Have a Nokia 1020 on ATT, desperately want to switch to T-Mobile. How can i do this?

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
And keep my 1020? the Nokia option on Tmobile are not really compelling for me, plus i don't want to loose my awesome LTE speeds. I've heard the Nokia 1020 isn't compatible with LTE on Tmobile. Is there anyone here using an Unlocked ATT branded Nokia Lumia 1020 on Tomobile and if so how is the experience.

I need to know this asap as i'm anxious to get of ATT immediately. I'm even considering copping a Nexus 5 to tide me over until a Nokia 1020 equivalent comes out on Tmobile.

BTW. i ******* LOVE my 1020. Such an amazing phone. Has produced some amazing images for me and i don't even feel pressed to use my Nex-6 as much as i'm able to create great images with this device.

BrandonFrisby

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
You'll need to get the Canadian Rogers 1020 if you want to take advantage of the full capability of T-Mobile.
Pentaband and whatnot.

I will say that I've considered the very same thing, but the 52mb/s LTE I get at home on AT&T has me hooked for the time being.
Oh well.
If Windows Phone 8 doesn't prove themselves more appealing to developers by next summer, I'm going to be looking at whatever Sony's new flagship is, or devolving back into the Apple camp.
It gets tiring defending Windows Phone to people when I have to explain missing features are "on the way".

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered Straight Talk?
You still use AT&T cellular network and they have LTE sims now.
T-Mobile, have to have an unlocked phone. Straight Talk, an AT&T phone usually does not have to be unlocked

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered Straight Talk?
You still use AT&T cellular network and they have LTE sims now.
T-Mobile, have to have an unlocked phone. Straight Talk, an AT&T phone usually does not have to be unlocked

I need to ditch ATT but still want to use AT&T LTE band. This is a good idea. Tmobile is horrible in my area.

rndtan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I bought an ATT 1020 off eBay off contract. I purchased an unlock code from an online unlocker (not sure if sharing the name is accepted). I ended my service with ATT last week. It's currently using TMobile's LTE network in the Chicagoland network.

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I'd like to know too. I'm waiting for my Straight talk sim but I rather pay $30/m instead of the $45/m as I don't use it as a primary voice/txt phone, just for the data. :)

Btw, I did not a few unlocking companies and most either didn't offer it or failed at unlocking and are in the process of refunding me...

richardfhtagn

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Same...please provide the company who will unlock it. I am having trouble getting ATT to do it even though I paid for the phone in full at the microsoft store. =/

rndtan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I used cellunlocker. It was $25 and I got the code the same day. I wish I would have recorded it because I then went back for my 920 to unlock. The Lumias were painless. They quoted almost quadruple to unlock an iPhone so instead I waited for att. In the end I brought 5 phones over to Tmobile without problem.

rndtan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
TX6: My receipt is from October 7th. I do know that AT&T has restricted bulk unlocking for 3rd parties within the past month. I assumed that only affected iPhones but if it impacts Lumias then I can see why cellunlocker.net has pulled the option. Your best bet is to go through AT&T then, whether you are a customer or not. I had already left AT&T but needed a 4S unlocked and they processed the request within a few days.

Winfone: I was with TMo when they first came to Chicago as VoiceStream until 2010 or so. I never minded the Edge network or 3G (but I'm not certain whether they had that when I was a customer). Now, on my second go-around, I'd say that data is just OK in comparison to AT&T. However, I never encountered drop calls with my spouse. On TMo, it happens from time to time. It's OK I would say. I was in the Citibank building yesterday and all of my phones were without signal. At my workplace, I'm sitting with a solid 4 or 5 bars.

dratts

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I unlocked mine with a $3 eBay unlock. Worked just fine. I'm on t-mobile for $30. I don't even use the internet and the 30 mb goes real fast. I had a terrible time with straight talk customer support on my iPhone. If you need customer support from straight talk you're in trouble. I haven't had decent customer support from ATT either so I guess that customer support on any of the cellular services might be non existent.

richardfhtagn

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I unlocked mine with a $3 eBay unlock. Worked just fine. I'm on t-mobile for $30. I don't even use the internet and the 30 mb goes real fast. I had a terrible time with straight talk customer support on my iPhone. If you need customer support from straight talk you're in trouble. I haven't had decent customer support from ATT either so I guess that customer support on any of the cellular services might be non existent.

Was this recently? I've not seen anything on eBay for unlocking the 1020 from ATT, just other carriers like Rogers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb