Did I make a mistake purchasing a locked at&t device? - Where can I get the unlock code

addheat

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
just ordered an unlock via unlockusa, put me 7-14 days on hold. i had my iphones and other stuff unlocked via their website, usually no hiccups. will let you know if they worked...

Mitch Brown1

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
ATT unlock page
While trying to get my 1020 unlocked, I figured I'd request that I'd test the ATT site by trying to unlock my wife's Lumia 920 which is half way through her 2-yr contract. Here is the not-so surprising response:
Capture.JPG

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Spent some time talking to AT&T's customer retention people. Well, #customerretentionfail. After telling them that I'd pay the ETF and leave, they did seem to take some time to look at options, and then they said 'you just signed a new contract two months ago, sorry, we can't.'

OK, so I solved this the old fashioned way. I bought the 1020 subsidized, needed an unlock for overseas travel, and was told 'no' in many successive calls. Looked at my monthly ATT bill ($75 including taxes, 450min 3GB no text), compared it with StraightTalk on the same ATT towers ($49 including taxes, "unlimited" everything), and realized that I'd make back the remaining early termination fee in a little over a year. Transferred my number to ST, paid the ETF, and voila, "only" a month later they sent me my unlock code.

The only thing that bugs me is that evil ATT is still making money off me through their contract with ST, but unfortunately T-mobile's coverage is not acceptable where I live.

Edit: huzzah, it worked! Finally, I'm off contract and have an unlocked 1020. A month too late for my international travel, but still.

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
here is the deal people, ATT will NOT unlock your FULL price paid phone anymore if you never had an account with them (what they count as customer, apparently buying the phone from them doesn't make you a customer)

This is illegal and unethical, they hold no subsidy over your full price phone, and have no right to deny you recourse for getting the unlock code.

I'm currently trying to find a lawyer who will consider putting together a class to sue for the diminished value of the phone, which ranges from $75-100 per device based on current 3rd party unlock prices.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
just ordered an unlock via unlockusa, put me 7-14 days on hold. i had my iphones and other stuff unlocked via their website, usually no hiccups. will let you know if they worked...

$39.99 for the unlock code, whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaatttt!

----

I'm giving up already. This is day 18 for me and I was able to contact the original owner just recently. She's been accessible and she was willing to request the code. She sent me this email today:

Hi
They have denied my request and refuse to give me an answer as to why.
They just say that they have the right to refuse to release any device they want.

I am seriously pissed at them !!!!
I have never had issues with them like this!!!

This is absurd! They kept saying to me I should contact the original buyer so s/he can request the code. Now that she did, AT&T just denied her request? WTF

Dezires

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
just want ti update everyone that i got my code from att and it looks like there a high chance of getting it now. good luck and thanks!

miss_sephiroth

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just bumped into this forum while frustrated with AT&T and all the crap they are putting people like us through. I bought my phone on Dec 14th, full price, from a Microsoft store, by their instructions. They told me it would be unlocked that same day and still here we are. I tried pretty much everything and I am about to lose it!!!!

I sent a PM to izik770 but he might've missed it. Can you please send me his/your instructions to get this bad boy unlocked? I have filed a complaint with the FCC, the BBB and have been in talks with a Consumer Watch TV station, but I fear it might take forever without knowing if it will work for sure... :(

Thanks so much for the help!

vimukthi999

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just bumped into this forum while frustrated with AT&T and all the crap they are putting people like us through. I bought my phone on Dec 14th, full price, from a Microsoft store, by their instructions. They told me it would be unlocked that same day and still here we are. I tried pretty much everything and I am about to lose it!!!!

I sent a PM to izik770 but he might've missed it. Can you please send me his/your instructions to get this bad boy unlocked? I have filed a complaint with the FCC, the BBB and have been in talks with a Consumer Watch TV station, but I fear it might take forever without knowing if it will work for sure... :(

Thanks so much for the help!

sent a pm,,

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
AT&T opened up the floodgates for unlocking the 1020 so if you don't mind paying extra, you can pretty much use any reputable unlocking site that's offering it. Should be a guarantee that they can do it, it'll just cost you. I understand its not fair if you already paid full price for the phone but it is what it is now and if you want to actually use the phone instead of it being an expensive paperweight, just pay the extra and be done with it. Learn from that and stay away from Locked phones unless it's ez to unlock. I know I have. I was naive enough to think I can just buy a used locked phone and pay some site to unlock and that didn't go as planned

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05