Lumia 1020 Camera Overheating

Dimble

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Is it normal that the camera of the lumia 1020 overheats? Specially when using the xenon flash? It is so hot that i cannot hold the camera for a long period. Plus, there's a sound when you shake it. the sound seems to be coming from the 1020's camera also.

thanks for your response.

GideonTerblanche

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Is it normal that the camera of the lumia 1020 overheats? Specially when using the xenon flash? It is so hot that i cannot hold the camera for a long period. Plus, there's a sound when you shake it. the sound seems to be coming from the 1020's camera also.

don't worry a patch will come but it seems to brme a problem on allot of phones even htc and samsung have these issues on windows phone 8. As to why dont know but Nokia will fix that can i assure you ;)

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi

yes, the phone can get very warm with repeated use of the flash, especially if you have the focus assist light on as well as using the xenon flash, this is not unusual nor a defect, as far as the " sound issue " that would depend on what you mean, when you first launch any camera app on the 1020 the mechanical shutter opens, and there is a very noticeable "click" also if you were to change lens or back out of the camera and relaunch it it will also click, this is normal, the 1020 has a mechanical lens cover just under the protective glass of the of the camera to protect the camera lens. if your hearing a rattle if you shake the the phone with the camera active, this could be the mechanical OIS trying to stabilize the camera lens, if however your hearing a rattle without the camera active you might want to consider your warranty since that would not be normal

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The sound when you shake it is the OIS, it should have been on a leaflet in your 1020 box explaining it. As for the overheating, I personally did not have an issue with it so far, but I don't use the flash very often.
How many flash photos in a row do you take before it start to heat up?

Dimble

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
How many flash photos in a row do you take before it start to heat up?

after 3 - 5 xenon shots, it heats up. sadly.

yes, the phone can get very warm with repeated use of the flash, especially if you have the focus assist light on as well as using the xenon flash, this is not unusual nor a defect, as far as the " sound issue " that would depend on what you mean, when you first launch any camera app on the 1020 the mechanical shutter opens, and there is a very noticeable "click" also if you were to change lens or back out of the camera and relaunch it it will also click, this is normal, the 1020 has a mechanical lens cover just under the protective glass of the of the camera to protect the camera lens. if your hearing a rattle if you shake the the phone with the camera active, this could be the mechanical OIS trying to stabilize the camera lens, if however your hearing a rattle without the camera active you might want to consider your warranty since that would not be normal

i can hear when it opens the lens and closes it every time using a camera app, but when it is close, or just nothing to do, i shake it, and hear something on the camera part, like a micro bead stuck in and rolling. but probably yeah it could be the mechanical OIS that im hearing.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
after 3 - 5 xenon shots, it heats up. sadly.

i can hear when it opens the lens and closes it every time using a camera app, but when it is close, or just nothing to do, i shake it, and hear something on the camera part, like a micro bead stuck in and rolling. but probably yeah it could be the mechanical OIS that im hearing.

hmmm, how hard are you shaking the phone, it is not a good idea to rigorously shake a phone with an OIS for the camera as this can damage the camera, if your talking about a soft shake this could indicate an issue with the camera itself, the 1020's camera is held in place with a mechanical motor that is activated when you activate the camera, and should not rattle under normal conditions, as for the xenon flash, it works much different than an LCD flash, an LCD flash when activated lights up a (L)iquid (C)rystal (D)iode that has an effective range of roughly 4-6 feet, and will produce a small amount of heat,the xenon flash works much differently, the flash tube is filled with xenon gas and when a charge is put to it it will "ignite" the gas momentarily, this gives you an effective range of roughly 8-12 feet, but will produce a lot more heat due to the "explosion" of the gas when ignited

Dimble

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
hmmm, how hard are you shaking the phone, it is not a good idea to rigorously shake a phone with an OIS for the camera as this can damage the camera, if your talking about a soft shake this could indicate an issue with the camera itself, the 1020's camera is held in place with a mechanical motor that is activated when you activate the camera, and should not rattle under normal conditions, as for the xenon flash, it works much different than an LCD flash, an LCD flash when activated lights up a (L)iquid (C)rystal (D)iode that has an effective range of roughly 4-6 feet, and will produce a small amount of heat,the xenon flash works much differently, the flash tube is filled with xenon gas and when a charge is put to it it will "ignite" the gas momentarily, this gives you an effective range of roughly 8-12 feet, but will produce a lot more heat due to the "explosion" of the gas when ignited

basically you are saying that lumia 1020's camera overheating is normal. right?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

That is just wrong, Nokia clearly states that a gentle rattle is absolutely normal for the 1020.
blur-free-l1020.jpg

Dimble

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
That is just wrong, Nokia clearly states that a gentle rattle is absolutely normal for the 1020.
View attachment 49852

now i get this

so i think the rattling sound is clear that it is the sound of blur free photos. now my problem is over heating of camera when using xenon flash, i tried browsing by using 3G network, and the lower back just below the camera, is heating also. is that normal also?

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's the flash creating the heat...

I think it's the amount of power the flash requires, I could be wrong but I'd bet money that it's actually the battery heating up from the juice being used with the flash!

Dimble

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's the flash creating the heat...

I think it's the amount of power the flash requires, I could be wrong but I'd bet money that it's actually the battery heating up from the juice being used with the flash!

how about your lumia 1020, you experience the same? also overheating while internet browsing on the phone in 3G network?

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
how about your lumia 1020, you experience the same? also overheating while internet browsing on the phone in 3G network?

Actually to be honest, my 1020 has been great.

I did notice the phone heating up a bit when taking pictures with the flash. However with the amount of battery drain (ONLY when using flash) in combination of the heat, I figured this was just because of the amount of power usage of the flash. When using the picture case, I noticed the phone doesn't get super hot.

Other than that, the battery has been AMAZING! and as for heat, the only time it ever heats up is when the GPS is turned on when I'm using certian apps, that's another big source of battery drain.

Dimble

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually to be honest, my 1020 has been great.

I did notice the phone heating up a bit when taking pictures with the flash. However with the amount of battery drain (ONLY when using flash) in combination of the heat, I figured this was just because of the amount of power usage of the flash. When using the picture case, I noticed the phone doesn't get super hot.

Other than that, the battery has been AMAZING! and as for heat, the only time it ever heats up is when the GPS is turned on when I'm using certian apps, that's another big source of battery drain.

i agree that its battery is better than the battery life of my 920. but this is just my 2nd day of using it, the overheating is my real concern. i guess, i cant avoid the heating when using xenon, but i rarely use it since 1020 is already good in low light conditions. but the 3G network browsing is kinda my concern for now

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
i agree that its battery is better than the battery life of my 920. but this is just my 2nd day of using it, the overheating is my real concern. i guess, i cant avoid the heating when using xenon, but i rarely use it since 1020 is already good in low light conditions. but the 3G network browsing is kinda my concern for now

If the phone is brand new, give it some time. I (and others too) had issues with the battery life, etc... for the first couple days/charges. And now that I'm thinking of it, I think my phone ran pretty hot the first couple days.

Just use the phone, plug it in every night, or whenever you empty the battery out. And see what happens in 4-5 days. I seriously think you won't have any concerns.

Julius Belarmino

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I had Nokia Lumia 1020, I was experiencing all issue with Lumia 1020 posted, however, all issue can be avoided and some are not, and very common issue with my Lumia 1020 is it's overheating especially when a lot of applications is not closed, however the GDR3 will help and it will resolved the issue on multiple apps in closing and opening. But in taking picture I really have problems because it will really overheat, may I know if this is a manufacturer defects or logically due to the processor wich only a Dual core and the programs process big enough.

Da1020Da

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Yup also need to know
Too much heat even for normal usage .
Juat some browsing or checking tweeter also had this issue.

This is my first Lumia and I'm a bit scared actually to use continuously like other phone..

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Dont say overheating, cause you dont know the temperature threshold and if you are actually exceeding it. ;)

It IS normal for the 1020 to get warm. I cannot say if this is bad or not however, but it does happen to apparently most devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05