Lumia 1020 post Black update

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have been reading your posts and there is something fishy about all of them.

Firstly, how can you claim to have bad battery life for Black update when you can't even see DNG option in your phone?

Secondly, if you restore the phone to factory settings, the firmware remains the same. Lumia black update can not be erased with a hard reset/restore.

Do you really have Lumia Black installed?

Perhaps he has misunderstood how firmware updates are applied. Maybe he's under the impression that since its release, all Nokia devices have automatically been updated to Black.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading your posts and there is something fishy about all of them.

Firstly, how can you claim to have bad battery life for Black update when you can't even see DNG option in your phone?

Secondly, if you restore the phone to factory settings, the firmware remains the same. Lumia black update can not be erased with a hard reset/restore.

Do you really have Lumia Black installed?

This is the Twitter conversation I had with the Nokia Care. https://twitter.com/KengLChang/status/415518576720629761

The battery drain appeared right after I applied Black update, I was trying to resolve that issue before everything else. Draining 3-4% of battery every 30 minutes renders the phone useless.

After I reset my phone, the apps were restored (re-downloaded) to the phone. Apparently the Nokia Cam it downloaded wasn't the latest version, so DNG was not an option.

Dude, you need to chill. I started using HTC HD7 before Mango update -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1020. I am fully aware what I am doing.

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
This is the Twitter conversation I had with the Nokia Care. https://twitter.com/KengLChang/status/415518576720629761

The battery drain appeared right after I applied Black update, I was trying to resolve that issue before everything else. Draining 3-4% of battery every 30 minutes renders the phone useless.

After I reset my phone, the apps were restored (re-downloaded) to the phone. Apparently the Nokia Cam it downloaded wasn't the latest version, so DNG was not an option.

Dude, you need to chill. I started using HTC HD7 before Mango update -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1020. I am fully aware what I am doing.

Glad to know that. I did not mean to offend you.

Btw, how do you download all the apps again. Does the backup store app details? If it does then I just learned a new thing today, thanks to you! :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Btw, how do you download all the apps again. Does the backup store app details? If it does then I just learned a new thing today, thanks to you! :)

You can find all previously purchased and downloaded apps at WindowPhone.com. Just log in and navigate to the appropriate section of the website. It will not restore app data (I.E: how you had it configured, game progress, etc), but still, at least you can find your stuff again.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So, it appears that Black did make the battery consumption for the phone worse? If so, I will just put it on hold until MS / Nokia release another fix regarding the battery issue.

Tinderbox_UK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Should we not have a sticky for software updates, i am wating for the black update in the UK, at the moment i have no were to check for updates.

John.

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
So, it appears that Black did make the battery consumption for the phone worse? If so, I will just put it on hold until MS / Nokia release another fix regarding the battery issue.

For many of us there was no change. Like others on this forum my 1020 uses zero battery overnight, and will easily go a full day with moderate usage. The black updates to camera are significant, I would suggest doing the upgrade.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
For many of us there was no change. Like others on this forum my 1020 uses zero battery overnight, and will easily go a full day with moderate usage. The black updates to camera are significant, I would suggest doing the upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback. But I'm kind of curious, how do you achieve zero battery consumption over the night? Are you on airplane mode? My 1020 has this issue that, it is still consuming battery even when on airplane mode. And by that, I'm seeing a fully charged 100% dropped to 95% in the morning for about 6-7 hours time. I'm only having Whatsapp with the background tasks. Is this considered as normal or something is wrong somewhere?

Thanks.

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. But I'm kind of curious, how do you achieve zero battery consumption over the night? Are you on airplane mode? My 1020 has this issue that, it is still consuming battery even when on airplane mode. And by that, I'm seeing a fully charged 100% dropped to 95% in the morning for about 6-7 hours time. I'm only having Whatsapp with the background tasks. Is this considered as normal or something is wrong somewhere?

Thanks.

I cannot speak to your experience... But mine is much like my iPhone... I use very little battery at idle. I have push email configured but not much else in the background. Having said that, I'd be thrilled to lose only 5% overnight on my moto x, so I don't think your experience is out of the norm for smart phones overall.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

If you turned on the backup setting then yes all the app you purchased will be re-downloaded when you perform a restore (new handset or reset). You will lose your any in app data such as game save, in-app download such as offline youtube video.

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
If you turned on the backup setting then yes all the app you purchased will be re-downloaded when you perform a restore (new handset or reset). You will lose your any in app data such as game save, in-app download such as offline youtube video.

So, how did it download the old version of the Nokia camera on your phone if it is just storing the app names in backup and no app data?

I am not being argumentative but the backup should have more than app name to download an older version. Is Microsoft hiding something?

yogamukti

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a new lumia 1020 owner, I have had Nokia for about three weeks. I mainly bought it for the wonderful camera, but am also really liking the entire phone. Until today, I have had on problems, all has been going well. The only thing I was a little concerned about, was the battery life, which I don’t find a major issue. Anyway, I have read here on the forum, that resetting the phone to factory set may help the life of the battery, so I gave it a try. The result was that the recent firmware update I downloaded (Nokia Black), is no longer accessible in my phone.

I looked in the Capture mode where it displays jpeg (5 MP) + (dng 38 MP), and it no longer exist there. Now it is only showing jpeg, no DNG format. I then tried to download the Black update again, and the update status shows...”your phone is up to date”. I am lost, I have no idea what to do next. I should have left things as they were, and not fiddled around with experimenting. If anyone can make any suggestions, I would deeply appreciate your help.

Thanks

Last edited:

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a new lumia 1020 owner, I have had Nokia for about three weeks. I mainly bought it for the wonderful camera, but am also really liking the entire phone. Until today, I have had on problems, all has been going well. The only thing I was a little concerned about, was the battery life, which I don’t find a major issue. Anyway, I have read here on the forum, that resetting the phone to factory set may help, so I gave it a try. The result was that the recent firmware update I downloaded (Nokia Black), is no longer accessible in my phone.

I looked in the Capture mode where it displayed jpeg (5 MP) + (dng 38 MP), and it no longer exist there. Now only showing jpeg, no DNG. I then tried to download the Black update again, and the update status shows...”your phone is up to date”. I am lost, I have no idea what to do next. I should have left things as they were, and not fiddled around with experimenting. If anyone can make any suggestions, I would deeply appreciate your help.

Thanks

Try to look to your settings>extras+info and see if it already says you have Black. If yes, try to go to store and update your Nokia Camera.

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a new lumia 1020 owner, I have had Nokia for about three weeks. I mainly bought it for the wonderful camera, but am also really liking the entire phone. Until today, I have had on problems, all has been going well. The only thing I was a little concerned about, was the battery life, which I don?t find a major issue. Anyway, I have read here on the forum, that resetting the phone to factory set may help the life of the battery, so I gave it a try. The result was that the recent firmware update I downloaded (Nokia Black), is no longer accessible in my phone.

I looked in the Capture mode where it displayed jpeg (5 MP) + (dng 38 MP), and it no longer exist there. Now only showing jpeg, no DNG. I then tried to download the Black update again, and the update status shows...?your phone is up to date?. I am lost, I have no idea what to do next. I should have left things as they were, and not fiddled around with experimenting. If anyone can make any suggestions, I would deeply appreciate your help.

Thanks

You might have an old Nokia Camera app. Go to the store and download it again.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So, how did it download the old version of the Nokia camera on your phone if it is just storing the app names in backup and no app data?

I am not being argumentative but the backup should have more than app name to download an older version. Is Microsoft hiding something?

My theory is that since Nokia Camera is pre-installed; therefore, it does not try to download it since it already exist.

yogamukti

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
You might have an old Nokia Camera app. Go to the store and download it again.
Thank you !! Your suggestion was correct. I went to the store and downloaded Nokia Camera, and then checked to see if the DNG format was there, and it was. As you stated, I probably had and older Nokia app. Well, problem solved, so very happy. Thank you again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers