Unlock without sim (AFTER the carrier has given you the code)

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I got an unlock code for my 1020 from ATT to use with local sim card on my holiday, but can you unlock the phone without putting in a different sim and waiting for the popup about entering the code? I want to make sure it works as it would suck finding an issue with the unlocking once I am abroad.

Anyone tried unlocking without a sim?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Unlock without sim

You need a random non att sim to put the unlock code, it wont suck if your code is correct.

As for "Can this be done without sim" - I equate this is "Can I roam around toting a gun in the public without being arrested?"

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Do you know someone, a friend or colleague, who uses a different carrier whose SIM card you can borrow? That's what I did one time when I received the unlock code from T-Mobile for the phone I had at the time. A co-worker uses another carrier, so he loaned me his SIM card for a few minutes so I could unlock my phone.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

I remember that with my Samsung Focus there was a way to do it on WP7, that time ATT sent over the instructions as well, but this time they only sent the code, just wanted to see if anyone had the answer before talking to ATT.

edit:
just searching around I found the following:

"1 - Switch ON your phone without SIM Card,
2 - Compose #PW+CODE+1#
To get letter P press * button quickly 3 times
To get letter W press * button quickly 4 times
To get letter + press * button quickly 2 times
3 - The phone show "SIM Restriction Off" and was unlocked"

anyone tried it that way?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I remember that with my Samsung Focus there was a way to do it on WP7, that time ATT sent over the instructions as well, but this time they only sent the code, just wanted to see if anyone had the answer before talking to ATT.

edit:
just searching around I found the following:

"1 - Switch ON your phone without SIM Card,
2 - Compose #PW+CODE+1#
To get letter P press * button quickly 3 times
To get letter W press * button quickly 4 times
To get letter + press * button quickly 2 times
3 - The phone show "SIM Restriction Off" and was unlocked"

anyone tried it that way?

dude... Did you read my comment? Go to your phone and enter ##7820#. It will bring up the unlock entry.

Barnoso

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi! I bought an AT&T Lumia 1020 without contract at a Windows Store last week, but have left the USA without being able to get the unlock code from AT&T (They wouldn't give it to me as I did not have an account there).
Does anyone know a way to unlock it? I have 2 phones of the same (one for me and one for my sister)
The only way I can think of is have someone with an AT&T account in the USA to unlock the phone for me. Can anybody help me with that?

binaypal

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

Thanks to troylytle, I unlocked my phone using ##7820#.
It asked my 20-digit unlock code which I already had from t-mobile and viola! Unlocked. :smile:

UNLOCK NOKIA LUMIA 521 USING UNLOCK CODE WITHOUT CHANGING SIM, JUST ENTER ##7820#

"##7820# bet it works."

sujay4

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

Hey, i have just purchased a Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T). I am unable to find the unlock code. Please help me to find the unlock code. A free unlock code generator or a true free advice is appreciated.

Thank You.

Sujay.

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

You won't find any free unlock service other than getting it from the carrier. There's plenty of unlock sites out there you can try.

anon(5356873)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to say thank you to the folks on this thread. I wanted to unlock my old 920 to give to my mom for mother's day, but the sim is going directly to her (500 miles away) so I didn't have any way of getting another sim (& all my friends don't have micro sims). Used the ##7820# & it worked beautifully. I can't wait to intro my mom to the awesome world of Windows Phone!

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

You need a random non att sim to put the unlock code, it wont suck if your code is correct.

As for "Can this be done without sim" - I equate this is "Can I roam around toting a gun in the public without being arrested?"

Yes you can where I live ! ;)

badgersmile

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

Where do you enter this code? the ##7820# one... Do you dial it? Also, do you need to be in a service area to complete this?

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

Where do you enter this code? the ##7820# one... Do you dial it? Also, do you need to be in a service area to complete this?
@badgersmile

from my own experiences you dial the ##7820# into the virtual numeric keypad just youd use to dial a phone number.,,,

And a image of a locked/unlocked padlock/simcard is displayed.
Dependent on the devices simlock status..--
No simcard or network connection is required

upon use a non o2uk simcard then prompted me for a unlock code entered that id already received.
then afterwards entering ##7820# into my simlocked on uk o2 network lumia 925 the ##7820# still showed network locked but upon re enter the unlock code again there in box provided ,then agay try the ##7820# simlock status now did show correctly it was unlocked..

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

Now its unlocked i debranded it flashing with a lumia 925 uk CV varient .
and now entering the ##7820# simlock status check does nothing at all ,i guess as i flased it with uk cv varient software the simlock status check code ##7820# part of the software was omitted due to all CV varients already being unlocked. ;-)

i also have a lumia 1020 that is vodafone Germany branded and unlocked from new sealed..

I did try the simlock status code ##7820# in that and just like after debrand/flash the lumia 925 the simlock check code dud nothing whatsoever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3