The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-19-2014 02:55 PM
91 1234
tools
    Hi folks,

I just wanted to share some pictures from my Lumia 1020 post Black update!

Yes, the yellow tint has gone completely in artificial light scenes. The results look really promising. I am not really sure about any big improvement in noise levels as I might have a placebo effect. :)

The pictures do look clear with great white balance.

First: Original scene screenshot
    Second: without flash (no yellow tint)
    Third: with flash (no yellow tint again)

Attachment 52366Attachment 52367Attachment 52368

Hope that answers many worries!! :-)
    In the upper two bottom pictures, "white" is blueish in the one without the flash
    and the one with the flash is warmer so WB /WHITE is not correct in either
    but it does look better post Black.

I don't know if the ceiling has blue like the second picture
    or it is crme like the bottom picture but the white on this page is white those aren't white and again it is better but white ?

Just curiuos what color is the ceiling ?
    Dan Strong1 likes this.
    12-20-2013 03:52 PM
    In the upper two bottom pictures, "white" is blueish in the one without the flash
    and the one with the flash is warmer so WB /WHITE is not correct in either
    but it does look better post Black.

I don't know if the ceiling has blue like the second picture
    or it is crme like the bottom picture but the white on this page is white those aren't white and again it is better but white ?

Just curiuos what color is the ceiling ?
    I would say, the ceiling is blue like third picture and the wall is white like second picture although remember that there is artificial lighting which makes the white wall look like the third picture.

So yes, without flash you will get cooler tones but with flash, they have nailed it!!
    12-20-2013 04:59 PM
    I would say, the ceiling is blue like third picture and the wall is white like second picture although remember that there is artificial lighting which makes the white wall look like the third picture.

So yes, without flash you will get cooler tones but with flash, they have nailed it!!
    Thanks. The picture where everything has a blue hue to it, did you SET WB or leave it on AUTO, the reason I ask is I think NOKIA could make a better WB whether set to auto or manually setting it. I really wish the camera would have a "white card" WB setting or more often known as Manual, Custom or Preset, (icon with dot and two triangles on ether side)
    Still with BLACK white looks better.
    12-20-2013 06:02 PM
    I need an original landscape shot in daylight in 5Mpix pureview mode and I will tell you right away if there is an improvement or not..
    12-20-2013 07:00 PM
    Yes, us sim free users get left in the murky water when it comes to updates these days and the carrier locked users are the "privileged few" ... lol, also Nokia don't seem to have a link up for Black yet so I guess it is still early to state or confirm the timescale. Regardless Nokia did explicitly state it will start rolling out January anyway but having said that, Nokia I wouldn't mind an early Christmas present :) as these photos look pretty good though some are abit off so need a little tweaking :D.

Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia
    12-20-2013 07:02 PM
    I need an original landscape shot in daylight in 5Mpix pureview mode and I will tell you right away if there is an improvement or not..
    I can do that tomorrow morning. Although it's going to be cloudy here. Do you want any specific ISO or Auto mode.

Ps. I just took some pictures in restaurants today with flash and let me tell you- The white balance was fantastic. I won't be able to upload them as there are people in it. I love xenon so much more now :-)

Here is a comparison shot I took without flashimageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1387598168.959739.jpgimageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1387598181.634112.jpg
    Guess which was taken by iPhone5 and 1020 Black? ;)
    12-20-2013 09:57 PM
    I can do that tomorrow morning. Although it's going to be cloudy here. Do you want any specific ISO or Auto mode.
    100iso if possible :) everything else.. it doesn't matter all that much, I will just look at the pixels anyway..

There should be a pretty obvious improvement overall.. I am glad that the yellow tint is gone
    12-20-2013 10:32 PM
    How's the battery life post black update?
    12-21-2013 12:08 AM
    How's the battery life post black update?
    It's about the same here. It seems to have fixed issues with live tiles not updating (for now), but battery life is about the same, if not slightly better (for me).
    12-21-2013 01:55 AM
    100iso if possible :) everything else.. it doesn't matter all that much, I will just look at the pixels anyway..

There should be a pretty obvious improvement overall.. I am glad that the yellow tint is gone
    there you go vlad0 mate steve from aas/aawp doing what he does best ;-)

Exploring the imaging improvements in Nokia Black for the Lumia 1020
    12-21-2013 02:35 AM
    there you go vlad0 mate steve from aas/aawp doing what he does best ;-)

Exploring the imaging improvements in Nokia Black for the Lumia 1020
    Yup, much better.. bravo :) I

I would still argue that they are not as clean as the 808 but at this point the difference really is insignificant. Great work by the camera team.
    12-21-2013 03:16 AM
    Guys I just spoke to nokia guy's in india. They said nokia black should be available in 2 to 3 daya...hope its comes before Christmas. Excited to have gdr 3 and nokia black on lumia 1020. Just saw lumia 1520 and its huge..I put it beside my note 2..
    If you cannot wait, opt for developer preview its similar to black.
    12-21-2013 04:07 AM
    It's Update 3 without firmware improvements.
    12-21-2013 04:46 AM
    What about the real time store update notifications?
    12-21-2013 05:13 AM
    GDR3 is not a firmware update. :(
    It's the changes that Black brings that are really the game changer.
    12-21-2013 12:22 PM
    GDR3 is not a firmware update. :(
    It's the changes that Black brings that are really the game changer.
    GDR3 is a MS/OS firmware update isn't it, if not what is it ? I'm confused then. ;-) maybe OS updates aren't "firmware" updates,
    I'm not so tech savvy.
    You get:

•1080p Screen Support (1920*1280 resolution)
    •Snapdragon 800 Support
    •Quad Core CPU Support
    •Bluetooth 4.0 ( not sure about this)
    •Driving Mode*
    •Multitasking There an "X" to Close Apps
    •Screen Rotation Lock
    •Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders
    •First time set up of the phone or Factory Reset you can sign into WIFI
    •Support for new Qualcomm chipsets
    •Advance setting in Bluetooth (*driving mode)
    And most recent update to that update, battery use is much better managed, it went for 1 day 20 hrs at 100% charge to 2 days 20 hrs at 100% charge.
    Last edited by Mr Lebowski; 12-21-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    niel27 likes this.
    12-21-2013 01:51 PM

38 mp original and 5mp oversampled crop. Both with 100 ISO and everything else Auto.
    Here is a resized attachment.
    imageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1387658319.571599.jpg

Linky: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...5BC530C%214583
    MAERSK likes this.
    12-21-2013 02:39 PM
    it looks a lot better to me too, uk 64gb 1020 here and I cant wait for the update ;-)
    12-21-2013 02:45 PM
    Under the Photo Settings (Nokia Camera), enable the Photo Review option to see the new post-processing algorithm in action. Personally, there's still a bias towards a warm and saturated WB, but better than what it used to be.

Here's a light and simple comparison photo:

Screen-Shot

JPEG

RAW
    Del Rei likes this.
    12-21-2013 07:18 PM
    GDR3 is a MS/OS firmware update isn't it, if not what is it ? I'm confused then. ;-) maybe OS updates aren't "firmware" updates,
    I'm not so tech savvy.
    You get:

1080p Screen Support (1920*1280 resolution)
    Snapdragon 800 Support
    Quad Core CPU Support
    Bluetooth 4.0 ( not sure about this)
    Driving Mode*
    Multitasking There an "X" to Close Apps
    Screen Rotation Lock
    Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders
    First time set up of the phone or Factory Reset you can sign into WIFI
    Support for new Qualcomm chipsets
    Advance setting in Bluetooth (*driving mode)
    And most recent update to that update, battery use is much better managed, it went for 1 day 20 hrs at 100% charge to 2 days 20 hrs at 100% charge.
    GD3 is a software update for WP. Black is a firmware update from Nokia. Firmware contains software packages that regulate and control our hardware such as screen sensitivity, camera, jpeg processing etc.
    Mr Lebowski likes this.
    12-21-2013 07:38 PM
    I'm not so tech savvy.
    You get:

•1080p Screen Support (1920*1280 resolution)
    •Snapdragon 800 Support
    •Quad Core CPU Support
    •Bluetooth 4.0 ( not sure about this)
    •Driving Mode*
    •Multitasking There an "X" to Close Apps
    •Screen Rotation Lock
    •Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders
    •First time set up of the phone or Factory Reset you can sign into WIFI
    •Support for new Qualcomm chipsets
    •Advance setting in Bluetooth (*driving mode)
    GDDR3 Updates the Operating System (Windows Phone OS)
    This means that these updates are not limited to Nokia devices, but all devices running WP OS.

The Black Update is a Firmware update, which means it updates specific components and are released by the device's manufacturer, in this case it's Nokia.
    Mr Lebowski likes this.
    12-21-2013 07:46 PM
    Under the Photo Settings (Nokia Camera), enable the Photo Review option to see the new post-processing algorithm in action. Personally, there's still a bias towards a warm and saturated WB, but better than what it used to be.
    Here's a light and simple comparison photo:
    That's what I would ask someone: To post some print screens while saving and after saving.
    Just showing pictures without comparing is useless.

To be honest, the JPEG looks terrible.
    The RAW looks a little better, but comparing to the photo before saving, it is not good.

Did you upgrade to Black...??
    12-21-2013 09:03 PM
    That's what I would ask someone: To post some print screens while saving and after saving.
    Just showing pictures without comparing is useless.

To be honest, the JPEG looks terrible.
    The RAW looks a little better, but comparing to the photo before saving, it is not good.

Did you upgrade to Black...??
    I'll post some more comparison showing different WB and lighting conditions.
    That RAW photo is un-edited, and I'm certain I can make a photo that knocks both the screenshot and the JPEG out the park. Un-Edited RAW photo's aren't very impressive to begin with, given that I had to convert the RAW photo into JPEG without processing the image beforehand. I'll post an edited version of the Rockstar bottle to show the difference.

EDIT: Added Comparison Photos

Last edited by TheCrazySwede; 12-21-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    12-21-2013 09:29 PM
    Does anyone notice the difference in OIS after the black update?
    is it just me or the OIS has changed? Now it only stabilize in small movement of the handset but with faster reaction while before the update, the OIS worked in much wider movement and much smoother but slower reaction.
    It is better for eliminating movement in photo mode but in video mode, my 1020 just cannot handle hard shakes anymore.
    12-22-2013 05:49 AM
    Did anyone noticed the improvement in Call quality?
    Specifically increase in earpiece volume during call?

before GDR3 it was terrible. I wish it should be fix with Lumia Black
    12-22-2013 05:51 AM
91 1234