Did I make a mistake purchasing a locked at&t device? - Where can I get the unlock code

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
I just gave them the PayPal receipt and they told me that because I paid so much they will unlock it.. Maybe I just got lucky with the rep :p

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 Tapatalk

Just for the record, you are from here the states and talked to AT&T, correct? If so, maybe you were just lucky indeed. I just spent 35 minutes talking with yet another representative and explained the whole issue and she insisted that in order to get the unlock code I'd need the owner's last four digits of the SSN; therefore the owner has to contact AT&T directly. How much did you pay by the way?

They said I would need to provide Proof of Purchase, and also the IMEI if it wasn't on the PoP. In my reply I said that I don't have a receipt because I bought it private, but here's the IMEI. The next email I received from AT&T was the unlock code. But again, I have a 920, not a 1020. They might be less strict with the 920 since it's a year old model.

Did you do all this via email or you first called and then you got the email?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you do all this via email or you first called and then you got the email?

All via email. I never talked to anybody, except the first thing I tried was calling the international customer service. The rep told me they couldn't do anything. So everything was done by email.

Mitch Brown1

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
So I bought a 1020 on ebay hoping that I would be able to unlock it using my wife's ATT account or at the very least, pay one of the unlocker sites for a code.
Last spring, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to work with ATT to unlock my old phone so that I could use it on TMo and was hoping that they would do the same for this 1020 that was not in a contract. No Dice. Plugged in my wife's SIM, the phone works great, awesome. Filled out the online unlock request form, we all know how that turned out. The responses from phone calls to AT&T are disappointing to say the least. Called 4 times so far and the ONLY consistent information that they have is that one must use the online unlock request form. Other than that, I have been told: "Call Nokia, here is their number . . ." "The phone must be on contract for 2 years before it can be unlocked." and "There is no way to unlock any device other than to use the self-service form".
I know that I can give it to my Misses if I can't get it fixed, but I'm afraid it is going to cause a rift since she always seems to has a nicer phone than me!
Please let there be a way!!!!

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a 1020 on ebay hoping that I would be able to unlock it using my wife's ATT account or at the very least, pay one of the unlocker sites for a code.
Last spring, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to work with ATT to unlock my old phone so that I could use it on TMo and was hoping that they would do the same for this 1020 that was not in a contract. No Dice. Plugged in my wife's SIM, the phone works great, awesome. Filled out the online unlock request form, we all know how that turned out. The responses from phone calls to AT&T are disappointing to say the least. Called 4 times so far and the ONLY consistent information that they have is that one must use the online unlock request form. Other than that, I have been told: "Call Nokia, here is their number . . ." "The phone must be on contract for 2 years before it can be unlocked." and "There is no way to unlock any device other than to use the self-service form".
I know that I can give it to my Misses if I can't get it fixed, but I'm afraid it is going to cause a rift since she always seems to has a nicer phone than me!
Please let there be a way!!!!

Mitch, I also bought my 1020 on eBay and had no success unlocking it even with izik's instructions. Let us know if you do succeed.

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Mitch, I also bought my 1020 on eBay and had no success unlocking it even with izik's instructions. Let us know if you do succeed.
Let me explain something:
When you buy a device on ebay they have no right going back to original owner, unless this device is still on contract.
When you buy an att phone on ebay, be sure the owner didn't pay full price for that. and that's why they have a problem unlocking your device.
When you provide them prof of purchase or if your device WAS fully paid then they will unlock your phone.
In your case the original owner can be very helpful.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
Update: I'm still waiting for someone to contact me from AT&T - izik's method

So after having called them about 8 times now, I decided to do something different today. First I had been calling to the Spanish-speaking AT&T customer service since I'm a native speaker and I feel more comfortable speaking it with any customer service but boy, they won't go off protocol; and I thought us Latinos were more accessible. Anywho, I contacted the English-speaking customer service and started my call this way:

"Hello I'm so-and-so, I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 1020 at full price online, I'm not a customer and I'd like to request the unlock code please", by saying all this you're saving a ton of time with the representative. The lady who picked up my call was great and asked for my IMEI right away! She did say though they weren't able to provide the unlock code either thru phone or online (att.com/deviceunlock is only for customers) but created a case number for me (I've gotten three so far, third time's the charm right) and they'll return a call in a few days.

Hopefully I get to somewhere this time.

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Update: I'm still waiting for someone to contact me from AT&T - izik's method

Hopefully I get to somewhere this time.

I waited almost a week for a phone call, and 2 more days after that call to have my unlock code.
if they sent you a case # be sure they will call you back!

vimukthi999

May 28, 2013
Visit site
got a respond back

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:13 PM, ATTMobility Responds <ATTMobility.Responds@att.com> wrote:
Thank you for contacting AT&T regarding your unlock request. We now have a self-service unlock process. Please visit https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=5llIo-OV to submit your request.

Please review the terms and conditions that include: wireless or account number associated with the phone. In addition, all contract obligations, including term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. Additional information regarding the unlock request requirements are contained on the website. You will need to agree to the terms and conditions at the bottom of the page. After agreeing to the terms and conditions, you will need to fill out the requested information.

You should receive a response within 5 to 7 business days. Failure to complete all information may result in a delay or the unlock code not being available.

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

Office of the President
Please consider the environment before printing.

izik u think this is good begining?

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes. i got the same one. just reply back as i said on the email.

Guys it is very important to carefully read all the instructions i sent by email. each step.

jenia90

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought the phone on eBay for 780$ with the camera grip. I don't live in the US. When they asked the proof of purchase I just gave the a screenshot of my PayPal invoice indicating how much I paid and to whom. The rep told me that usually they don't approve unlocks to people who buy the phone from 3rd party resellers like eBay, Craigslist, etc.
So maybe I did get lucky ,but anyway this method works perfectly (not just for me).

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 Tapatalk

learntopop

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a different email (with a case number already attached) of course telling me to go to the unlock site (they are under the impression I got my phone via amazon when I got it from negri). So I replied back as izik said... waiting to hear back... hopefully tomorrow.

vimukthi999

May 28, 2013
Visit site
got 2 responds from at&t

G.H.Vimukthi sampath
NO 29/14
kacchiwatta road,
magalle,
galle
sri lanka

RE: Case Number: CM20140102_79961940

Dear Mr. Vimukthi sampath

Recently, the Office of the President received notification that you have filed a complaint regarding issues with a wireless phone you purchased. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced.

AT&T Policy identifies that the unlocking of a device can only be done for current or former customers. The policy also states that the device must be one that was sold for use on the AT&T network. In this case, the phone imei you gave me has no record of ever having been sold or used on the AT&T Network. If you have a receipt of the purchase from an AT&T authorized sales venue I may be able to assist you further.

Respectfully

Gary J. De Haven
Office of the President
AT&T Mobility

then again this,,

In order to use a cell phone on any ATT system a sim card must be used. The phone will not work without it. I am not sure this device was ever even part of the ATT sales inventory, as I show no record of it. Without that I cannot provide an unlock code, and in fact if it was never part of ATT inventory there would not even be any code for us to provide.

Gary

hmm????

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Would someone be kind enough to PM me izik's method? I sent him a PM, but it seems there may me a lot of PMs like mine which may be difficult for him to reply to all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb