After 5 years of iPhones I've officially converted.

the4ork

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
So i've had an iPhone ever since the first xmas they came out. 2007? the iphone "2g"
and i've had them all except the 3gs/4s. the 4 was the only real leaps in bounds as far as upgrades go. when i went from 4 to 5.... what a disappointment. waste of $

I have my first kid due in January, and with the poor performance of the iPhone camera, and complete lack of upgrade from 4-5s it was finally time to ditch the iPhone (dont even get me started on iTunes, as a windows user)

so, here I am.

so far I am pleased, the home screen is pretty cluttered and im slowly getting used to it after a days use. I miss having the docked icons but hopefully i'll forget they ever existed. some of the apps like facebook are much less refined on windows in my opinion so far, which im sure will hopefully get better over time like they have on iOS.

down to some other points.

the camera is great, but sometimes the pics come out with a yellow tint, regardless of settings... how do i fix this? and should i be using the nokia cam app or something else?

is there a jailbreak/unlock? and if so what are the benefits?

anything else i should know?

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
So i've had an iPhone ever since the first xmas they came out. 2007? the iphone "2g"
and i've had them all except the 3gs/4s. the 4 was the only real leaps in bounds as far as upgrades go. when i went from 4 to 5.... what a disappointment. waste of $

I have my first kid due in January, and with the poor performance of the iPhone camera, and complete lack of upgrade from 4-5s it was finally time to ditch the iPhone (dont even get me started on iTunes, as a windows user)

so, here I am.

so far I am pleased, the home screen is pretty cluttered and im slowly getting used to it after a days use. I miss having the docked icons but hopefully i'll forget they ever existed. some of the apps like facebook are much less refined on windows in my opinion so far, which im sure will hopefully get better over time like they have on iOS.

down to some other points.

the camera is great, but sometimes the pics come out with a yellow tint, regardless of settings... how do i fix this? and should i be using the nokia cam app or something else?

is there a jailbreak/unlock? and if so what are the benefits?

anything else i should know?
Good for you,you will get used to wimdowsphone (y) .dont know about the camera thingy coz I don't use it much.you can unlock your phone by registering as a developer,find details by googling it,or on the Microsoft website.you will have to download SDK for that.disadvantages are that it will void your warranty,advantages are that you ca develope apps and test them on your phone.but you can't use cracked games or hacks like apk on android as far as I know,also don't try it because it is defined as piracy.you will also find less games and apps as compared to the other 2 OS s but we are getting apps/games regularly now. because we have started to grow.this is a review of wp8 using my experience on it,I may be wrong in some areas.for the record I own a nl620 gdr3 developer preview.good luck!!! ;) :)

the4ork

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
i forgot to mention, i traded my i5 for this phone.

i just did a hard reset because it would not let me change the 'Microsoft account'

and now i have these spinning gears for like 15 minutes... after doing some googling... looks like i might be f*ked.... been trying to do all the button holding/releasing combos. can get the lightning bolt /w gear but other than that it just locks up every time and wont boot.

awesome.

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
Congratulations on Your new 1020 :). Did You update your phone and camera apps as well? You can try using ProShot (app) for Your pictures. It has a lot of settings and supports up to 12 mpx resolution on 1020.
If You want to stick with 34+5 mpx version of Nokia Camera and changing WB doesn't help, only viable option is post processing right now. Nokia announced some changes in upcoming update so it's worth waiting for.

the4ork

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
got frustrated and left the gears turning while the phone plugged into to usb on my pc.

after about an hour i noticed it randomly started up. win!

tonbonz

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
got frustrated and left the gears turning while the phone plugged into to usb on my pc.

after about an hour i noticed it randomly started up. win!

There's a fix for the spinning gears issue using Nokia Care Suite if it should happen again. Just search the WPCentral site or forums. As far as jail breaking on WP8 the Samsung Ativ's are the only fully unlocked phones so far. Registering and developer unlocking using the SDK limits the type of apps and the number you can sideload. You can't side load apps downloaded from the store and depending on the type of developer account the numbers range from 3 to 10 apps side loaded and installed. For example if your dev account only allows 3 you can only have 3 side loaded apps installed at once or you have to delete one to side load another. I suggest checking the xda wp8 forums and remember Google is your friend. :) Welcome aboard!!!

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
the4ork,

Regarding the yellowish looking picture, try turning off the flash. It's a known issue with this phone. The picture quality is great but it does have a yellowish image right out of the box. You would think Nokia would've gotten the out of the box settings correct, but oh well.

Personally, I turn off the flash most of the time. And if that doesn't work, play with the white balance settings. After a week or so of figuring out the behavior of this phone, I can get good pictures.

There's no jailbreak equivalent for the 1020, AFAIK.

As other posters has mentioned, update the apps to the latest version in the Store.

Good luck.

dryspuri

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, surpisingly, windows phone is more closed than either 2 os, its not that popular, so no developer want to waste there time in tinkering with the phone, I think microsoft thinks same way. Only company working on the phone and os is nokia. I am very happy with my lumia 1020, I also had yellow tint, I reset the phone and now pictures are clear.

My only gripe is smart dial and quality apps. and I also miss notification centre but nobody can beat 1020 camera. thats for sure!""!! I make myself happy with that fact!!

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
i forgot to mention, i traded my i5 for this phone.

i just did a hard reset because it would not let me change the 'Microsoft account'

and now i have these spinning gears for like 15 minutes... after doing some googling... looks like i might be f*ked.... been trying to do all the button holding/releasing combos. can get the lightning bolt /w gear but other than that it just locks up every time and wont boot.

awesome.
Thought this was a troll thread until this post. Welcome to the "halfway- there" world of windows phones. Hope things get better for you.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone. I would say you may face a few difficulties at the start but believe me once you get the hang of it you will ignore the few hitches and glitches. I would say this is the most personal phone. And yes the smoothest interface.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
some of the apps like facebook are much less refined on windows in my opinion so far

Hi and welcome. The FB experience has not been good here at WP, and Ive have been complaining about the fact that a big company like MS cant do a decent app for it. Now I have to say, that the latest Facebook Beta app is actually a big step to the right direction. The load times are decent and whats unbeliavable that notifications actually work!?! Its still missing some features like accepting group invite and whatnot, but in general its now much better and definitely a step to the right direction.

You cant find the beta from the store using a search, but for example you find the link from the WPCentral news.

Really love that if you have a mid-size (or big) tile pinned, and the notifications actually come in on time, you can directly see the latest message or activity in the tile without opening the app. Very usefull.

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I changed my iPhone 4S to the Lumia 1020.

But, in fact... Not that satisfied yet. Trying to know better this new OS.

The pictures, they are better than iOS, but it can get much better. Rumor has it the problem is the Amber update, and with Black, it will get better.
The processing JPG of WP makes the poor quality.
That was my biggest disappointment on Lumia 1020, because I converted to WP because of the camera.

Some people say that you can get the yellow/green issue solved by WB setup. Sure not. The problem is that the phone changes the color of image after saving. No matter what setup you use. It will be changed. And some focus lost.
See this topic below about pictures:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...processing-killing-image-quality-samples.html

And, some others "problems" I've been experiencing in my conversion from iOS to WP:

1) Can't send videos by email in full resolution. The phone automatically compress it... To a terrible resolution. The compression on iOS was optional and simply great!
2) Can't send videos/MP3 from library to Whatsapp or other applications (Facebook, etc). This really sucks. Hope it get fixed soon.
3) Can't send full resolution images by email... Come on!!
4) There is no way to add custom keyboards shortcuts (typing "omg" and it get replaced by "oh my god"). It really makes difference when typing.
5) There is no control center (to fast access display brightness and other features from configuration).

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
After 4 weeks of using my Lumia 521, I had a hard time last night navigating my old Samsung on Android. Just time will make you familiar with the OS. I don't miss my iPad as well, I do a lot more content consumption on the Lumia - thank you Phonly!

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I changed my iPhone 4S to the Lumia 1020.

4) There is no way to add custom keyboards shortcuts (typing "omg" and it get replaced by "oh my god"). It really makes difference when typing.

If what you are saying is you can't add personalized phrases or words to the predictive text database, you can. Type the word/phrase you want to add in a text box in mail or sms, long press it to select the whole string and right below it should appear the string with a "+" sign. Select that to add the string and it will appear for you next time you start to type it.

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome, the4ork. WP8 rocks! I went from an iPhone 4 (my only iPhone) back to Nokia with the Lumia 810 last November, then went to an unlocked 920 in May. It's just so much better in every way. You'll absolutely love taking pictures of your new baby with the 1020's camera. Again, I have a 920, not a 1020, but from what I've seen of WP8, the Nokia Lumia line take excellent photos, and that goes even for the 521, which my best friend has. Enjoy your phone and the platform! :grin:

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Like you i was with iPhone since 2007 and the 4 to 5 upgrade was extremely lacking. I love WP8 now, the camera on the 1020 is simply stunning but it does behave differently to the iOS camera and that takes a slight learning curve (I'm not just talking about the manual controls either) you will learn in time for the arrival of your baby exactly how to get the best from it and believe me it leaves the iOS camera for dust

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
welcome, you made the right choice, this is the next ship to be on.

About the camera issue, yes its there, and yes it has been solved, but me being an update freak. i don't really remember which update i made that got me to fix it, its either the Nokia Procam (which IMO the best camera app ever), or its GDR3, which you might be getting soon, or you can search for the way to download it, because its very easy and 0% risk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium