Loose front glass on Lumia 1020

vanquishedagain

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey Everyone,
I was just wondering if anybody else also had this issue. The front glass on my Lumia 1020 is loose (it goes in and out a bit) right by the back button. The other 3 corners have no give but the bottom left does.
I've already sent it in to Nokia but they did nothing, I'm sure it was one of those "we can't recreate the incident" deals. I also sent it in because the camera was taking "wavy" shots when on the move and because to solve that the chat guy told me to reset the phone which then got stuck on the gears. Despite trying all the tips I couldn't get it off the gears and ended up just letting it run out of juice...
I got it back today and at least its not on the gears anymore, haven't had a chance to test the wavy images but sure enough the bottom left corner still has give...

Has anybody else had this issue? I assume that's how Nokia accesses the internals of the device but I wouldn't know how to refasten it.
I always sell my phones when I'm done with them and this not only annoys me but could definitely impact resale value when I sell it out of warranty.

The phone has no damage (physical or water).

-Vanq

BU2B2

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem in much the same area. It annoyed me to no end but then one day it just went away. I don't know why but I'm thankful. It hung around for a few weeks before it disappeared for reference.

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Same here, noticed when I was playing a racing game with the gas button at that place. Not sure if I should bother with it :/

vanquishedagain

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Well it's good to know I'm not alone. I sent it in to nokia once and they did nothing (wish I could bring it to a nokia place and show in person). Sending it back to Nokia today and included a video of the problem (cant really see it move but you can hear it creak).

@BU2B2 glad it worked out for you eventually Mine's been doing this for a about a month. Its extremely annoying to me but I'm also thinking of resale value when next I upgrade. Got $140 for my lumia 1020 2 years after buying it, (paid 99 cents for it on contract, lol) so I hope to get at least $140 for the 1020 when I sell it for my next upgrade. Would be pretty hard to do I think if not in perfect condition. Even aside from that its really annoying to me personally, just the resale aspect that pushes me over the edge to not having my 1020 (or any smartphone) while its getting fixed ~ too bad my Dell Venue Pro just decided to not work anymore... Thanks for the replies!

the camera guy

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I also sent it in because the camera was taking "wavy" shots when on the move
-Vanq

sounds more likely to be caused by rolling shutter than a fault with the camera imo.

From Wiki:
It is found on many analogue photo cameras - practically all SLRs use a rolling shutter at higher shutter speeds -- as well as digital still and video cameras using CMOS sensors.
Rolling shutters can cause such effects as: Wobble. This phenomenon (also known as the jello effect) is most common in hand-held shots at telephoto settings, and most extreme in cases when the camera is vibrating, possibly due to being attached to a moving vehicle, for instance. The rolling shutter causes the image to wobble unnaturally and bizarrely.

vanquishedagain

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
sounds more likely to be caused by rolling shutter than a fault with the camera imo.

From Wiki:
It is found on many analogue photo cameras - practically all SLRs use a rolling shutter at higher shutter speeds -- as well as digital still and video cameras using CMOS sensors.
Rolling shutters can cause such effects as: Wobble. This phenomenon (also known as the jello effect) is most common in hand-held shots at telephoto settings, and most extreme in cases when the camera is vibrating, possibly due to being attached to a moving vehicle, for instance. The rolling shutter causes the image to wobble unnaturally and bizarrely.

Hmm that's disappointing. It's weird though, my Digital Rebel XT has a CMOS sensor and I haven't experienced any such issues while taking pictures on the move or other. I suppose though, does anybody else with the 1020 experience this? If so then I guess it is what it is.

Haven't received my phone back from Nokia yet (they shipped it today) but if the return letter is true they once again didn't address anything remotely related to the loose glass and creaking. I'm furious.

vanquishedagain

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Well just thought I'd update. Received my phone back from Nokia (again), they did nothing to even attempt to fix the problem so I still have the loose glass. really terrible support, shouldn't have had to buy a back up phone while they had my phone and did nothing with my 1020.

John7Sea

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
+1 on the loose glass issue on the bottom left corner.
I wonder if there is any chance to tighten the screen by myself or go to a shop to fix this.

Laura Powers

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
FYI - I've got what feels like a loose, creaking screen, but it's in the lower right quadrant of the screen. Specifically, if the keyboard is open, it the screen makes a popping sound when pushed near the enter and backspace keys. I've made an appointment with an AT&T support center as I purchased the phone 15 days ago and the exchange period is 14 days. Seems like it may be a manufacturer's defect. Does not seem to affect pictures or camera in any way. I did have a short screen glitch for one moment on day where all of the colors seemed completely dull and diluted.

cwf1

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
Actually I purchased some precision screwdriver, and gently tighten the screw hidden under the SIM card tray and the problem seems to be gone.
There is more info in the PDF explaining how to dissassemble the phone, notably on the exact screwdriver to use. Have a look here for example:]

mine's doing it too, but only because i've had repairs done on it, by Nokia. the camera wasn't focussing so it was fixed under warranty. when it came back i felt one side (left) of the screen was higher but it never registered with me what it was. then last night i noticed the bottom left corner is not clipped in properly.

i do have a set of precision torx screwdrivers. i'll loosen it, try clip the screen in and tighten the screw. hope that will fix it. there's a 30min video of a 1020 being disassembled on youtube by 'lessons'. i'll post back with results.

vanquishedagain

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
Actually I purchased some precision screwdriver, and gently tighten the screw hidden under the SIM card tray and the problem seems to be gone.
There is more info in the PDF explaining how to dissassemble the phone, notably on the exact screwdriver to use. Have a look here for example: Disassembly manual for Nokia Lumia 1020 shows how to take the cameraphone apart - GSMArena Blog

Guess this is what happens when you don't subscribe to a thread (You forget to check it for a year)...
Any luck on fixing your issue?

My screen still creaks I've just learned to ignore it for the time being if there is a quick fix of tightening something I'll definitely give it a shot now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire