Lumia 1020 backlight wont turn off, camera issues

geghungary

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
hello everyone,

i have noticed that the back light on the camera (the small round one) stays on constantly. the lens cover was stuck open and the camera wont start. didnt hear the caller but the caller could hear me when in a call. no sound from the bottom speaker. all at once. screen ok vibrating ok.

i have noticed this when i pulled the phone from my pocket. it has been there for 20 minutes or so. before working fine.

managed to get some of the hardware working later by looping videos i have recorded. after 4 5 times the sound came back. then after plugging headphones in the jack and pulling it out again i could hear the caller. then downloaded hardware test app and the camera came back but every time i switched from still to video the flash went off. happened also when switching from front facing cam to the normal one.

anyone any ideas why this is happening and what is the fix? trying to avoid hard reset as it seems not to have any effect in most cases.

many thanks

greg

purevieweve

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have had mine since October. I looked at the back this weekend and the "focus assist lamp" (the smaller one below the flash) is stuck on. I had updated everything was running the "black" update including the Microsoft patches. This weekend I updated 4 apps one of which was the facebook app.

First I tried depleting the battery entirely, even after the phone powered off the light remained on for a few hours. I left if off while I was at work, when I returned home I plugged it back up and the light immediately turned on again. I then used the menu option to "reset to factory defaults," the light remained on although it did appear to ramp up and down during the install. I reset it twice using only a wifi network with no sim installed.

I now am wondering if it got wet or something, I put it in some rice, where it has been all day.

Everything else seems to be fine, it is an unlocked Lumia 1020 / Nokia 909 RM-875 on T-mobile.

offthahorseceo

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
everything else seems fine on mine too.

I dont think its been wet either, though my fianc? could be misleading me. Where are the LDI stickers on these?

i think more and more are going to start having this problem.

purevieweve

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I believe the water sensor is at the very bottom of the flash housing, which also is a seperate piece held in by the weight of the mainboards / battery and a thin layer of adhesive. I dropped my phone about a month ago, and had to replace the LCD digitizer. I took it off again to remove battery flex for 30 seconds, but when I plugged the battery back in that light immediately returned. When I watched the last of the take apart guide that is how I discovered that the flash module is literally the last piece you can remove on the phone, and decided to try the rice beforehand. I am giving the rice until tommorrow afternoon, although the phone was never submerged, it was laying camera down on the sink. I wiped a bit of water off of it earlier the day this started, I didn't think about it again until I was watching the take apart guide and noticed that the yellow body and the black plastic are actually two seperate pieces with a seam that might allow water to penetrate them. I will let you know when I put it back together if it works. Please keep me posted on your situation and if you have any luck fixing it. Part of me wondered if T-mo could have sent some sort of hack accross the sim...are you with them also?

offthahorseceo

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
im not with T-Mo but i HIGHLY doubt they would do that to anyones phone. That would definitely sour their reputation and would be messed up beyond words.

I may end up taking mine apart as well? Would you say its difficult? If repaired multiple iphones for people, and i think the hardest was the iphone 4, where you literally had to take the whole phone apart to replaced the lcd/digitizer combo.

If its harder than that i dont wanna try it. Any easier and I'm game. If nothing else I'll disconnect that light and go about my biz

purevieweve

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
No...much easier. I have mine torn all the way down right now...
This video helps a lot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrryosfNp0c

In case you were wondering, the rice didn't work. The water ingress label is on the top of the mainboard and it is still white. Didn't find any smoking guns inside, but I am going to leave everything laid out overnight mainly because I am tired, but it can't hurt.

purevieweve

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That light is refered to as the "recording light," in the official Nokiacare pdf. The design is actually rather ingenious, much better than iPhone =)

Jon Manalo

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
This is practically happening to my phone.

This is happening to my 2 days old lumia 1020 I cannot turn the focus assist lamp on. I wonder how this can be fixed! I am so stressed now.

:(

offthahorseceo

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
if it's only two days old take it back to the store to swap it out for another NEW one.

My issue is that if i swap mine out now, I'll get a refurb, which isnt exactly a bad thing, but it could have its own new set of problems.

offthahorseceo

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
No...much easier. I have mine torn all the way down right now...
This video helps a lot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrryosfNp0c

In case you were wondering, the rice didn't work. The water ingress label is on the top of the mainboard and it is still white. Didn't find any smoking guns inside, but I am going to leave everything laid out overnight mainly because I am tired, but it can't hurt.
ive got mine completely apart, have left it alone for a few days. am considering buying a new flash module

Did you get yours back together? did leaving it taken apart for a few days fix anything?

Rashid Munir

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh, i loved this camera, used it daily and it was my best buddy. but today same happened and now focus assist light is continuously ON, soft reset & hard reset didn't worked. cant open camera app or flash light apps. now trying to drain its battery to zero. Everyone here with same problem so kindly update me if fixed :(

offthahorseceo

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll get mine back together today for sure and report back. I can almost guarantee draining your battery will not help.

Im leaning torward having to buy a new flash module for about $40

purevieweve

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I put mine back together and the light is still on. The multitude of people with this problem makes me wonder, if this is a software update. I recently did a factory reset on my older symbian phone, which I had hacked to remove the camera sound, afterward there was still no camera sound. I don't know what a factory reset is really worth after considering this.

purevieweve

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
$40 sounds like a lot for the camera module, I think I saw it for 14 euro somewhere...I'll link it if I can find it in the next minute or two.

purevieweve

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, draining the battery won't work... nor will disassembling it. Did you install any software updates prior to this issue? I am leaning towards suspecting software.

purevieweve

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to update my os after the factory reset and it says "unable to check for update (80072f8f)" And my internet is working fine...I am starting to wonder if it is a virus. I heard there was a known vulnerability with internet explorer recently...

After turning location sharing on, and checking for update it now says that I am up to date.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion