I'm looking to buy a new phone off contract here in Canada, and the 1020 looks interesting.. have some questions for users who have it:

01 - Overall, would you say this is a solid performing device? Do you regret getting it?

02 - Do you notice any lag (ex: animation when opening/closing an app, scrolling, gaming)?

03 - If you had a 920, is this phone any faster?

04 - How's the camera? Been reading some threads of people unsatisfied with it..

05 - How's gaming performance?

06 - How would you rate the speaker out of 10?

If there are any major flaws, please let me know! I had the 920, loved it, but noticed a bit of stuttering in the animation when opening an app, hoping this fixes it..

Thanks!
    11-18-2013 11:36 PM
    I'm looking to buy a new phone off contract here in Canada, and the 1020 looks interesting.. have some questions for users who have it:

01 - Overall, would you say this is a solid performing device? Do you regret getting it?

02 - Do you notice any lag (ex: animation when opening/closing an app, scrolling, gaming)?

04 - How's the camera? Been reading some threads of people unsatisfied with it..

If there are any major flaws, please let me know! I had the 920, loved it, but noticed a bit of stuttering in the animation when opening an app, hoping this fixes it..

Thanks!
    Hi...
    1 Of course, it is super smooth... I would never regret to leave an android for this...

2 no lag at all, never had one since i have it (two months)

3 i never had a 920, sorry

4 i'm fully satisfied by the camera, it is simply amazing...

5 gaming performance are perfect as always.. Obviously windows phone has not so many great game as other OS, but it works good with those available..

6 The speaker impressed me, it is more powerful than i though, and also more powerful than any other device i've never tried...
    So don't think about this too much, it is a great device.....๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    11-18-2013 11:54 PM

Thanks!
    1. Yes I would. No regrets.

2. Have not noticed any lag whatsoever, so no.

3. N/A

4. The camera is outstanding. Those who are unsatisfied with it simply do not know how to properly utilize it. That being said, its biggest flaw is in its software. Harnessing its full potential isn't always the easiest thing to do.

5. Don't game on it much, but fine, I suppose.

6. Not very familiar with other smart phone speakers, but it sounds very good to me.
    11-19-2013 12:53 AM

Thanks!
    1. Until now, after some review about 1520 with Snapdragon 800, 1520 is only slightly faster than 1020. So i bought 1020 for its camera and no regret about my decision
    2. With opening/closing app and scrolling, i sure WP had no lag like android, everything on WP is very smooth and fast. About video game, i don't play game on WP so i don't have no idea
    3. I think 920 is the same or only just slower a bit becoz its ram
    4. The camera of 1020 is very fantastic if u can control it. I think with the Lumia Black will be roll out for 1020 in early Jan, 1020 will transform to a monster with new algorithm from Nokia
    5. Have no idea bacon i never play video game on my 1020
    6. Maybe 8/10
    11-19-2013 01:01 AM
    The phone is basically a L920 with additional ram. There have been a few software tweaks since the L920 release. Some of the lag you experienced may have been corrected.

Simply forget about the gaming performance. It's sad that the company that owns gaming can't get their p00p in a group regarding this massive issue.

I'm am praying they pull off second screen support for XB1 to WP/PC/Tablets. This would be awesome on a L1520 and an excellent draw towards, and back to windows products for a ton of people.

Build is Nokia. Simply elegant and one of a kind.

Camera is fantastic if you know what your doing.

Speaker is above average and better than most.

If you live in a country that has carrier contracts. Buy it outright on eBay or local resale sites for a deep discount compared to carrier pricing.
    11-19-2013 01:04 AM
    I'd like to add my 2 cents. The camera is awesome but hindered by some issues with Nokia's firmware-not necessarily from photography inexperience.

The biggest issue is incorrect white balance under certain conditions particularly in artificial light, flash, and grass scenes.

The latest review of the 1520 shows the improvements in the Nokia Black firmware and its effects on the quality and processing of photos.

I can't wait till these updates comes to the 1020 (which is soon!)

For a person who has tested over a 100 phones, I am very happy. I just wished Nokia had optimized the camera software to a higher level when they released the device.
    11-19-2013 05:43 PM
    About WP8... By now, I'm satisfied. Seems to be very good!!! I came from iOS and have nothing to complain.

But the pictures on mine 1020, not complete satisfied. Seems like the software kills (a little) the image after processing the JPEG. The image get a little blur (loose a little of focus) and kind of green/yellow. This really disappointed me. Rumors has it... When the Black update get released, it will be fixed.

Ok, "try using the WB to get better pictures" some will say.
    But the problem is not the WB. The problem is that the color of the picture changes after processing, no matter what setup you use at WB.

I made a video to show what the processing of 1020 does to the picture.
    See by yourself. The changes color is at 00:08 at the video, after processing the image,

Is it a bad phone? Not! Hope after the Black update it get fixed, than the 1020 will be perfect.
    I'm not telling you not to buy the 1020, just telling you the truth, so you won't get disappointed.

Waiting for RAW.

11-19-2013 06:39 PM

Thanks!
    1) Yes so far its very solid, No I don't regret buying it
    2) So far no lag
    3) N/A
    4) The Camera is amazing
    5) No lag in the games I played
    6) 7/10
    11-20-2013 08:34 AM

Thanks!
    1-YES! I bought the phone at launch had it for about 6 weeks, maybe 8 weeks, and went to the LG G2, big mistake!! Now I am back and happier than ever!!

2-Only lag if ever is sometimes opening a camera app, which there are many!! or going to app that needs a live update, otherwise no, and that camera lag people complain about; btw I am not complaining, its not even a second, maybe at most 1.5 seconds and that is exaggerating imo! Otherwise, no lag at all. If you are coming from Android especially, ignore specs, snapdragon is great, but for what WP's use, it really is over kill imo, I played with the 1520 that has the snapdragon 800 and it really doesn't do much, if anything to it. I didn't think it was any faster than my 1020.

3-The 920 was a great phone and still is! My sister still has it and it runs like a champ! A course, when it comes to taking pics and video recording and we are out with a group friends, I am the one they turn too! If you can afford the 1020, get it, the 920 is obsolete IMO, but still a damn good/great phone! That is what got me back into Nokia/WP! Plus the camera is still better on the 920 than those on most top androids out today again thats just my IMO after using many many Android phones, iphones have great cameras too, so its hard to compare since I really haven't used my moms iphone 5 too much.

4-See above, sorry! lol, Camera is great! I am not a photographer, and the settings were a little new to me, but the camera has gotten me interested in photographer and when I have the money I would like to get a nice starter camera! However, watching TV, bored late at night, playing with the settings, and watching youtube videos have helped, but in the end, I usually just leave it on auto, except for the flash, mattering the lighting. The camera is excellent! I have gotten many many compliments. One thing that many people don't mention is the video recording. To me this is HUGE! I love going to small rock shows at small 500 seat venues, and with all my past phones, except the HTC One, it was all distortion, the 1020, it is clear as day and I can zoom in and out and get pretty good video for a camera phone! Actually damn good video!! I have had the bands I record even make comments on the quality and thank me for posting it on social media sites for them!
    Also, if it means anything I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at some tablets, and I took a pic of an Asus one I was interested in and the sales rep asked if that was the 1020 and laughed and goes your the second guy I have seen with that, the head/manager of the cell phone department here only uses that phone. I found that interesting and at the very least a slight compliment, the sale rep had an iphone. I don't think you will be disappointed though, and if you don't like Nokia's camera app, there again so many camera apps there is for sure going to be one that does the job for you! For me it was just learning it how to use it properly.

5-I don't play games on my phone so I can't say, I know the store is growing, back in the day, well at least a year or so ago it was weak, say words with friends, and that was pretty crappy, but I can't answer that one. From what I have read in other forums and with the Xbox One launching I am sure the quality will improve!

6-The speaker is good, not mind blowing like the HTC One, that is in a league of its own, sorta how this phone is with its camera, for the speakers and using them for both to talk, and ringtones, music, I would give it an average of 6.5/7

Hope this helps! If your new to WP its worth trying, I see you at least are familiar with the 920, and feel you would really enjoy the benefits that come with the 1020, worse case, sell it on ebay and get your money back. Apps are there, facebook beta does the job, not the best, but works fine, 6tag is great! and instagram is suppose to be released any day along with 1520, rumor, and metrotube imo is almost better than youtube! Only downfall to some apps is you gotta buy them. But compared to android, no lag! I don't know if I can ever go back to android, their phones are good, except samsung, garbage imo, but WP and Nokia are really stepping it up and I can't wait for the successor to the 1020, hopefully a 5" 1080p screen! I have taken gambles on many phones and failed, just protect them, and ya you may take a $20 or $30 hit, but least you know you it wasn't for you. Hope this helped!
    11-20-2013 09:43 AM

On a 1 to 10 scale I'll give it a 7, Sometimes I do regret it, there are so many missing apps in WP8 with not viable alternative.

Sometime it does, but I'm running GDR3 so that might be the reason.

Not at all, is the same as the 920 with a bigger camera sensor, the 920 is faster at taking pictures.

Not impressed so far, I like the 920 pics better especially after the Ambler update, the white balance and sharpness is way better than the 1020 which struggles under artificial light conditions using the xenon flash.

Just fine, no lag or dropped frames

8, not as loud as the HTC One or GS4
    11-20-2013 11:29 AM
    Iam totally happy with lumian1020. Gaming is smooth and nice. Battery life is good. Camera is good but can improve with gdr 3 and nokia black. I say buy lumia 1020 .
    11-20-2013 12:33 PM