year , lg's new flagship with ois , I cant see any other phones coming out to push the 1020 so nokia have some time to go back to the drawing board and improve an already great phone

I would expect the 920 successor to sport the same 20mp camera as the 1520 with slight zoom and oversampling and then the 1020 upgrade about this time next year with updated specs like

snapdragon 800 cpu and supporting gpu
bigger sensor and improved lens system
improved ois
same screen tech as from 1520 (improved sunlight readability)
1080p screen with all nokia goodies
micro sd card with 32gb and 64gb editions for certain markets
micro usb in / mhl connection
slightly bigger battery / removable battery
improved rich recording
4k video recording

to be honest apart from upping the sensor size and improving the lens system , putting a better cpu/gpu in , adding a micro sd support is there really much they can do to improve the nokia 1020 it really is an awesome device and I think apart from software side of things like separate volume controls and other things Microsoft should be improving then surely nokia can only make it a better camera phone ;-)

This all looks fine considering the 929 leaked with all the same specs. Except for 4k video recording. The 1520 does not include 4K recording, so I doubt any Nokia flagship will have this until either 8.1 or next generation :(

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Its not about the OS... WP runs fine on dual core/1gb ram

In this case its all about the camera, and a Snap 800 SoC would help the camera performance greatly.

The 1020 is a good test bed for the next phone, by the time we get to it the software optimization would be much, much better + stronger hardware .. I am looking forward to it.

By then my 808 will be ready for a replacement :)

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
It is good to have a removable battery if your phone hangs or freezes. Also if you don't use the phone for quite sometime, it is a good practice to pull out the battery so that the battery will not be swollen.

I don't have a L1020, but I do have an N8 (which also has an unremovable battery). I have never had problems with the battery or ever had any reasons to remove/change it.
BUT.. just by removing a few screws you can easily pull it out, it's not a big deal you know. At the end you can just go to a service center and get it replaced.

x7sage7x

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
The build of the 1020 is perfect. A dual core running at 1.5, with 2 gig of ram is more than enough. Unless you are a lazy user, and never restart your phone or press the back button to the home screen, you will have no problem. If you choose to be a poor operator, and leave 500 apps open, and try taking a picture on top of that in pro cam, you are just asking for it. WP8 doesn't need a quad core like garbage android phones. Just be a smart user, restart your phone when you need, and try to run one app at a time.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You guys talking up the 2GB of ram realize that 1GB is dedicated to the camera right? The phone is using only 1GB for normal OS use, just like the rest of the 8xx/9xx series IN FACT, the 1020 actually performs worse on benchmarks than the 920 or the 820. The processor is not designed for a 41mp camera, and as a matter of fact, neither is the snapdragon 800. It only supports 20mp. The fact is that the 1020 can easily use upgraded specs. There is a lot of untapped potential and I hope the 1030 can deliever :D

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
You guys talking up the 2GB of ram realize that 1GB is dedicated to the camera right? The phone is using only 1GB for normal OS use, just like the rest of the 8xx/9xx series IN FACT, the 1020 actually performs worse on benchmarks than the 920 or the 820. The processor is not designed for a 41mp camera, and as a matter of fact, neither is the snapdragon 800. It only supports 20mp. The fact is that the 1020 can easily use upgraded specs. There is a lot of untapped potential and I hope the 1030 can deliever :D
Are you sure about the RAM or just guessing? No version of Windows to date dedicates RAM to a specific function, but you want me to believe that this is the case in a minor update to a consumer OS? Unlikely.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I do hope that you are wrong, chmun77.

I still want a phone with a larger sensor.

Well, if you don't mind a thicker and larger phone, why not? However, look at the latest 1520. With such big size of a phone, it can easily fit a big sensor just like 1020. But instead, they are going for the middle class Pureview like 925. This trend tells us that Nokia will not be investing so much time with a niche sensor like 1020 anymore. From what I see, Windows Phone is very hard to pick itself up against other much more matured OSes out there. Hence, it will need another platform or different device form factors to bring Windows Phone to a higher level. And that will be tablets. MS and Nokia will focus more on their integration and apps between the devices, along with the back end ecosystem.

Frankly speaking, we already know how good Pureview is with all the non-stop promotions and adverts from Nokia. Is getting stale already. Is time for MS - Nokia to pick up some steam and push the products to a highly level, but not via the camera way.

Just my 2cents.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Reportedly Nokia invested in a company some month ago that develops array cameras for smartphones.

As I see it, this will be the next big step in smartphone photography - and a worthy 808 and 1020 successor technology.

Read also: Pelican Imaging's 16-lens array camera coming to smartphones next year

I think they are still kind of far off mass production, but yes... along with their work on this

Nokia patent shows “Graphene” based imaging sensor already being worked on!!

it might be the next "leap" in imaging :)

I am just talking about what they can do with what's currently available.. they can improve on the 1020 for sure.

The processor is not designed for a 41mp camera, and as a matter of fact, neither is the snapdragon 800. It only supports 20mp.

True, but the overhead won't be as much and that can help with the speed of the camera. I am guessing that having better video processing might be able to help with the oversampling.. as it stands its not as good as the original pureview device.

Obviously they worked closely with Qualcomm to make that old s4 deal with the demands of the 41mpix sensor and oversampling, which means that they can do the same with the 800 and achieve better results.

I still don't know why they didn't use the system from the 808 which incorporates a separate imaging chip inside the sensor which deals with most of the processing. I mean.. the 808 runs on some sort of ancient 512 RAM and operating the camera feels faster than the 1020 for the most part.. it makes absolutely no sense.

I think both of their previous cameraphones used Broadcom chips. I just feel that this camera kind of requires its own custom hardware to fully exploit the capabilities.
Are you sure about the RAM or just guessing? No version of Windows to date dedicates RAM to a specific function, but you want me to believe that this is the case in a minor update to a consumer OS? Unlikely.

I've seen that being said around the web and I am really not sure where it started.. yes, the camera might need more RAM to run, but non of it specifically relocated for that one single purpose, at all times. I don't even know if that is possible..

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Haha ok thanks for bringing that up. It's probably just rumor, but the 1020 does run the OS slower than the 9xx and 8xx. Just try the sunspider browser test. The 9xx/8xx score about 900ms. The 1020 scores about 1100ms. The only difference is the camera and the ram. Soo I dunno.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss