AT&T vs. Rogers vs. Telus model for T-Mobile

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
Okay so I'm getting the 1020 but now I'm hesitant as to which model I should get. I have a 900 which I unlocked and used with T-Mobile; I enjoyed Internet Sharing but had problems with MMS and group messaging (they never worked until I found a workaround). So I know what it's like to have an at&t phone and use it with T-Mo. I read the other day about Daniel's recommendation about getting the Canadian Rogers 1020 instead as it would be a T-Mobile like phone experience. Yesterday then I read from someone in the T-Mobile forums saying the Telus version actually fits better to work with T-Mobile. Now I'm starting to question if this really matters at all ? I could easily get the at&t version tomorrow instead of waiting for someone to sell it on eBay/Amazon. What you guys recommend?

bfyk

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Telus 1020 on T-Mobile US and I get 2g, 3g, 4g, & lte. The bands listed on the box are lte 700/850/1900/1700_2100; GSM Quad; WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100.

I Don't have T-Mobile's wifi calling app, can't download it from windows phone store(but it's on the 521 and 925). Haven't looked for a work around cause it's just not that important to me. I've also read support might be difficult if you run into problems, but luckily everything's been great so far.

I purchased from ebay, but I have to admit, I was nervous with my purchase. Luckily it all turned out great. I went onto the ebay.ca site and checked Canada only. There are lots of folks on ebay.com that don't specifically list the telecom provider or the bands. Even on the ebay.ca site, many of the listings are for At&t and/or international, so be careful. I contacted the guy specifically to find out if it was a telus or rogers version. He said telus and was courteous and quick to reply. So, I bought it. This is just my experience. Make sure to do your research. Good luck.

bfyk

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile and mms works fine for me when I edited the apn. There are lots of links on how to change the settings in the forums.

Last edited:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I'm getting the 1020 but now I'm hesitant as to which model I should get. I have a 900 which I unlocked and used with T-Mobile; I enjoyed Internet Sharing but had problems with MMS and group messaging (they never worked until I found a workaround). So I know what it's like to have an at&t phone and use it with T-Mo. I read the other day about Daniel's recommendation about getting the Canadian Rogers 1020 instead as it would be a T-Mobile like phone experience. Yesterday then I read from someone in the T-Mobile forums saying the Telus version actually fits better to work with T-Mobile. Now I'm starting to question if this really matters at all ? I could easily get the at&t version tomorrow instead of waiting for someone to sell it on eBay/Amazon. What you guys recommend?

Just because a couple of people are suggesting alternatives doesn't mean that anything will do. I would suggest looking into it before jumping. I do not know the carrier bands well enough to suggest, but I have long been hesitant about getting a AT&T device for use on T-Mobile. There are multiple people that are using Rogers devices, and like you I have heard some people suggest one or another Canadian company as an alternative.

P.S. In the thread you linked to one of the posters mentioned Wind as an alternative. I thought I had seen that before.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
T-Mobile and mms works fine for me when I edited the apn. There are lots of links on how to change the settings in the forums.

That's actually the workaround that I found out about but now internet sharing stopped working after doing that. I can't get it back even after deleting the APN. It seems I'd need to hard reset my phone in order to get back that function.

P.S. In the thread you linked to one of the posters mentioned Wind as an alternative. I thought I had seen that before.

You're right, I must have overlooked that

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte