After 5 years of iPhones I've officially converted.

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
If what you are saying is you can't add personalized phrases or words to the predictive text database, you can. Type the word/phrase you want to add in a text box in mail or sms, long press it to select the whole string and right below it should appear the string with a "+" sign. Select that to add the string and it will appear for you next time you start to type it.

Hum... No, I'm not trying to add new words to the database. I'm trying to add shortcuts. Example: in IOS I made the word "e1" the shortcut for my email. Everytime I wrote "e1", it was changed automatically to "del_rj@live.com". Save a lot of time.

I didn't figure out how to do that on WP.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hum... No, I'm not trying to add new words to the database. I'm trying to add shortcuts. Example: in IOS I made the word "e1" the shortcut for my email. Everytime I wrote "e1", it was changed automatically to "del_rj@live.com". Save a lot of time.

You're right, that's one thing I miss from my old symbian times (yes, they had it first) ;)

the4ork

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
OP HERE!

how do i go back/forward in internet explorer? i can use the permanent back button to go to previous pages, but how do i go back forward again. this is yet another unrefined goof-up on microsoft and all these unrefinements are starting to add up. I feel like im using a beta-test phone...

im just SO utterly dissapointed with my windows phone. I was so fed up with iOS7 I figured the android/windows market was at least on par, or only slightly sub par with iOS. Good god, I feel like a 5 year step back. However, i did realize the camera was fixed after the grinding gears/reset fiasco.

NEW THINGS TO RANT ABOUT

now youtube.... ive tried various youtube apps with no avail.... I cant seem to find one that will let you use the status bar to fast forward or rewind back to the spot i want to be. seems like theirs a option to speed forward or back but its completely useless as the chances of it going to the spot i want are none.
Is there a remedy for this? again, feels all very beta...

other apps i use alot are pintrest, which feels slower than just using IE on the website, that app is almost worthless, and then there is facebook. which feels like the iphone app from back in the iPhone 2g days...

then there are maps apps. I was hoping there would be microsofts version of apple maps / google maps... Like i could search burgers, and the places that sell burgers would pop up, with a star rating from whatever microsoft owned app, like say urbanspoon (dont know if they are affiliated with MS in any way, just a reference) so that all the names of burger places pop up, with their urban spoon star rating, and when you click on one you get all the info, directions options, and reviews. I LOVED this feature in iOS, and it is much missed :(

ranting aside, and suggestions?

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that I can really answer is the YouTube part. Google isn't allowing Microsoft to use YouTube apps. This has been an ongoing problem. The two companies don't get along, that's why the YouTube apps don't work, Google won't allow them to.

As for the burger searching, local scout does a pretty good job of that. If you turn on your location settings, click the search button, then look at the bottom of the screen and press the buildings icon, it will bring up places around you. Then if you want to narrow your search, there are other options you can access to narrow is to specific things you're looking for. Then, you can see what people rate them as, get the directions, phone number, hours, etc. It's very helpful and fast.

As for the app basis on WP, it's growing. That's about all I can say for it. Developers are trying to work as fast as they can, but they have lives too if they are 3rd party. The Facebook app is made my Microsoft so they are always working on it. If you get the beta app you'll like it much better than the regular one. By much better, I mean better than the Microsoft regular Facebook app. iOS has a better Facebook app, but Microsoft is quickly trying to work out the kinks to make it better and up to speed with the iOS and Android versions. Keep in mind with all of this, WP has only been around since 2010. It's still rather new, and switching from an updated UI (iOS) to a newer UI (WP) there are going to be draw backs. However, there are many unique features in WP that iOS doesn't offer, particularly your camera. I love my 1020. I didn't switch like you did, but my girlfriend has an iPhone 4 and all my friends have the 5 or 5s. There are many times where they have asked me to take the pictures or videos because their camera can't cut it. They always ask me to look for directions because Bing maps counts in live traffic reports, not sure about Nokia Drive, but it still is just as good. If I'd suggest anything, just be patient, play around with your phone, and get used to it. If you give it a chance, I promise you'll like it. There are many iPhone users switching for the same reason as you that are going through what you are. They just give it time and play around with the new change. Everyone UI has it's unique things about it, it's more up to you to find out which one if going to benefit you more. In my opinion, with your new child on the way, I'd have to say that Windows Phone will be your safest bet for the camera. Just keep in mind, you can't get really close with the camera. 6 inches is about the closest you can get, just remember that you can zoom in after the picture is taken and crop out the other parts. This link will give you an amazing tutorial about your camera. This is how I learned to use mine. You'll appreciate it even more once you familiarize yourself with it. Nokia Photo Masters - Nokia - USA

Sorry for the long post. Let me know if this helps at all. I'm more than willing to answer questions and be realistic about your switch and whether WP or iPhone is better for you.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
OP HERE!

how do i go back/forward in internet explorer? i can use the permanent back button to go to previous pages, but how do i go back forward again. this is yet another unrefined goof-up on microsoft and all these unrefinements are starting to add up. I feel like im using a beta-test phone...

im just SO utterly dissapointed with my windows phone. You're just disappointed it handles differently, You'll get used to it I was so fed up with iOS7 I figured the android/windows market was at least on par, or only slightly sub par with iOS. Good god, I feel like a 5 year step back. (actually it's true, WP8 is only a year old) However, i did realize the camera was fixed after the grinding gears/reset fiasco.

NEW THINGS TO RANT ABOUT

now youtube.... ive tried various youtube apps with no avail.... I cant seem to find one that will let you use the status bar to fast forward or rewind back to the spot i want to be. seems like theirs a option to speed forward or back but its completely useless as the chances of it going to the spot i want are none.
Is there a remedy for this? again, feels all very beta... try MyTube - that scrolls by swiping the whole screen left and right

other apps i use alot are pintrest, which feels slower than just using IE on the website, that app is almost worthless, and then there is facebook. which feels like the iphone app from back in the iPhone 2g days... I use the touch.facebook.com, I find it perfectly ok - for the most part I use the integrated functions in WP8 itself

then there are maps apps. I was hoping there would be microsofts version of apple maps / google maps... Like i could search burgers, and the places that sell burgers would pop up, with a star rating from whatever microsoft owned app, like say urbanspoon (dont know if they are affiliated with MS in any way, just a reference) so that all the names of burger places pop up, with their urban spoon star rating, and when you click on one you get all the info, directions options, and reviews. I LOVED this feature in iOS, and it is much missed :( what country? Sure in some countries there's less POIs then in others, but for the most part the Scout searches just fine. And HERE maps are available for all brands - what's wrong with them?

I suggest You go through this thread before ranting any further ;) Research first, rant later... Gosh, newbies... ;)

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Ok, got ya. I think that is probably something I would not use much, but I can see how many others would find that indispensable. Maybe it will come out as an app before it gets put into the OS.

gb33

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
OP HERE!

im just SO utterly dissapointed with my windows phone. I was so fed up with iOS7 I figured the android/windows market was at least on par, or only slightly sub par with iOS. Good god, I feel like a 5 year step back. However, i did realize the camera was fixed after the grinding gears/reset fiasco.

NEW THINGS TO RANT ABOUT

Is there a remedy for this? again, feels all very beta...

other apps i use alot are pintrest, which feels slower than just using IE on the website, that app is almost worthless, and then there is facebook. which feels like the iphone app from back in the iPhone 2g days...

then there are maps apps. I was hoping there would be microsofts version of apple maps / google maps... Like i could search burgers, and the places that sell burgers would pop up, with a star rating from whatever microsoft owned app, like say urbanspoon (dont know if they are affiliated with MS in any way, just a reference) so that all the names of burger places pop up, with their urban spoon star rating, and when you click on one you get all the info, directions options, and reviews. I LOVED this feature in iOS, and it is much missed :(

I am right there with you on much of this. Along with the keyboard recommended spellchecks and cursor placement. I actually much prefer the interface and basic OS functions but you are right, much refining is needed. Really wish there were custom keyboards ala Android. Not to mention my disgust over my overly warm yellow pictures. I really really want to like the phone more than I currently do and think after some growing pains I will. But its just frustrating right now.

benxiaolinren

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Try to take the pics by changing the white balance setting. I find that helps to get rid of the yellow hit.
The OS update will fix it for sure.

gb33

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I did find a decent suggestion that seems to help. It has the flash on, ISO of 400 or less, and shutter of 1/30 or faster. I will try in different settings, but it stinks to have to do it every time. Wish setting would save or could set quick profiles.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs