Lumia 1020 video (and bluetooth) issues

nightboat

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 1020: I love it, apart from these issues. Two videos I filmed wouldn't upload to SkyDrive. Nothing on the phone indicated why - no error message, nothing; they just didn't appear in SkyDrive. Eventually I realised they were filmed on the default video setting - high resolution - meaning massive files that were well over the SkyDrive 50MB-per-video limit.

Plan B: send them via Bluetooth to my Nokia 2520 tablet. Surely the two would work flawlessly together, no? The devices paired successfully but, despite the two devices being right next to each other and not moving, the connection couldn't be sustained and kept cutting out. And I kept getting a message on the 1020 that it wasn't possible to transfer that kind of content to the 2520 by Bluetooth. (Seriously? I'm sure that can't be so.) Presumably for the same reason, Tap+Send was no use to man or beast.

Plan C: email one of them. The phone compressed the video file and emailed it successfully, but upon opening the email the video was so low-res as to be useless, worse than a photo taken with a cellphone camera ten years ago.

Plan D: transfer with a USB cable. I physically connected the phone to my (Windows 8.1) laptop. Result! Sort of. No Zune, thankfully, just the laptop treating the phone as an external drive. Yes. GOOD. But after I copied the video files over, problems recommenced. I'd get an error message on the Video app but one that didn't give much detail about what the problem was. I tried again and the video would play, but very choppy - essentially unwatchable. Yet they play flawlessly if I view them on the actual device.

Any ideas? It's certainly taken the shine of my initial love of the phone - that and the Bluetooth being hopeless.

nightboat

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've now managed to get the video files onto a Surface and they play fine, so the problem must be with the laptop rather than the phone. So that just leaves the issue of the Bluetooth not working... hopefully something that can be sorted with future updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb