Camera speed test

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how accurate this is, but its something to go by.

The most surprising result is the 920.. I really see no reason for it to be that slow.

The 808 is not listed for some reason, but it should be around the 2 sec. mark

Also, it should be noted that a phone without a dedicated/hardware camera button will take longer to launch from a locked state in a real life situation. In other words, you might be able to capture a photograph out of your pocket faster with the 1020 than the 5s for example.. I usually press the camera key as I am pulling my 808 out of my pocket so its ready to take a shot as soon as I have it out..

With the iPhone.. I need to be pressing and sliding things on the screen to get to the cam.

camspeed-normal-compare.png

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the 1020 and an iPhone. The iPhone is much more faster, for sure. Faster on starting the camera... And EXTREMELY faster taking the picture (after getting the focus). It's just instantaneous when you press the "shutter". The picture is taken, processed and saved in less than half-second. And my iPhone is the 4S... On 5S it must be really faster.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Which app was used on the Lumia 1020 for the test? The Pro Cam app? They should have also tried to run the test with smart cam app because if you want fast action shots that is for those.
Also the speed varies between taking 5mp+34mp and just 5mp; so its not really objective test by using just one of those settings and saying that's always the time.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The new snapdragon 805 should take care of all that.. I expect Nokia to announce a camera flagship in February at MWC based on 805

"As a guide, the 2012 Symbian-powered Nokia 808 PureView, which debuted the 41 megapixel oversampling camera, boasted a shot to shot time of well under a second, thanks to a custom Toshiba image processor that had a throughput (famously) of over a billion pixels per second. The blazingly fast but hand-rolled custom solution in the Nokia 808 was obviously not very scaleable or, indeed, portable to other platforms, so in contrast, the Windows Phone-powered Lumia 1020 handles the oversampling from the 41 megapixel sensor in its main Snapdragon S4 chipset, resulting in a much slower shot to shot time, of around four seconds.

Four seconds is obviously too slow for casual photography (though the default Camera application, much faster [though lower quality], also ships in each Windows Phone) and the appearance of the Snapdragon 805 chipset, with the same billion pixels per second throughput as the custom chip in the Nokia 808, could mean a Lumia 1020 successor with 41 megapixel sensor and oversampling with a shot to shot time that's a lot more competitive, down to under a second again.

The Snapdragon 805 processor is sampling now and expected to be available in commercial devices during the middle of 2014.
"

source

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
A lumia 1020 successor? I wish. I doubt they'll be releasing something similar again (41MP phone) this coming year. They'll probably stick to 20 MP being the standard. If they do come out with something better it'll have to be even greater than 41MP (for marketing reasons) or have a mind blowing extra feature. It took a while to replace the 808 (and even then that's debatable). It'll have to be further down the line I think.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think that they will just keep reusing the same 41mpix sensor again.. maybe add 4k video and couple of other things. If the 1020 didn't need the speed bump I would agree with you, but Microsoft know that it does so.. :)

quachhanthanh

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I'm very pleased with 1020 IQ but the speed of Nokia camera is so slow for casual moment. I gave 1020 for my wife and waiting for Black firmware and now I'm keeping my wife's LG G2. I'm very happy with the LG G2 camera speed although its camera IQ is not good. But with it i will never miss any moment. I hope the Black firmware will solve the camera speed of 1020 from focusing to saving picture. If not maybe i ll wait for the next pureview with integrated imagine processor like 808.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If not maybe i ll wait for the next pureview with integrated imagine processor like 808.

At this point this is highly unlikely. The best we could hope for is that they reuse that same Toshiba sensor in combination with that new snap 805.. I am sure that they can slim down the camera hump around the 808 camera module.

The 805 should be able to provide enough power for the camera.. more than what that over-engineered masterpiece currently has on board.

And yes, they can further optimize the camera app to take advantage of the 1020's hardware.. the S4 is not slow by any means. The Black update should improve things a bit

quachhanthanh

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
At this point this is highly unlikely. The best we could hope for is that they reuse that same Toshiba sensor in combination with that new snap 805.. I am sure that they can slim down the camera hump around the 808 camera module.

The 805 should be able to provide enough power for the camera.. more than what that over-engineered masterpiece currently has on board.

And yes, they can further optimize the camera app to take advantage of the 1020's hardware.. the S4 is not slow by any means. The Black update should improve things a bit

I think the dedicated chip for processing images like 808 (not the sensor) will not to big but it can improve the camera speed very well. Yesterday i used my 808 to take some pictures for my business. It very quick compared to my 1020, actually compared to my G2. If a Pureview can equip the Toshiba sensor like 1020 with a dedicated images processor, it ll be really pureview, a photography smartphone.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos