Broken LCD /SCREEN - Lumia 1020

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have broken my screen :( It's not major serious damage but it is still broken.

It's got a single thin green line running down the left side of my phone screen :( Everything else is fully functioning!

Can someone help me out, What are my options and roughly what's the cost in ?'s going to be to get it repaired.

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you dropped it? If not, I would venture it may be a defect. Like you said, it is in the LCD. Have you checked on getting it replaced under warranty?

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it cracked or is it just the green line?

If it isn't cracked, you might be able to get it fixed for free under warranty as a screen defect. This is the suggested solution. but if they say it's because you broke it and won't fix it, you have a couple of other not so optimal solutions:

1) Get them to fix the screen for you in exchange for voiding your warranty, also called a last-in. I got my cracked Lumia 720 screen fixed for free and after that my warranty was void. Depending on where you are, this might not be an option.

2) Buy a replacement part on your own online and replace the screen yourself.

Buy your replacement from here or other websites: Nokia Lumia 1020 LCD Screen Display Digitizer Touch Glass Frame Assembly | eBay

Tutorial on how to take apart your Lumia 1020: Nokia Lumia 1020 Disassembly - YouTube

3) Live with the green line on your screen. It's honestly not that annoying after you get used to it, I could still use my utterly cracked screen, even for watching videos. If you're a careless person like me, you'll want to do this if you can't get it fixed under warranty, because you might damage the screen again after fixing it, so it's best to save repairs for until the damage is totally unbearable.

Good luck!

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
It is not cracked ;) Just has a thin green line running up the left hand of the screen, There is not a mark on the phone other than that.

I am in the UK so this seems to be my cheapest option if I were to buy/repair.
Nokia Lumia 1020 Touch Panel/ Digitizer / LCD Screen Replacement Repair Service | eBay

I am not really sure on where I stand regarding the warranty repair /replacement but I will be getting in contact with Nokia and see what they have to say.

So far I have been living with the green line :( And although It is a bit off putting the phone does work fine so I can live with it for now but it will get to me in the end!

mobile divide

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my phone and was being quoted $200+ for replacement from a couple of vendors here in NYC. On a whim I bought an OEM screen from Etrade Supply which arrived in just a couple of days and replaced mine myself. Very simple to do and looks like new.

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
GBP from that store is ?87:29 which is a ton cheaper than half the places I have checked out.

To be fair though the ebay link I posted does seem to be the best option as they fit the screen and I possibly keep my warranty in tact, Although I do like to fix things myself I may go down the ebay route because one, It's a genuine store and secondly their feedback does appear to be great, When I figure out what to do just to be safe that could be my best option.

I sent Nokia a message to see if the warranty would cover the breakage and I am just waiting to hear from them...

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
GBP from that store is ?87:29 which is a ton cheaper than half the places I have checked out.

To be fair though the ebay link I posted does seem to be the best option as they fit the screen and I possibly keep my warranty in tact, Although I do like to fix things myself I may go down the ebay route because one, It's a genuine store and secondly their feedback does appear to be great, When I figure out what to do just to be safe that could be my best option.

I sent Nokia a message to see if the warranty would cover the breakage and I am just waiting to hear from them...

Oh and another thing, should you decide to repair your phone yourself with external replacement parts, it voids your warranty, so you might want to avoid that, depending on what you prefer. Good luck!

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to Nokia via twitter and they basically told me to take it to an authorized Nokia care center to be assessed which I did yesterday ;)

The people there said as it is under warranty and there is no damage to the phone it may be fixed under warranty free of charge ;) BUT there is a possibility that if there is damage to the screen inside then it will not be fixed under warranty and that I will be liable for any and all charges at around ?125 !!! which is a bit of a crazy price and a shock.

To be honest I am just glad it's out of my hands for now, It would be excellent if it was fixed under warranty free of charge but only time will tell, I will update when I hear anything.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Please do keep us informed. I have a 1020 also and interested in your resolution. What happened that caused the green line? Also, what is it like owning the 1020 in the UK? I'm originally from there and any time I speak with family about phones the WP's don't seem to be very well received. I just wonder if I can change some minds with my 1020 when I visit in March.

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Apologies for the late reply ;) I am actually still waiting for my phone to come back from repair and I still don't know if it's been fixed /can be fixed or has been fixed under warranty or is going to cost a small fortune!

Luckily nokia finally tracked down my phone and said it was in for repair (YAY) and should be with me hopefully by this Wednesday 29th :D They have been bombarded with phones due to the recent black update so my phone was in a long line of other phones that also needed repair.

My phone I love it, It is great but I don't know a single other person who has one or any other a windows phone or would like one :( Crazy, They are all stuck in the same old apple /Samsung craze so I believe there is possibly no hope for them :p

As for my phone's repair, The store said regardless of how it happened, Because there is no physical damage anywhere to be seen, The warranty should cover it, I will keep you posted though :) Fingers crossed for good news.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Apologies for the late reply ;) I am actually still waiting for my phone to come back from repair and I still don't know if it's been fixed /can be fixed or has been fixed under warranty or is going to cost a small fortune!

Luckily nokia finally tracked down my phone and said it was in for repair (YAY) and should be with me hopefully by this Wednesday 29th :D They have been bombarded with phones due to the recent black update so my phone was in a long line of other phones that also needed repair.

My phone I love it, It is great but I don't know a single other person who has one or any other a windows phone or would like one :( Crazy, They are all stuck in the same old apple /Samsung craze so I believe there is possibly no hope for them :p

As for my phone's repair, The store said regardless of how it happened, Because there is no physical damage anywhere to be seen, The warranty should cover it, I will keep you posted though :) Fingers crossed for good news.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully you have a back up phone until your precious 1020 returns. I would be lost without mine. It is crazy how nobody wants to listen to you about how good WP is. I think once BB messenger is released it will help a lot. I know a lot of people over there use that. Other than that I don't really see too many reasons not too switch. WP is the better OS.

Matt Bee

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Had a friend of mine drop his, and he sent it to:

Palco Cell Phone Repair
2914 Green Cove Road
Huntsville, Alabama 35803

They fixed it perfectly, and you can't tell it was repaired. Shipped fast, and was a very smooth transaction!!

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
All good ;) I picked up my phone yesterday from the care point and so far so good it seems to be perfectly fine.

The store said it was a case/cover manufacturing fault which had caused the screen to be cut in half so it was fixed under warranty and it only took so long to be repaired because apparently the black update has lots of phones in a mess so they have been flooded with Nokia phones over the last few weeks!

(I took a picture of the green line and screen damage with my partners phone which I will upload later just in case anyone else has a similar problem)

Anyhow I haven't had time to set my phone up at all except for checking to see it it worked because of work but today is a free day ;) Time to play !!!

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
It also it came back to the store with the Lumia Black Update Pre Loaded for me :) Which was a nice touch as I sent it off with Amber still on the phone. Happy Days :D

Cam korn

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
My phone has exactly the same problem on the right side of the screen, am so disappointed as I have only had it for 2 weeks and it hasn't been dropped or cracked. I have contact Nokia via their facebook page and I am waiting to hear back. hopefully it will get resolved.

Henryfabu

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I read that your screen was broken without droping the phone, and was replaced under warranty.
Yesterday my screen was broken by itself, without any drop. Just 5 minutes before it was working and I didn’t touch the phone. Then I unlocked the phone and the screeen was black with some dots of various colors in the right low corner, forming a small line.
I attemted to do a soft reset and the problem remained.
Ten minutes later there was a longer line of colored dots, and a light colored area down it (the screen remained black)
Then I went to the Nokia Care point and they tolm me the internal lcd screen was broken, and that they are sure I droped it or I gave a blow. It is false. The phone is perfect, externally totally new. The external screen glass is not broken, it is perfect and new.
The lumia 1020 only has five days since they gave it to me because a warranty swap from a Nokia 808.

Could you help me? Could you send me any avidence to tell Nokia Care employer, that there is possible that a screen was broken by itself, and there is a manufacturing fault that must be repaired under warranty?
I am thinking about your IMEI number, and/or your repair sheet with the detected defect and the work performed, any help is welcome.
Thank you very much in advance.
I I will be very grateful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon