Record a Concert

Deralis

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I bought this phone to record concerts.
I am trying it for the 1st time and I see here a big problem.

When I am in the Recording video area in Nokia Pro Cam App, if I touch some wrong button (WP button, video button, my finger touches some wrong place, etc) it stops the recording. This is really a big big problem. I can lost parts of the recording which is unacceptable for a smartphone that says it was made for photos and videos. I can lost parts of the concert or even a lot of it if something happens and I am not next to the camera (I am thinking of using a tripod).

I am new to this, so is there a way to fix this problem? Can I block it somehow so the priority is the video recording and so if i touch somewhere it continues recording?

Now I am even afraid that even if I don't touch in the camera, if something like "Wi-Fi detected" or some other notice appears, it can put down the video recording.

I think I already saw some complete youtube concert with Lumia 1020. How they did it? too much luck? or is it something we can do to avoid it?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It can't be that hard to avoid the buttons...

Could always get a grip and maybe a tripod too. Grip will at least make it thicker and easier to hold.

Deralis

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
It can't be that hard? I think it is hard. We need to be extremely careful to avoid stop the recording.

And what about the interruption because Lumia says something like "detected place". Any news like "Wi Fi detected" "place detected" or something can stop the video. And I will not even talk about having my Phone SIM, because so if I received a Call or some SMS, so bye bye to the recording video.
If we are in a concert, we will lost parts of it. It is not acceptable

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
If you want to record whole concerts that are hours long as one video, you probably should have gotten a camera for that. While the 1020 is good at recording video, no smartphone is really build for hours of continuous video recording.
Aside from that, if you put the 1020 on a tripod you should not have any issues with accidentally touching the buttons, even a dedicated camera has 'buttons' that you should not press during a recording.
In regards to wifi and other notifications, just put the phone in airplane mode before starting the recording.

quachhanthanh

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I bought this phone to record concerts.
I am trying it for the 1st time and I see here a big problem.

When I am in the Recording video area in Nokia Pro Cam App, if I touch some wrong button (WP button, video button, my finger touches some wrong place, etc) it stops the recording. This is really a big big problem. I can lost parts of the recording which is unacceptable for a smartphone that says it was made for photos and videos. I can lost parts of the concert or even a lot of it if something happens and I am not next to the camera (I am thinking of using a tripod).

I am new to this, so is there a way to fix this problem? Can I block it somehow so the priority is the video recording and so if i touch somewhere it continues recording?

Now I am even afraid that even if I don't touch in the camera, if something like "Wi-Fi detected" or some other notice appears, it can put down the video recording.

I think I already saw some complete youtube concert with Lumia 1020. How they did it? too much luck? or is it something we can do to avoid it?

Personally i think it s not a very difficult problem. U can use a grip and tripod when recording sth like a concert. With wifi detected problem, i think u must turn on the airplane mode. I think u certainly hate someone call u when u re recording a concert.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
You can turn off the WiFi notifications.

I feel like this is a troll thread. Are you REALLY trying to hold up a phone to record an entire concert?

Hours of recording, man, that phone is going to get HOT!

Deralis

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the answers.

Yes, I will try to record the entire concert with a tripod.
Check youtube, Nokia 1020 can record concerts with great quality, the audio is better than video cameras. So if I have better quality I think it is better to record with this smartphone than with a video camera.
full concerts in youtube using Lumia 1020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9ppko5kp1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMUe4Sqlnfc

But the problem of quit from recording App and the 32 gb free space will be a big problem.

Deralis

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I was testing Lumia 1020 to record 1 hour of video and it failed.

When I turn off the recording it was about 1 hour and 5 or 10 minutes recording, the screen was saying that.
I stopped the recording and when I was transfering into computer by usb cable, I find the video only has 20 minutes and 33 seconds!! Lumia 1020 only recorded the first 20 minutes!!!

In youtube I only found one video with 20:32
I can't find videos longer with Lumia 1020 on youtube

I searched in google about the problem and I can't find anything. And I even found a guy who said he recorded 45 minutes
"Auto-exposure and focus works great, and it didn’t once fail when we taped it to the bottom of the camera crane (where it recorded non-stop for 45-minutes)." http://conversations.nokia.com/2013...oolest-video-ever-shot-on-a-nokia-lumia-1020/

Does Lumia 1020 has some bug, error that makes it stop recording at 20:33 ? it is impossible to record more?

Last edited:

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I was testing Lumia 1020 to record 1 hour of video and it failed.

When I turn off the recording it was about 1 hour and 5 or 10 minutes recording, the screen was saying that.
I stopped the recording and when I was transfering into computer by usb cable, I find the video only has 20 minutes and 33 seconds!! Lumia 1020 only recorded the first 20 minutes!!!

In youtube I only found one video with 20:32
I can't find videos longer with Lumia 1020 on youtube

I searched in google about the problem and I can't find anything. And I even found a guy who said he recorded 45 minutes
"Auto-exposure and focus works great, and it didn?t once fail when we taped it to the bottom of the camera crane (where it recorded non-stop for 45-minutes)." Free runtastic! Is this the coolest video ever shot on a Nokia Lumia 1020? - Nokia Conversations

Does Lumia 1020 has some bug, error that makes it stop recording at 20:33 ? it is impossible to record more?

It's not a bug. The Lumia will record around 2.5-3.5 MB/s. If you do the math you will realize that you can't record a 1080p video on a Fat32 system with a 4GB limit. Individual files can't exceed ~4GB, just like a memory stick. This applies to all phones unless maybe running an android setup with a custom file system?

This is not the phone's fault. That's the nature of the fat32 system. My guess is the link you are referring is shot in less than 1080 which will result in a smaller file and bitrate. If you want to record hours of video then you will need to buy a video camera not a phone.

Last edited:

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5s records video until the battery dies....about 2h30min in 1920x1080 resulting in 23GB file.
For stereo audio I need to use my SONY PCM-M10 recorder (snyc audio/video in post production) or connect the "Rode iXY" external microphone to my iPhone.
The "Zoom IQ5" stereo mic is being released in the next couple of weeks. It's supposed to work flawlessly with the iPhone's video app.
At least 32GB or 64GB recommended for long lasting concerts +2 hours.
Always use a flip-case so the display can't be seen by security if taping is not permitted.
Flight-mode + manual focus recommened (avoids focus pumping).

On your 1020 check the free space before the concert - 23GB free space recommended.
Stop/start a new video after each song to avoid the 4GB file size limit.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I have recorded maybe 8 minutes at once with no issues not sure what you are doing? Worse case shut off WiFi and just because the screen says WiFi detected doesnt mean it will show up on video and if your afraid of getting a call go to airplane mode
I have been able to zoom in and out and get some good video even drunk so I'm not sure where the issue is at? Just don't hit the screen if your focused on one particular member or object.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For audio only there is finally a great app called "Audio Recorder Pro" which records uncompressed WAV up to 96 kHz if needed.

Deralis

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
It's not a bug. The Lumia will record around 2.5-3.5 MB/s. If you do the math you will realize that you can't record a 1080p video on a Fat32 system with a 4GB limit. Individual files can't exceed ~4GB, just like a memory stick. This applies to all phones unless maybe running an android setup with a custom file system?

This is not the phone's fault. That's the nature of the fat32 system. My guess is the link you are referring is shot in less than 1080 which will result in a smaller file and bitrate. If you want to record hours of video then you will need to buy a video camera not a phone.

So they should have something that divide the files, like some video cameras that divide the file at 30 minutes.
This is not a video camera, but they said it is a smartphone to take pics and make video, they even give us camera grip so we can have more battery to record videos or take photos. And then in the end you can't record more than some minutes, and the phone don't even tell you it stop to record. I go there and it says it is recording, then in the end instead of the 1 hour it is only 16 minutes or 20 or 30 minutes, never the same.

About the space, yes I had about 24 gb or 25, it was a new phone, no apps, no sim card, nothing, I just wanted to have the maximum space to record the concert. I even deleted some apps that come with the phone like Angry Birds.
Then yes, the phone was in airplane mode during the concert. Even like that, the app turn off 2 times, without even touch in the phone. Too bad because if you are recording you don't want to lost any moment, specially during a concert.

I'm really disappointed. I had 3 video cameras and all them got distortion. Lumia 1020 was the only one with great sound, but due to those problems, I had to stop and start recording when the songs ended and so I lost some seconds of some songs and also the problem I said before, the app failed 2 times without even touch and so some songs were interrupted.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Most people don't record full concerts. The reason it's not the same length is because its a variable bit rate. Meaning the rate per second changes depending on what is recorded. Never heard of an app that splits video recording on the fly. If the phone isn't cutting it then perhaps an iPhone would work as suggested by another user

Deralis

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Iphone is horrible to record a concert. Only Nokia is good when it comes to record a concert Nokia can record with great sound, without any distortion. Even better than video camera sounds because nokia has a different microphone system.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Iphone is horrible to record a concert. Only Nokia is good when it comes to record a concert Nokia can record with great sound, without any distortion. Even better than video camera sounds because nokia has a different microphone system.
Are you sure? ;)
iPhone records seamlessly until the battery is dead 2h30min - no filesize limit.
With the Zoom IQ5 mic you can charge the iPhone whilst recording a concert.
iPhone + Zoom IQ5 external mic with Lightning adapter plug:
LMT Connection Your Body's Hot - YouTube
Zoom iQ5 Microphone - Tedeschi Trucks Band Live Recording - YouTube
the Walkervilles Recorded with Zoom iQ5 microphone for iOS - YouTube

Strangis

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure? ;)
iPhone records seamlessly until the battery is dead 2h30min - no filesize limit.
With the Zoom IQ5 mic you can charge the iPhone whilst recording a concert.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the quality WITHOUT a $100 mic dongle. :)

If you're gonna shell out a c-note for an external microphone, you're probably better of getting a standalone recorder like the Tascam DR-05.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the quality WITHOUT a $100 mic dongle. :)

If you're gonna shell out a c-note for an external microphone, you're probably better of getting a standalone recorder like the Tascam DR-05.
I own a SONY PCM-M10 with DPA 4060 external mics.
Am a taper since 1987...
The iPhone 5s and 2 external mics are always with me...the SONY PCM-M10 is not.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just did a testrun on my 1020 and there is NO 4GB-filesizelimit.
Recorded 1h40min video with "Nokia Cam" resulting in a 14GB file.
Running firmware ....3050...

WillemC

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I made a homevideo which is 31:19 minutes long.
So it can record longer video than that (and my phone has a lot of other video's, musicfiles etc.
The file I believe was somewhere around 3 GB large.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss