The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-05-2014 08:30 AM
43 12
tools
    ^This +1

".... For high quality photos, you have to have a high quality display." not really, think DSLR.

but i totally agree that the screen and the color profile has something to do with it.
    TheCrazySwede likes this.
    01-20-2014 12:08 AM
    Even photos taken with a DSLR suffer when viewed on the 1020's display vs. a 1080 or even a 4K display, so I don't really see your point. The display of the phone brings down its level of potential quality. Look at a DSLR photo on the 1020, and then look at the same photo on a Retina Display or even an S4's screen and you'll see the difference. I'm not referring to the quality of the photo, but how it looks on different displays. It would be nice to have a high quality display on the phone to show off what it can so. DSLR's shoot such rich photos that they look good even on crappy displays, but you really see the potential of the photo when viewed on a better display.
    01-20-2014 12:10 PM
    Most cameras will have issues focusing in low-light - have you made sure the focus assist light is on? The other way is to use manual focus, which can give mixed results if you're taking a portrait.
    I can't have AF light on because it will irritates my friends. But given Nokia camera with such a good reputation with Pureview, is just not right that it cannot even focus well. Furthermore, the place is not really that dark
    01-21-2014 04:18 AM
    ^This +1

The whole WB issue with the 1020's JPEG processing keeps popping up on these forums over and over again, and yet, nobody reads sensible posts like the one above explaining why. I have, too, explained this exact thing again, and again, but nobody seems to want to care. Perhaps people don't want a solution; they just want to complain. The real culprit of the "blurry and saturated" photos is the phone's display. Even with the coolest colour profile, it still looks horrible. View the same image on a better display (If you have access to a Galaxy S4, try sending that phone a picture and see how different it looks) and you'll notice a huge difference. I've seen some amazing results from the 1020 displayed on a 2014 Macbook Pro (with Retina Display,) meanwhile those same pictures look less clear on my other laptop with 1366x786 resolution, and even worse on the phone itself. My biggest disappointment, by far, with the 1020 is the display. For high quality photos, you have to have a high quality display.

For those of you who completely ignore the above, here are some simple solutions:
    1. Use Nokia's Auto-Fix feature (Helps in most cases)
    2. Use Creative Studio
    3. Shoot in RAW
    Another +1... People should really read this AND Jojoe42's post. I have the 1020 myself and agree - the screen's colour accuracy is terrible. If only Nokia would have used the LCD from the 920...
    01-21-2014 04:41 AM
    I can't have AF light on because it will irritates my friends. But given Nokia camera with such a good reputation with Pureview, is just not right that it cannot even focus well. Furthermore, the place is not really that dark
    The 1020's focusing is generally accurate, just that it may have difficulties locking focus in lowlight. And this is quite a common problem even for high end compact cameras. My suggestion is to use manual focus at infinity for anything that is more than 2 meters away. It works pretty well and the shot is pretty much instantaneous.
    jojoe42 likes this.
    01-21-2014 06:01 AM
    Another +1... People should really read this AND Jojoe42's post. I have the 1020 myself and agree - the screen's colour accuracy is terrible. If only Nokia would have used the LCD from the 920...
    Thanks for the information and it makes a lot of sense!!!! Now also, when people are saying that they see a lot of yellowish on the photos when viewing from their Lumia 1020, try this!

Depending on your Lumia Color Profile options (mine was set as default: temperature & saturation in the neutral position) take a picture that you would probably see a little bit of yellowish to the final pic, then go back to that Lumia Color Profile option in the settings-display and switch both options (temperature & saturation) to the coolest and natural and then go back to your pic, you will see a big difference!!!

I've written this because when I take a picture, most of the time, I just keep it on my phone and show it to people via my phone..so sometimes the person will say to me wow...it's kind of yellowish....not anymore with this tip.
    01-21-2014 07:32 AM
    If you want to see the work of the algorithms, go to complete dark room, increase exposure to max, and shutter speed to 4 sec.
    You are most probably going to get a very noisy black image. Then see what happens. Try it. You will appreciate the smoothening hehe
    01-21-2014 02:02 PM
    I AM SORRY, but I really do not understand most of this post.

1st of all: .DNG files are the RAW data from the sensor. RAW files cannot be viewed at all. They are interpreted by the viewer software into RGB files so they can be seen on a screen. DNG's must be processed (converted) by a software program prior to saving them to .jpg's, or whatever.

2) The .DNG's contain more bits/pixel information and more pixels to boot, thus they are of higher resolution and larger file size both before and after conversion to viewable formats.

3) The biggest advantage, other than 2 above, in post processing the .DNG's is you do not have .jpg compression artifacts to remove. In other words all photos that are saved as .jpg's will have .jpg compression artifacts to deal with unless the compression is set to its lowest setting, or maximum file size.
    Unfortunately all smart phones and most p&s cameras preset the compression ratio for us, thus you have no control over that setting. If it is set to give you the smallest file sizes, you will get the most artifacts.
    This is not noise, but some call it noise.
    RAW, .DNG's are not compressed thus the file size is very large and they, obviously contain no artifacts.
    But, if you, after post processing them, save them as highly compressed .jpg's they too will contain .jpg artifacts.
    This has nothing to do with the camera. .

4) All RAW images from ALL cameras contain noise. Yes, even the $4,000.00 ones. They all need to be post processed to remove or reduce the noise.
    BTW the images from the 1020 clean up very nicely with a decent noise removal plugin for your post processing software, I like NIK's Define2, or TOPAZ. Corel's PSPx5, Photoshop's suite(s) all have built in Noise reduction selections.

5) the question I have, is How did anyone get the photo of the picture prior to it being saved in the camera????? impossible.

Yes, if you mean the interpreted 34mp .DNG image versus the down-sampled 5mp .jpg I can understand some difference, but not a heck of a lot unless you are blowing it up 2, 3 or more times,
    There of course there will be a difference due to the stuff I detailed above. Artifacts, resolution, noise all of it will result in somewhat less than ideal. Of course, the .jpg's, can be post processed to remove most annoyances and improve sharpness, exposure, detail and so on.

And finally
    Remember photography is all about light, color, and composition. or as Ansel Adams stated "Taking great photographs is knowing where to stand." And someone stated. "The best camera to have is the one with you!"
    TruPlaya187 likes this.
    01-21-2014 02:27 PM
    The same kind of issues are found on 920 and 928. Ever since the Amber update photos have a lack of sharpness, strange color tints and a serious problem with excessive blur.
    AndrewL920 likes this.
    01-24-2014 01:09 AM
    i dont think this was fixed in the Black update. Like what was mentioned by chobits, After u press the shutter button, the pic looks awesome while it's saving
    But then it looks bad after it's saved...

however, thanks to nokia creative studio, its not that bad after all.
    With the answers... with the S, everywhere on the same thread, here we got another one who didn't want to 'know why'.

"Perhaps people don't want a solution; they just want to complain." - TheCrazySwede
    Last edited by Live2Deliver; 01-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    TheCrazySwede and jojoe42 like this.
    01-24-2014 09:22 AM
    People should seriously read the answers in this forum PROPERLY.....the photos on any camera can only be as good as the person taking it...and if you disagree with that you can go back to taking blurry, noisy images on your iPhones that look terrible after reframing

"You don't appreciate something until it's gone"
    01-25-2014 02:48 AM
    Yes stupid Amoled is wrong screen for serious devices like 1020.I had 920 and the diference is so so visible.Amoled colors is good for kids,but is not for serious users.
    AndrewL920 likes this.
    01-25-2014 05:26 AM
    Yes stupid Amoled is wrong screen for serious devices like 1020.I had 920 and the diference is so so visible.Amoled colors is good for kids,but is not for serious users.
    that's why when I've changed the Lumia profile, it changed a lot and now I appreciate it more and the photos on the screen is a lot better.
    01-25-2014 08:04 AM
    If we can just turn off the "built-in jpeg processing" that would be the most innovative update Nokia will released.
    01-25-2014 11:56 AM
    If we can just turn off the "built-in jpeg processing" that would be the most innovative update Nokia will released.
    Where have you been? Welcome back to earth anyway, we already have it. Its called RAW, or DNG.
    TheCrazySwede and jojoe42 like this.
    01-25-2014 01:17 PM
    Where have you been? Welcome back to earth anyway, we already have it. Its called RAW, or DNG.
    Sorry wrong forum.. I thought this is 920's camera. lol
    02-01-2014 04:41 PM
    that's why when I've changed the Lumia profile, it changed a lot and now I appreciate it more and the photos on the screen is a lot better.
    It helps but it doesn't fully solve the problem of inaccurate colours. Saturation is still over the top even on the lowest setting. The exaggerated yellowishness/greenness shown instead of whites in pictures is what kills me most. It would be cool if someone did a frankenstein 1020 - replace the screen with the lcd from 920. Despite that I still enjoy this phone.
    AndrewL920 and jojoe42 like this.
    02-02-2014 10:43 AM
    Maybe when MS wakes up and notices that there is this issue a fix will probably come. Until then I do not expect anything from Nokia as they seem to not admit there is a serious problem with the processing algorithms. I have a Lumia 920 and I will not update to 1020 with these issues. What for? to have a 41mpx camera that cannot produce the quality everyone at Nokia is talking about? Before Amber photos were so sharp and had a great quality on 920. Now, even after Black update the camera issue is still present, and what is most strange is that you are saying that it exists even on the 1020. Very disappointing. I am using camera360 because it does not suffer from the Nokia bug, but the downfall is that it takes only 5mpx photos, I do not know why, the devs were maybe drunk.
    03-05-2014 08:30 AM
43 12