Battery drain like no other

spoonm

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 1020 for about 5 days.
The first time I turned it on(right out of the box) it had around 20% battery, which lasted for 50 minutes and the phone turned itself off.
When I got home, I let it charge over night and turned off all the features I knew I wouldn't use, such as:
  • Double-tap to turn screen on.
  • Glance.
  • LTE/4G(3G chip, and there's no 4G yet where I live, plus I leave data off until I want to use it).
  • NFC.
  • Bluetooth(wasn't active, but just to add it here).
The battery went from 100% to 70% after 3 hours idle. I set the e-mail to sync every hour, not to be constantly looking for e-mails. Battery got even worse.
While idle, even with everything I know that drains the battery off, the phone simply goes 10%/hour, sometimes even worse. I then proceed to look for people with the same problem I have.

I have heard the following:
WhatsApp drains the battery, but if you uninstall it and install it again, it stops doing that.
Kik Messenger must be draining the battery. Uninstall it.
I soft-reset my phone and now I get outstandingly good battery life out of it.
The first battery cycle is terrible. Once you let it discharge and charge to 100% it'll get better.
I deleted one of my wife's e-mail accounts and it seems it consumes 1-3% of battery an hour, now.
HERE Drive+ and HERE Maps are draining the battery.

WhatsApp - uninstalled, installed again. Same. Uninstalled again. Same.
Kik Messenger - uninstalled. Phone stopped trying to fry my hand. Still the same battery drain. Installed again, this time no heat whatsoever. Same battery drain.
Soft-Reset - did it a couple of times. Same battery drain.
From 0% to 100% - done. Same battery drain.
Deleting one e-mail account - done. Same battery drain.
HERE Drive+ and Maps - uninstalled, since I didn't use them. Same battery drain.

I set the background apps to deny background tasks of:
  • Wikipedia
  • Metrotube
  • Ca?a Palavras(a portuguese game)

WhatsApp was still allowed to perform background tasks. Same battery drain. Blocked WhatsApp as well. Same battery drain.

No matter what I do, no matter what I turn off, I get this battery drain. Had the phone at 100% and closed everything I was using(just Metrotube), and it was down to 56% when I wake up, 7 hours after. This is NOT normal. What am I doing wrong? Really, help. Please. :unhappysweat:

These are the apps/features I currently have listed, when I swipe left:

1. Alarms
  2. Battery Sense
  3. Calculator
  4. Calendar
  5. Camera
  6. CamScanner
  7. Crunchyroll
  8. Data Sense
  9. Games
  10. Help+Tips
  11. Hotmail(e-mail account)
  12. ImageBoard Browser
  13. imgur uploader
  14. Internet Explorer
  15. Messaging
  16. MetroTube
  17. Music+Videos
  18. Nokia Camera
  19. Nokia MixRadio(Nokia Music after the update)
  20. Nokia Smart Cam
  21. Office
  22. OneNote
  23. PayPal
  24. People
  25. Phone
  26. Photos
  27. Settings
  28. SkyDrive
  29. Store
  30. UC Browser
  31. Wallet
  32. WhatsApp
  33. Wikipedia

The only live tile is People. Phone, Messaging, Hotmail, Store and sometimes WhatsApp change when there's new stuff.

What's wrong? I only installed Battery Sense today, to get a graph of it.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
like ultimateone said xbox and location might work, but based on what you're describing i'd say it's a defective battery, I'd get it replaced seeing how it only 5 days old
btw, I'd try to remove any battery monitoring apps, as they often make matters worse

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have everything turned on and 4 apps running in the background- whatsapp, bing apps. If I leave the phone on table, the battery drain is 10% over the 12 hrs period. If I have the phone in my pocket, the battery drain is like 4% per hr. Could this be related to extra sensitive touch screen:confused:. I have double tap to wake up turned on. Or the drain may be related to phone in constant motion. Did anyone experience this? One more item to turn off that may help - auto date+time.

spoonm

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I have everything turned on and 4 apps running in the background- whatsapp, bing apps. If I leave the phone on table, the battery drain is 10% over the 12 hrs period. If I have the phone in my pocket, the battery drain is like 4% per hr. Could this be related to extra sensitive touch screen:confused:. I have double tap to wake up turned on. Or the drain may be related to phone in constant motion. Did anyone experience this? One more item to turn off that may help - auto date+time.

I just checked to see if everything was turned off and it seems XBOX Live and the Cloud in Music+Video was on. Turned those off and soft reset, and am now getting 5-7%/hour idle. The phone's on the table and I'm checking on it every hour to see the battery percentage(I have uninstalled Battery Sense). Just turned off the auto date+time.

I'll probably try to get a replacement.

hahabowen

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem when I first got my L920. Battery life wasn't great at the beginning. but after few days/weeks of usage,I found it improved and I've been able to charge it once a couple days under normal usage. I think my problem was that at first I just love to play around with my new phone and that drains the battery like crazy fast(downloading app,trying out new games,playing around with camera etc all drain battery) but after a while, I kinda get used to the phone and played less and less and its battery life wasn't too bad. So idont know whether you are in the same situation as me before,just be patient and let the battery warm up a bit I guess. If you still have this problem few days from now, maybe consider to swap it for another one. I just ordered my yellow 1020, can't wait to get it in my hands:)

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Spoonm, I had the very same issues with my 1020 when I first got it - everything off except location, mail sync set to manual and I had a drain of about 14.5%/hr. My advice is to let the device be - for now leave all the settings up tight but after a while the battery life becomes more reasonable - also try make sure your phone is on 20% and then charge it overnight.

Now I have 3 background tasks on, double tap, LTE, mail sync every 15 minutes and I get about 1-2 days of moderate use - I found that over a couple of weeks not only was I using the device less (everyone uses their new device ALL the time when they first get it) but I think the battery just worked itself out. Leave it for a few weeks and if it still goes on return. I'm getting spectacular battery out of my yellow 1020 :D

hahabowen

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
And I also notice that ppl have far less complaints for the 1020 comparing to 920 when you look at the posts on their respective forum, which is a good thing and GREAT JOB on that NOKIA!

Scornt

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, I returned my Lumia 1020 because I had the same problem. Other devices are loosing maximal 2 percent a night, mine lost 10-25% which is definitly not normal.

spoonm

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Spoonm, I had the very same issues with my 1020 when I first got it - everything off except location, mail sync set to manual and I had a drain of about 14.5%/hr. My advice is to let the device be - for now leave all the settings up tight but after a while the battery life becomes more reasonable - also try make sure your phone is on 20% and then charge it overnight.

Now I have 3 background tasks on, double tap, LTE, mail sync every 15 minutes and I get about 1-2 days of moderate use - I found that over a couple of weeks not only was I using the device less (everyone uses their new device ALL the time when they first get it) but I think the battery just worked itself out. Leave it for a few weeks and if it still goes on return. I'm getting spectacular battery out of my yellow 1020 :D

I'm going to wait another week. I don't use the phone a lot, though. I use it once in three hours to check if I have any messages(WhatsApp), and sometimes I watch YouTube videos at night. I close all the apps I start, so I don't get what's the problem.

Well, I returned my Lumia 1020 because I had the same problem. Other devices are loosing maximal 2 percent a night, mine lost 10-25% which is definitly not normal.

I think I got the same drop, now. I don't know if I'm gonna get a replacement, though. Brazil's famous for both its absurd prices and support.

spoonm

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone for two weeks, now(checked it), and it still drains 20% after 6 hours in plane mode with background tasks disabled, after a Hard Reset. I hope I can get a replacement, since the screen also got scratches, something I wouldn't expect from Gorilla Glass 3 or from its oleophobic coating, which I think is also made by CORNING, and I only dropped the phone once, on a soft carpet, from a 70cm height.

reconrevelations

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I found that turning your volume down helped alot, auto brightness magically gets better life than medium, idk, double tap to wale is a killer, and i would suggest completely discharging your battery 3 times and never let your phone charge after it hits 100% no longer than half hour, the lithium ion battery is melting the cellular wall around the power supply, can also cause internal damage if severely prolonged, my phone eventually stopped overheating fter doing plenty of steps and tests

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Try minimizing the people tile and the picture tile which stop those tiles from constantly changing

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I found that turning your volume down helped alot, auto brightness magically gets better life than medium, idk, double tap to wale is a killer, and i would suggest completely discharging your battery 3 times and never let your phone charge after it hits 100% no longer than half hour, the lithium ion battery is melting the cellular wall around the power supply, can also cause internal damage if severely prolonged, my phone eventually stopped overheating fter doing plenty of steps and tests

This is just bad information. WP stops the battery charging once it's full, and resorts to topping it off after it drains a bit. Not only that, but Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer technology (every phone made after '06 uses one or the other) don't have "charge memory" and don't need to be conditioned. What these new battery technologies suffer from instead is a finite number of full power cycles (letting it die or get close to dying before charging). In other words, regularly/deliberately letting your phone completely discharge will kill the longevity of its battery FASTER. Charge it frequently. Partial charges are better than full. Leaving it on the charger isn't the worst thing in the world. Just use it. Top off if you're gonna be out late. Let the phone serve you, rather than you serving the phone. Phone designers chose this technology and it became the defacto standard for a reason: it's better suited to typical usage patterns than the old technology.

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I am also facing this issue Got my phone yesterday and i charged it to 100%. I was down to 10% within 4 hours!!! I changed a few settings - stopped a few background tasks, etc. - and I have kept only my outlook account, fb and whatsapp running in the background- charged it again till 94%, played around with it a bit and went off to sleep. The battery was at 83%, woke up after 7 hours and it's down to 76%! This is the stuff of nightmares!!

reconrevelations

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I am also facing this issue Got my phone yesterday and i charged it to 100%. I was down to 10% within 4 hours!!! I changed a few settings - stopped a few background tasks, etc. - and I have kept only my outlook account, fb and whatsapp running in the background- charged it again till 94%, played around with it a bit and went off to sleep. The battery was at 83%, woke up after 7 hours and it's down to 76%! This is the stuff of nightmares!!

Disable all bckground apps, and whatsapp is a discharger definitely, uninstall immediately, turn on auto brightness turn off glance and double tap to wale, my phone usually drains 0-3% a night

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos