Calling anyone who upgraded from 920 to 1020!

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had both phones, and besides the better battery performance on the 1020, I'd take the 920 every day of the week. Even though the 920 is heavier than the 1020, the 1020 is wider, slipperier, and awkward to handle because of the annoying camera hump. I loved being able to place my 920 on the charging plate at night. For me the camera hump on the 1020 makes the user experience less enjoyable than on the 920.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had both phones, and besides the better battery performance on the 1020, I'd take the 920 every day of the week. Even though the 920 is heavier than the 1020, the 1020 is wider, slipperier, and awkward to handle because of the annoying camera hump. I loved being able to place my 920 on the charging plate at night. For me the camera hump on the 1020 makes the user experience less enjoyable than on the 920.

Yea, I agree with you, the 920 makes a better daily device. It's the kind of phone that is so comfortable to use that you just take it for granted. Every time I hold the 1020, I have to consciously make sure my fingers are wrapped around the wider frame and I'm supporting the camera hump on the back, and then of course, when I get in bed at night, my heart sinks cuz I can't use the wirelss charger sitting right there! But I mean, the 1020 is clearly the more powerful and advanced device, and with Nokia Black update, the camera will be unstoppable.

Anyone know where I can get a wireless charging case for cheap? Or if any of you have one that you decided you don't want to use and want to give me a hook up, that works too!

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
How is battery in 920..?
In 1020 it drains fast...

the battery is exactly the same , the hardware the same bar ram and screen and camera , battery life will be about the same , if your 1020 battery is draining mega quick it could be a stuck process , I install a battery monitor to alert me when drain is higher then 10% an hour , if I am not using the device and get alerted I reboot and all is good again I can only presume its a stuck process stopping the phone from idling

I personally find the 1020 much nicer to hold and use then the 920 and the camera on the 1020 ...... wowsa ;-) it makes it a much more versatile device , for example try taking this on a 920 ;-)

935986_10202372973434124_842096849_n.jpg

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Definitely like 1020 better. Its lighter, thinner.
Didn't even notice that wireless charging was missing.
Can't really tell that the camera is so much better, quantity (41mp) does not always mean quality. I'm super annoyed by yellow tint on the pictures.
I got 1020 as a replacement under warranty after 6 faulty 920s.
Went to a store several times to play with 1520 and 2520. 1520 is a beautiful device, wish it was tiny bit smaller. Wasn't sure what to make of 2520, my first impression, OS was kinda annoying - to much manipulation (swiping, dragging, tapping etc) to get smth done.

Six faulty devices? I'm sorry, but that is just a bit unbelievable. If so you had to be doing something to cause it.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I also went through six 920 devices for hardware and OS issues. The only thing I did to cause it was buy the device. Several people can testify to the lack of quality control on the 920 devices. Even today the 1020 is still producing green pictures, which is unacceptable for some people.

TheIsaacG

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I also went through six 920 devices for hardware and OS issues. The only thing I did to cause it was buy the device. Several people can testify to the lack of quality control on the 920 devices. Even today the 1020 is still producing green pictures, which is unacceptable for some people.
I've had one 920, and have had it since February of this year and its worked fine for me. Guess I'm just lucky.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I agree with you, the 920 makes a better daily device. It's the kind of phone that is so comfortable to use that you just take it for granted. Every time I hold the 1020, I have to consciously make sure my fingers are wrapped around the wider frame and I'm supporting the camera hump on the back, and then of course, when I get in bed at night, my heart sinks cuz I can't use the wirelss charger sitting right there! But I mean, the 1020 is clearly the more powerful and advanced device, and with Nokia Black update, the camera will be unstoppable.

Anyone know where I can get a wireless charging case for cheap? Or if any of you have one that you decided you don't want to use and want to give me a hook up, that works too!

Cheapest one so far is for $29.99 at the following site:
Nokia CC-3066 hard cover is slim fitting back cover which replaces your existing cover and easily snaps to protect the rear of your Nokia Lumia 1020 from dirt, scratches and minor impact damage. It is also a dedicated wireless charging cover for Lumi

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I went from the 920 to 1020 and the difference with wireless charging hasn't bothered me at all but that is probably because I never used it on the 920.

I got the free accessory pack with the 1020 so I have set up the wireless charging plate next to the bed which is ideal to keep it charging through the night. I occasionally take the charging shell out with my in the car so I can charge whilst using Drive on the CR-200.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
i went through loads of 920s as well it was like a lottery getting a good one for myself , light bleed , dodgy vibrating , creaking polycarbonate housing , full out blue screen brick like old windows blue screen of death , wonky silver camera surround , dust under ffc :-/

i literally had two 920s in my hands and each one was built so different it was unreal :-/

i have been lucky with my 1020 though , nokia seem to have variable build quality which aint on for ?500 devices , the one i buy should be the same as my friends he buys , that's just the way i see it personally

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
the battery is exactly the same , the hardware the same bar ram and screen and camera , battery life will be about the same , if your 1020 battery is draining mega quick it could be a stuck process , I install a battery monitor to alert me when drain is higher then 10% an hour , if I am not using the device and get alerted I reboot and all is good again I can only presume its a stuck process stopping the phone from idling

I personally find the 1020 much nicer to hold and use then the 920 and the camera on the 1020 ...... wowsa ;-) it makes it a much more versatile device , for example try taking this on a 920 ;-)

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/935986_10202372973434124_842096849_n.jpg

Quit hating on my 920. And by the way, beautiful shot with the 1020.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I had 4 920s, and each one would get dust in the ffc within a month. If you're willing to live with it, I didn't have any other issues, I still love the 920. But eventually ATT just gave me a 1020. And so far no problems! *cross my fingers*

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Some people prefer the 920 to the 1020 and as you can see above, for a few different reasons. In answer to your question the 1020 is lighter than the 920 even with the backing plate (got mine free with the pre order special offer, look around it may be offered as a free option now by some carriers) In all honesty though the insides of the 1020 and 920 are slow compared to whats coming early next year, wait 2 months if you can, im sure the insides of the 1520 will make an appearance in a smaller, lighter and thinner form factor with wireless charging as an option.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love Nokia and the 1020 in particular, I have to admit that to hold this thing comfortably a case is really almost mandatory. To me, without the case, the thin profile with the unbalanced weight and the smooth texture (albeit with a matte finish) make the phone feel as if it is trying to be dropped. I use an all leather TETDED case that is suede inside (protecting the back) and gives just enough bulk while adding texture to completely rectify this sensation, and make the phone feel very solid in hand..

Here are two examples:

tetded-premium-leather-case-for-nokia-lumia-1020-caen-lc-black.jpg
tetded-premium-leather-case-for-nokia-lumia-1020-caen-lc-red.jpg

TETDED Premium Leather Case for Nokia Lumia 1020 -- Caen (LC: Red) - TETDED LIMITED

I have the red which looks great with my yellow 1020, but they have other colors as well.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love Nokia and the 1020 in particular, I have to admit that to hold this thing comfortably a case is really almost mandatory. To me, without the case, the thin profile with the unbalanced weight and the smooth texture (albeit with a matte finish) make the phone feel as if it is trying to be dropped. I use an all leather TETDED case that is suede inside (protecting the back) and gives just enough bulk while adding texture to completely rectify this sensation, and make the phone feel very solid in hand..

Here are two examples:

http://d1s8drc8jnd6vz.cloudfront.ne...r-case-for-nokia-lumia-1020-caen-lc-black.jpg http://d1s8drc8jnd6vz.cloudfront.ne...her-case-for-nokia-lumia-1020-caen-lc-red.jpg

TETDED Premium Leather Case for Nokia Lumia 1020 -- Caen (LC: Red) - TETDED LIMITED

I have the red which looks great with my yellow 1020, but they have other colors as well.

That's a great looking case! If only more companies would put wireless charging in their cases? Does Nokia own some sort of patent on using qi in a wireless charging case? I mean, the 1520 now has a wireless charging solution from Incipio. It would be great to see what all the smartphone case manufacturers could conjure up with wireless charging

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Reviving an old thread....didn't want to start a new one...

I recently bought a new Black Lumia 1020 for a dirt cheap price (don't ask how) and got a friend to unlock it from AT&T (I use T-Mobile), still waiting for the unlock code to go through though. I currently use a Rogers unlocked pentaband black Lumia 920 as my daily driver. Due to the pentaband frequencies I don't have any issues on getting HSPA+ or LTE on T-Mobile. Now after the unlock for my 1020 goes through...I was thinking of switching to it as my daily driver. But I am not sure why I am putting in so much thought to switch...not because I don't like the 1020 but because I love my 920. I know the switch (I won't call it an upgrade) would probably give me some perks in the Camera department but I would be losing on the Wireless charging (which I extensively use on my 920) and the great battery life out of it. Also I would be compromising on the network speeds in some places (I live in Columbus, OH and the T-Mobile network has been refarmed to 1900 for LTE and HSPA+), but I can live with it. Also the camera hump would need some getting used to since I am used to my smooth but heavy 920, it kinda makes it feel sturdy and well built...umm more like a Nokia :)

Now before some of you start suggesting that I should give the 1020 a try before judging before hand, I would like to ask for opinions from some of you guys who have been in this situation. Camera is not my main focus here (although its better to have the best quality phone camera handy) since I own a DSLR which helps me experiment with photography...and I can not complain about my 920's camera quality either which has been the best I have seen so far on any phones I have owned (including my 925, not the 1020 yet). I have also read through some recent 1020 threads that suggest that the 920 performs better in low light conditions due to the lower aperture, but real-life usage-wise the 920 camera does not lag that far from the 1020 (overall). Personally I also took some quick snaps on manual focus on both the 920 and 1020 and found the 920's color reproduction to be better than the 1020.

I don't know, the more I think and read about it, the more I get confused :confused:. If some of you guys who have been in this situation, getting to know your experience would really help me :smile:...thanks!

Craig Montgomery

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
If you like the wireless charging and don't care so much about the camera, the 1020 doesn't really gain you anything over the 920.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo