Lumia 1020 post Black update

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 is not a firmware update. :(
It's the changes that Black brings that are really the game changer.

GDR3 is a MS/OS firmware update isn't it, if not what is it ? I'm confused then. ;-) maybe OS updates aren't "firmware" updates,
I'm not so tech savvy.
You get:

•1080p Screen Support (1920*1280 resolution)
•Snapdragon 800 Support
•Quad Core CPU Support
•Bluetooth 4.0 ( not sure about this)
•Driving Mode*
•Multitasking There an "X" to Close Apps
•Screen Rotation Lock
•Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders
•First time set up of the phone or Factory Reset you can sign into WIFI
•Support for new Qualcomm chipsets
•Advance setting in Bluetooth (*driving mode)
And most recent update to that update, battery use is much better managed, it went for 1 day 20 hrs at 100% charge to 2 days 20 hrs at 100% charge.

Last edited:

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Under the Photo Settings (Nokia Camera), enable the Photo Review option to see the new post-processing algorithm in action. Personally, there's still a bias towards a warm and saturated WB, but better than what it used to be.

Here's a light and simple comparison photo:

Screen-Shot
TxRLbR1.png

JPEG
FGjogQd.jpg

RAW
uxSczb4.jpg

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 is a MS/OS firmware update isn't it, if not what is it ? I'm confused then. ;-) maybe OS updates aren't "firmware" updates,
I'm not so tech savvy.
You get:

?1080p Screen Support (1920*1280 resolution)
?Snapdragon 800 Support
?Quad Core CPU Support
?Bluetooth 4.0 ( not sure about this)
?Driving Mode*
?Multitasking There an "X" to Close Apps
?Screen Rotation Lock
?Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders
?First time set up of the phone or Factory Reset you can sign into WIFI
?Support for new Qualcomm chipsets
?Advance setting in Bluetooth (*driving mode)
And most recent update to that update, battery use is much better managed, it went for 1 day 20 hrs at 100% charge to 2 days 20 hrs at 100% charge.

GD3 is a software update for WP. Black is a firmware update from Nokia. Firmware contains software packages that regulate and control our hardware such as screen sensitivity, camera, jpeg processing etc.

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not so tech savvy.
You get:

•1080p Screen Support (1920*1280 resolution)
•Snapdragon 800 Support
•Quad Core CPU Support
•Bluetooth 4.0 ( not sure about this)
•Driving Mode*
•Multitasking There an "X" to Close Apps
•Screen Rotation Lock
•Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders
•First time set up of the phone or Factory Reset you can sign into WIFI
•Support for new Qualcomm chipsets
•Advance setting in Bluetooth (*driving mode)

GDDR3 Updates the Operating System (Windows Phone OS)
This means that these updates are not limited to Nokia devices, but all devices running WP OS.

The Black Update is a Firmware update, which means it updates specific components and are released by the device's manufacturer, in this case it's Nokia.

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Under the Photo Settings (Nokia Camera), enable the Photo Review option to see the new post-processing algorithm in action. Personally, there's still a bias towards a warm and saturated WB, but better than what it used to be.
Here's a light and simple comparison photo:

That's what I would ask someone: To post some print screens while saving and after saving.
Just showing pictures without comparing is useless.

To be honest, the JPEG looks terrible.
The RAW looks a little better, but comparing to the photo before saving, it is not good.

Did you upgrade to Black...??

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
That's what I would ask someone: To post some print screens while saving and after saving.
Just showing pictures without comparing is useless.

To be honest, the JPEG looks terrible.
The RAW looks a little better, but comparing to the photo before saving, it is not good.

Did you upgrade to Black...??

I'll post some more comparison showing different WB and lighting conditions.
That RAW photo is un-edited, and I'm certain I can make a photo that knocks both the screenshot and the JPEG out the park. Un-Edited RAW photo's aren't very impressive to begin with, given that I had to convert the RAW photo into JPEG without processing the image beforehand. I'll post an edited version of the Rockstar bottle to show the difference.

EDIT: Added Comparison Photos

TxRLbR1l.png

x8JXDPPl.jpg

Last edited:

frank ha

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone notice the difference in OIS after the black update?
is it just me or the OIS has changed? Now it only stabilize in small movement of the handset but with faster reaction while before the update, the OIS worked in much wider movement and much smoother but slower reaction.
It is better for eliminating movement in photo mode but in video mode, my 1020 just cannot handle hard shakes anymore.

Fahad Aziz Khan

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone noticed the improvement in Call quality?
Specifically increase in earpiece volume during call?

before GDR3 it was terrible. I wish it should be fix with Lumia Black

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Is the battery life better with post Black? Read that it is worse than Amber in some other threads. Hope to get more feedback.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 is not interested in connecting with my home wifi anymore, the password is correct, it used to connect before with the same hiccups, its pretty frustrating now.

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
No problems with Wifi and battery whatsoever.
I will test the battery tonight and let you guys know. With Amber, I had 0% battery drain overnight with weather, Whatsapp and Viber ON.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
GD3 is a software update for WP. Black is a firmware update from Nokia. Firmware contains software packages that regulate and control our hardware such as screen sensitivity, camera, jpeg processing etc.

So what regulates the battery and is that hardware ? last update for GDR3 changed battery management. Not being argumentative just wondering :smile:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Is the battery life better with post Black? Read that it is worse than Amber in some other threads. Hope to get more feedback.

Mine is a little worse for wear now. Still gets me through the day, but I have to charge every night now, like all of the iPhone and Android peasants of the world....

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I had 1% battery drain overnight compared to 0% with Amber. Not a big difference.

I have a question: Does anyone know of a good Bluetooth 4.0 le earphones or audio receiver?

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
How do you enable the DNG? I only see JPEG 5MP + 38 MP, no sight of DNG.

Given that you have a compatible AT&T device and the new Nokia Black Firmware installed, open up the Nokia Camera and navigate towards the photo settings. There should be an option for 5MP only, 5MP + 38MP and 5MP + DNG.

TS520x0~cms_posts%2F4176031598%2FDNGscreen_632.jpg

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
You thought when the phone restore it would download the latest version, apparently not.

I have been reading your posts and there is something fishy about all of them.

Firstly, how can you claim to have bad battery life for Black update when you can't even see DNG option in your phone?

Secondly, if you restore the phone to factory settings, the firmware remains the same. Lumia black update can not be erased with a hard reset/restore.

Do you really have Lumia Black installed?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss