Lumia Black and Battery Drain

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
All u guys who,getting battery drain should format your phone.i did,it and now i get awesome battery life...on,idle its shows 5 days. On,heavy use i get around 20 hours. Medium use 2 days, i have 7 apps active in,background, double tap to wake,glance screen wallpaper and glance screen.

Soft reset or hard reset ? Please specify

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
All I can say that my phone is that the battery when on idle it will drain 1% per hour. EVEN on Battery saver with 3G turned off. With heavy use it burns like crazy. So mostly less than one full day.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
All u guys who,getting battery drain should format your phone.i did,it and now i get awesome battery life...on,idle its shows 5 days. On,heavy use i get around 20 hours. Medium use 2 days, i have 7 apps active in,background, double tap to wake,glance screen wallpaper and glance screen.

What do yyou mean by"format your phone"?

Gilbert Marcoux

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll tell you guys what worked for me. Try it if you want or don't. Before my 1020 I had owned an 800 and two 920's on two separate occasions. Never had battery problems for the short while I had the 800 but my two 920's were terrible. At the time, background tasks were new to WP and, coming from Android, I figured I would preemptively block background apps to save myself some juice. Both times, I could barely get my Lumia 920's to the 5hr mark. Same thing would happen in airplane mode. When I got my 1020 I was concerned and, although it was better, it still was prone to quick drain. After a bit of research I came across someone who suggested two things. 1)If you have gmail, switch to outlook. Gmail has, in my experience, a lot of sync issues. I've noticed this on my WP, Android and even my wife's iPhone. Gmail will often get stuck in a sync loop which absolutely kills the battery. 2) don't block anything from running in the background. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I currently have nothing blocked, LTE on, no battery saver and I'm getting better battery life than I've ever gotten on my Lumias. I've yet to not make it 15hrs with my usage patterns (which I would assume are average). It's like there's something in the OS that although you block the apps from running, they still try to sync or run, get stopped and keep trying (I have no evidence of this, it's just an idea) It's up to you guys to try it but it works for me.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried this, and yes it improved my battery, but only from 8-10 hours to 10-12. I used to get 24-26 hours, now I'm lucky to make it through a day. I need my phone to last 14-16 hours, but it don't last me my day.

Fahad Aziz Khan

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Today(18-Feb-2014) i visited again for very same problem & the representative told me "Why you bought this phone, it has Known battery problem, even my(representative) 1020 is tend to Charge 2 times a day, with 100% charge it can give Max 1hour Video call on SKype over WiFi".
:(......
what else i can say

Lumia 1020
Black updata

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll tell you guys what worked for me. Try it if you want or don't. Before my 1020 I had owned an 800 and two 920's on two separate occasions. Never had battery problems for the short while I had the 800 but my two 920's were terrible. At the time, background tasks were new to WP and, coming from Android, I figured I would preemptively block background apps to save myself some juice. Both times, I could barely get my Lumia 920's to the 5hr mark. Same thing would happen in airplane mode. When I got my 1020 I was concerned and, although it was better, it still was prone to quick drain. After a bit of research I came across someone who suggested two things. 1)If you have gmail, switch to outlook. Gmail has, in my experience, a lot of sync issues. I've noticed this on my WP, Android and even my wife's iPhone. Gmail will often get stuck in a sync loop which absolutely kills the battery. 2) don't block anything from running in the background. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I currently have nothing blocked, LTE on, no battery saver and I'm getting better battery life than I've ever gotten on my Lumias. I've yet to not make it 15hrs with my usage patterns (which I would assume are average). It's like there's something in the OS that although you block the apps from running, they still try to sync or run, get stopped and keep trying (I have no evidence of this, it's just an idea) It's up to you guys to try it but it works for me.

Yeah ! The allowing all background tasks does helps. Quite a bit tho. Now I'm going to format my phone and try again. * fingers crossed *

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I used to get 8-10 hours of battery on my 1020, now I'm getting a day with still 20-30%. I'm a heavy to medium user. What I did to fix it is I deleted my Gmail from my phone, I unblocked all my background tasks, and I charger my phone to full, wait 30 minutes after it's at 100%, then take it off the charger. I don't let it charge over night because it over charges it which makes the battery not last as long. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Julian_C

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
my battery is also very "strange". So ca. 20 minutes ago I was in the settings page and it showed me 41%, then suddenly it dropped to 39% (without showing me 40%). Then I immediately after I shuttet down the phone (normally by press and hold the power button) and switched it back on and I only had 28%(!!!!) left. I have no Google Accounts, 4 Mail accounts with sync every hour, every background task is enabled (I don't have very much (fb, whatsapp, metrotube, here drive+, 6tag, wheater flow, bing health app). And now I have 23%... This all happened in about 20 mins. It's very strange with a 2000mAh battery... But I think there is a battery calibration bug idk... hopefully it get fixed sometime... BTW is your micro usb port a bit loose, does your charging cable has a play or it fits and is fix?

Oke Nuriayana

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
my lumia 520 only last around 10 hours after the black update, but i believe the culprit is the outlook push sync, so i set to sync only once a day, and my battery is back to normal, around 25hours/ charge

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
my battery is also very "strange". So ca. 20 minutes ago I was in the settings page and it showed me 41%, then suddenly it dropped to 39% (without showing me 40%). Then I immediately after I shuttet down the phone (normally by press and hold the power button) and switched it back on and I only had 28%(!!!!) left. I have no Google Accounts, 4 Mail accounts with sync every hour, every background task is enabled (I don't have very much (fb, whatsapp, metrotube, here drive+, 6tag, wheater flow, bing health app). And now I have 23%... This all happened in about 20 mins. It's very strange with a 2000mAh battery... But I think there is a battery calibration bug idk... hopefully it get fixed sometime... BTW is your micro usb port a bit loose, does your charging cable has a play or it fits and is fix?

You say "strange considering a 2000mAh battery". For the size of the phone and thickness, it one of the smallest battery capacities around.

Post after post after post I read the same thing, which is why I returned my Lumia 1020. As I said before on numerous occasions, I researched all these battery saver tips and apply it to my lowly Lumia 520, (sigh, really miss that 41MP camera). But the only way to get decent battery life out of the 1020 is to delete this and this, turn off that, disable this, delete apps and email accounts etc. Not much point in having this sort of phone then disabling, deleting and uninstalling all manner of items. A lucky few people do have better than average batteries in their 1020, but most have less than acceptable.

I don't mind manually syncing my email on my 520 and other battery saving techniques. I do however mind having to do that on a flagship phone, plus get a glance screen with the added bonus of double tap to wake up, and then be told to turn all that off to try and get acceptable battery use.

Which is why I opted to stick to my 520 and wait for the 1020 successor. A shame though cause the rest of that phone was awesome.

Last edited:

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
You say "strange considering a 2000mAh battery". For the size of the phone and thickness, it one of the smallest battery capacities around.

It's not the size and thickness of the phone that's causing the battery drain. It's the resolution. The 625 and 720 has the same batteries but they can last two days of heavy usage (especially the 625).

Anyway, do remember that the 1020 has an AMOLED screen, so pages with mostly white background will drain your battery faster. But your battery will consume less with black backgrounds. So web browsing could really be frustrating. Its AMOLED screen is one of the reasons why I chose the 1520 over it since I know that I'll be browsing the web for long periods of time.

Anyway, GSMArena gives the 1020 a slightly decent score for battery endurance (61h), although it lasted 5 hours and a few minutes only on the web-browsing test.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

mikebodo

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had instances since the update where my 1020 was fully charged and in sleep mode only to find upon waking it up a few hours later it was down to less than 20%. I've since concluded that it is due to a background process or processes (such as checking/syncing e-mail) being stuck, causing the CPU to be active full time. When this occurs I simply do a soft reset (power down and then power back up) and everything is good again upon charging. I wonder if this is effecting other Nokia Windows Phones handsets outside of the 1020?

Julian_C

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you think that the new OS Version of the Developer Preview could affect the battery life negativly? With the Dev Preview you will be able to get V. 8.0.10521.155 but originally the OS Version of the Lumia Black Package is something below (8.0.10512.142 or 8.0.10517.150, i don't remember exactly)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99