When will Nokia 1020 replacement be released?

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I would like to try the Nokia 1020 now that the price has been dropped to $99 with contract in Canada.

But I also feel that Nokia 1020 is a bit "incomplete", with camera software issues regarding color over saturation, and outdated internals (yes, the current cpu is adequate, but you can't deny that it would benefit from a faster internals).

So I would like to hold out as long as possible before I get a replacement for my Nokia N8. And I have an high expectation in camera, coming from a N8 :).

I would also like some Iphone features such as slow mo video, easy burst shooting, and general short lag times; and these would definitely benefit from faster internals.

The latest I could wait is about 2014 April, my Nokia N8 is getting quite too slow for me now.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No one really knows when new phones will be coming out. We haven't even heard anything regarding a new L1020. It's very much a niche phone.

As for replacing your N8 and worrying about camera quality etc. Nokia Black is coming and so is WP8.1 Both will probably add enhancements and fixes.

There are tonnes of sample photos on this site with some amazing photos taken by professional photographers (and some amateurs) using the L1020. So I'm not entirely sure what your concern is. The L1020 is a great phone and camera. As the saying goes if you're waiting for the next big thing you'll always be waiting.

Lastly, I used to own a N8. My L920 gives it a run for it's money let alone the L1020. Megapixels are not everything.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would like to try the Nokia 1020 now that the price has been dropped to $99 with contract in Canada.

But I also feel that Nokia 1020 is a bit "incomplete", with camera software issues regarding color over saturation, and outdated internals (yes, the current cpu is adequate, but you can't deny that it would benefit from a faster internals).

So I would like to hold out as long as possible before I get a replacement for my Nokia N8. And I have an high expectation in camera, coming from a N8 :).

I would also like some Iphone features such as slow mo video, easy burst shooting, and general short lag times; and these would definitely benefit from faster internals.

The latest I could wait is about 2014 April, my Nokia N8 is getting quite too slow for me now.

Uhhhh, are you talking about another 41mp camera phone or just the next one in general? Because the 1520 was just released. Is it not available from your carrier?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I expect one to come out in the summer or next holiday season.

I'm actually a little surprised that the next gen of the 9xx series wasn't released this season. The 920 is about a year old now.

I think the next gen will have a 930 with a 41mp camera. The 1020 will disappear because it was more just a stop gap to introduce the tech to WP.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
At what point do you stop waiting for the next big thing?

At that price the 1020 is a good deal. We have no idea whether or not Nokia will ever release another 41mp camera. Personally I think that the 20mp as seen in the 1520 is what they will go with in future for mass market phones. The 1020 is a niche product and I don't think a 41mp camera will make it to another phone for a while to come.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see a 1020 with 1520 internals and minus the gigantic screen size.

Oh and trust me, I thought with all the financial difficulties Nokia was having when I bought my N8 back in 2010, I almost thought there would not be another camera specific phone such as the N8.

Hahaha and 3 years later, we have the 1020 and the 808.

Like I said, I would like to hold out as long as possible, but I just want to see around how long I should be expecting.
And I am willing to pay more for a superior product.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure Microsoft, when they make their own handsets, will use Nokia's technology and release a 41MP or something along those lines, with high end specs.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I would buy it now and enjoy it for the maximum time.

However long you wait after today, there will always be improvements that might be in the "next" model. The 1020's a great device right now and well worth having. In a year's time, sell it and get something else!

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Evleaks said that a Lumia 1020 replace with windows phone 8.1 is in the work. No estimated timeline though.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

I've had both the 920 and 1020, and both are way over hyped when it comes to the cameras. Unless you're a professional photographer, or you're going to take all your photos under ideal circumstances, such as natural lighting outdoors, you will probably be better with another phone. My family all have iPhones, and during the thanksgiving holiday the only devices that consistently took out of focus, green, and oversaturated photos were my and my brothers L1020s. That is one of the reasons the camera reviews have been unimpressive concerning the 920/1020 cameras.

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had both the 920 and 1020, and both are way over hyped when it comes to the cameras. Unless you're a professional photographer, or you're going to take all your photos under ideal circumstances, such as natural lighting outdoors, you will probably be better with another phone. My family all have iPhones, and during the thanksgiving holiday the only devices that consistently took out of focus, green, and oversaturated photos were my and my brothers L1020s. That is one of the reasons the camera reviews have been unimpressive concerning the 920/1020 cameras.

I bought the 1020 as a secondary phone mainly for the camera. Didn't really care for the 41MP hype but I do care a lot for the low light performance which is much better than my work provided iphone 5. I take a lot of pictures of my daughter at home and we don't have bright lights around the house as we like the warm colored lamps. The iphone 5 photos I've taken can't compare to the ones taken with the 1020. I'm no pro photog and I mainly just either take pics with flash on or off, I don't even use auto flash. I have to say the 1020's camera is much better taking photos although the lag from saving the 41mp photos is annoying but I can easily just use the stock camera app if I need a bit more speed or change the options to 5mp only on the Nokia camera app. Outside during the day though, both phones are comparable. Though still, it's just another excuse to try Windows Phone... ;) Just saying that for some the 1020's camera may perform better.

Before someone trolls and say we could've just gotten a point and shoot and it'll be better. It's much easier to share on social sites with smartphones than with digital cams... :) Yes we're lazy like that...

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
i need the next 1020 to come out soon, i'm hoping to buy the 1020 used and the quicker the new one come out the cheaper the 1020 gets

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 1020 as a secondary phone mainly for the camera. Didn't really care for the 41MP hype but I do care a lot for the low light performance which is much better than my work provided iphone 5. I take a lot of pictures of my daughter at home and we don't have bright lights around the house as we like the warm colored lamps. The iphone 5 photos I've taken can't compare to the ones taken with the 1020. I'm no pro photog and I mainly just either take pics with flash on or off, I don't even use auto flash. I have to say the 1020's camera is much better taking photos although the lag from saving the 41mp photos is annoying but I can easily just use the stock camera app if I need a bit more speed or change the options to 5mp only on the Nokia camera app. Outside during the day though, both phones are comparable. Though still, it's just another excuse to try Windows Phone... ;) Just saying that for some the 1020's camera may perform better.

Before someone trolls and say we could've just gotten a point and shoot and it'll be better. It's much easier to share on social sites with smartphones than with digital cams... :) Yes we're lazy like that...

Every camera has certain advantages over another. However, most people want a camera phone they can use to easily capture precious moments,and the terrible post processing on the Lumia devices produces unsatisfactory results in most cases.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
We should see the replacement at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona which will take place in February of 2014. If that is the case we should expect it in store by May/June at the latest.

I am hoping for Snap 805, bigger sensor, bigger battery, and Windows Phone 8.1 .. a more powerful xenon flash would be very nice as well.

The most "natural" upgrade path from an N8 right now is the 808.. it does everything the N8 did but much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre