Did I make a mistake purchasing a locked at&t device? - Where can I get the unlock code

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for contacting AT&T regarding your unlock request. We now have a self-service unlock process. Please visit https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=haK4eyek to submit your request.

Please review the terms and conditions that include: wireless or account number associated with the phone. In addition, all contract obligations, including term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. Additional information regarding the unlock request requirements are contained on the website. You will need to agree to the terms and conditions at the bottom of the page. After agreeing to the terms and conditions, you will need to fill out the requested information.

You should receive a response within 5 to 7 business days. Failure to complete all information may result in a delay or the unlock code not being available.

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

Office of the President

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You might want to give a try to that unlock link on AT&T again today. if I am not wrong, this phone was released on 10th/11th July and with 6 months exclusive, it ends tonight. I tried to put in my IMEI and it goes good today, which was not even recognizing my IMEI earlier !! Just check again once on https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...nt%2Fen_US%2FtermsAndCondition&token=Uy3vpBjS

But to do it this way you must have an AT&T account, or had one, correct? That's a problem for a lot of the posters on this thread who are attempting to get an unlock code. I don't have an AT&T account, even though I live in the US. AT&T kindly gave me the unlock code for my 920, but I couldn't submit the request online due to not having an AT&T account.

qseeinc

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys. Can anyone tell me what I should response to the att cost. They asign me case number and person. that person send me
email:
"Thank you for contacting AT&T. I am receipt of your request regarding unlocking a Nokia Lumia 1020. Please provide the original account information for when the device was purchase. Please include the account holder’s name, address, and mobile number".

What account information she is asking? I bought it from person who got att yes, but I dont know anything about his account. I have paypal receipt whats all I have

vimukthi999

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys. Can anyone tell me what I should response to the att cost. They asign me case number and person. that person send me
email:
"Thank you for contacting AT&T. I am receipt of your request regarding unlocking a Nokia Lumia 1020. Please provide the original account information for when the device was purchase. Please include the account holder’s name, address, and mobile number".

What account information she is asking? I bought it from person who got att yes, but I dont know anything about his account. I have paypal receipt whats all I have

tell them that all u have that receipt send them that,,,

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You might want to give a try to that unlock link on AT&T again today. if I am not wrong, this phone was released on 10th/11th July and with 6 months exclusive, it ends tonight. I tried to put in my IMEI and it goes good today, which was not even recognizing my IMEI earlier !! Just check again once on https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...nt%2Fen_US%2FtermsAndCondition&token=c76Yl6v9

Not a resident of states, dont have AT&T here, all I have is a proof saying I paid $450 to a random soul on ebay who is not willing to submit an unlock request.
View attachment 54164

Dezires

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
the problem is that even with a ATT account one still need the original owner contract to end and for them to submit the unlock.:( curse you giant death star.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
One week passed by and no one from at&t called me, even though the lady said I should get a call by the 8th. So having called them so many times in a month and half, I picked up the phone and called them again. I talked to the representative, gave her my case number and waited. She then finally had a resolution to my problem. I'll paraphrase her:

at&t: I reviewed your case and I noticed you had two more cases with us. I apologize for the inconvenience Mr. So-and-So but due to buying the phone from an at&t non-retailer, we are unable to proceed with your request. Your other cases had been denied as well. In fact, you are not even an at&t customer so it's even harder for us to deliver the unlock code. Providing these kinds of codes are actually a generosity from a carrier because these phones were made specifically for the specific carrier and not to be used under any other. The only option you have right now would be to contact the original owner. You can use our prepaid GoPhone plan but you'd have to wait 6 months before requesting the code. Other than that, there is no other way.
Me: I understand. One last question, (playing dumb) the last representative said that other way would be to purchase a code from a third-party but as far as I know, only the carrier has access to this. Am I wrong?
at&t: I had never heard of third-parties selling unlock codes.
Me: Okay, so just for the record, the reason my phone is being denied this code is because I bought it from a non-retailer, correct?
at&t: Correct

I'm frustrated by this b.s.
Anyway, does anyone know of trusted unlockers?

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
For those who used to be or have friends with or had ATT accts, they allow unlocks now for the 1020. I had my friend submit a request last week and we just got the email today. I unlocked my 1020 and put in my Tmo sim and it works. Before anyone ask me, I already asked my friend if he's willing to help others unlock and he said no, even if they paid. He only did it for me cuz I'm his friend. Just wanted to let everyone know they allow unlocks now as the acct requesting the unlock is eligible based on the requirements listed on their unlock request site. I'm just mad I prepaid 3m of StraightTalk... still have 2+ months left...

Dezires

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For those who used to be or have friends with or had ATT accts, they allow unlocks now for the 1020. I had my friend submit a request last week and we just got the email today. I unlocked my 1020 and put in my Tmo sim and it works. Before anyone ask me, I already asked my friend if he's willing to help others unlock and he said no, even if they paid. He only did it for me cuz I'm his friend. Just wanted to let everyone know they allow unlocks now as the acct requesting the unlock is eligible based on the requirements listed on their unlock request site. I'm just mad I prepaid 3m of StraightTalk... still have 2+ months left...

Congrats, on getting the unlock from them! I'm wondering that last part... Is your friends att account still under contract? Because I submit my unlock code via a active still under contract acct. Should I just resubmit it using my old terminated att acct?

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Congrats, on getting the unlock from them! I'm wondering that last part... Is your friends att account still under contract? Because I submit my unlock code via a active still under contract acct. Should I just resubmit it using my old terminated att acct?

I believe one of the requirements was that it was the device was either paid in full or contract commitment in which that phone was purchased (subsidized) was satisfied. I bought it used on Swappa but I'm pretty sure the guy was still in a contract though he may have bought it off contract. Most of us are thinking because it was such a new phone, it was only recently the site allowed the 1020 to be unlocked or at least request for an unlock. My friend's acct did have one line that was not on a contract. It did take a whole week for them to unlock though but their site did mention it could take up to 5 business days.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I believe one of the requirements was that it was the device was either paid in full or contract commitment in which that phone was purchased (subsidized) was satisfied. I bought it used on Swappa but I'm pretty sure the guy was still in a contract though he may have bought it off contract. Most of us are thinking because it was such a new phone, it was only recently the site allowed the 1020 to be unlocked or at least request for an unlock. My friend's acct did have one line that was not on a contract. It did take a whole week for them to unlock though but their site did mention it could take up to 5 business days.

But the AT&T reps say the original owner has to submit the unlock request?
So your friend isn't the original owner, and I'm not sure how this goes?

I called ATT and mailed my PayPal receipt which I paid to a bloke on ebay, haven't heard back yet :s

techsilver13

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Most carriers require you to wait 6 months to unlock a phone if you used an upgrade. If you bought it out right they should give it to you. If its certain phones they make you wait the 6 months (like the s4).

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Dezires

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

But the AT&T reps say the original owner has to submit the unlock request?
So your friend isn't the original owner, and I'm not sure how this goes?

I called ATT and mailed my PayPal receipt which I paid to a bloke on ebay, haven't heard back yet :s

I brought mine of Swappa off too. Hopefully, there some hope somewhere here for us. *cross fingers*.:unhappysweat:

The ATT Rep that i spoke with previously did say the original owner need to submit a request too. But reading the the policy at Att.com/unlock doesn't say anything like that...(does it?).

learntopop

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
still haven't heard on itzik's method... damn att reps!!!

But since the "6 months" exclusivity is (I guess) over... I managed to get a request in via their request site. And got my approved code this morning (oddly that's only 2 days later... I did the same for my 920 and it took almost 2 weeks...)
So I'll unlock tomorrow... and once my contract is up...im off to T-Mo.

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I just realized that since ATT is allowing unlocks that means most if not every single unlocking site out there will be able to unlock it now. I just got spammed an email for this site, AT&T Nokia Lumia Unlock Code. I'm not sure how legit they are so proceed with caution but I'm pretty sure all unlocking sites can unlock now so pay your favorite one and hope for the best. Good luck to all out there. I might even sell mine for a premium now that it's unlocked and use that money to help pay for the Icon since LTE devices are unlocked on Verizon. ;)

Mitch Brown1

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Just saw this post and pulled the trigger for this site before realizing that ATT is actually allowing unlocks via the web now.
So I submitted a request using my wife's account also.
Will let you know how they come back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)