Help - 1020 RM-875 Only Connecting at 2G (EDGE) speeds

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi All - Happy New Year when it comes. :smile:
Like many of you, I live outside the USA. I have a new Nokia Lumia 1020 RM-875. It was advertised on Amazon.com as "ATT Unlocked" but when I got it I found that it is an RM-875 not an RM-877 and the original FW is for a carrier in Australia. I hoped that would be OK since the RM-875 is the "international version". However, I have a problem - my 1020 RM-875 won't pick up HSPA/HSPA+ from my local carrier. My local carrier uses the same frequencies as AT&T, and provide all mobile data services except LTE. My local carrier provides HSPA+ (HSDPA+) but my 1020 will only connect with EDGE (GPRS 2G) - it shows E beside the signal strength indicator.

Corrupted Firmware?
The carrier suggested that there could be a problem in the firmware - perhaps caused by the unlocking process used by the vendor. I was unable to access the Nokia Care Suite (NCS) v4 from posts by Buxz777 so used NaviFirm+ to download the FW files. The Buxz777 posts were then very useful. I was able to use NCS v5 to flash my phone in recovery mode. THANKS Buxz777!!!

Checked SIM:
My carrier has confirmed that my SIM is configured for 3G/4G services. If I put my SIM in another phone and that phone is able to access 3G - so that confirms that my SIM is OK.

Tried Different FWs:
I have used NCS 5 to flash my 1020 with the newest CV FW for Australia/New Zealand (059T4B1) and with the newest CV FW for UK (059T1V6). Both show the Nokia Amber version of the FW. But, no change - still only EDGE connection!!

Confirmed with Carrier that all phone settings correct:
My carrier reconfigured my account then check all the settings in my phone - Mobile Network & Access Point, but still only EDGE connection.

Please Help!!
Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Has anyone found a solution?
How may I test my 1020 to see if the Radio is faulty?

Otherwise, I really love my 1020 (it is a real step up from my HTC HD7 in every way!!!) and don't want to have to return it to Amazon.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

Flaurehn

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, what you need to do is dial ##3282# to access the field test app, and there you should change the network type in settings to force 3G (with this you will have HSPA+, LTE is unavailable because of the hardware on the RM-875).

Now, it seemed my network operator (Telcel Mexico) didn't allow access to the field test app, so if that is your case you should follow these steps after Getting Update 3 on your developer phone and then with Windows Phone Power Tools install the Native Toast Launcher in your phone. Once you have donde that, launch the Native Toast Launcher and type this in the target uri box: app://2377fe1b-c10f-47da-92f3-fc517345a3c0/_default#/Launcher;component/MainPage.xaml?DialString=3282

Victor Tribal

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, what you need to do is dial ##3282# to access the field test app, and there you should change the network type in settings to force 3G (with this you will have HSPA+, LTE is unavailable because of the hardware on the RM-875).

Now, it seemed my network operator (Telcel Mexico) didn't allow access to the field test app, so if that is your case you should follow these steps after Getting Update 3 on your developer phone and then with Windows Phone Power Tools install the Native Toast Launcher in your phone. Once you have donde that, launch the Native Toast Launcher and type this in the target uri box: app://2377fe1b-c10f-47da-92f3-fc517345a3c0/_default#/Launcher;component/MainPage.xaml?DialString=3282

I also have RM875 international version that reads Australia/New Zealand when checked in system.This is what mine does:it will get H,H+ in certain areas with a H,H+ tower,if not it goes on EDGE showing E

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Flaurehn - Thanks so much for your response and suggested solution. You have given me hope. However, I am not a developer so I have to read your instructions and the related links very carefully before I try to execute them.

Will my phone work in the normal way after I do the "developer unlock" and install WIndows Phone Power Tools, etc?

Step 1: I can't access the field test app as you have indicated. I guess my local carrier does not allow it either. However, I have a meeting with a Nokia Tech Rep. on Monday a.m. I am hoping that he will be able to use the field test app to change the network type as you suggest.

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Victor Tribal - Unfortunately, my phone never goes to H or H+, even though everyone I know on the same carrier that I use is able to get 3G/4G on their phones (iphone, Samsung G2/3, Blackberry, etc.). It also only identifies my carrier as "2G" in the Settings/Mobile Network options.

Last edited:

Flaurehn

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry, if you follow correctly the instructions you will have 0 problems with your phone, I think most of us here have done those steps in order to have GDR3 in our phones :D

And to your question in the other thread, I tried flashing an AT&T rom but no luck, which is weird because other roms have no problem :/

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your continued help. Speaking with my carrier now. They are suggesting the the they can try to update the "config file". However, I would nee to give them my phone for at least 1 day. Is that basically the same as the procedure you have suggested, or is this some different approach?

Using your procedure, do I need to install the beta updates (part of the procedure in 1 of your links), or can I just stay with my current FW version and still complete your procedure? I really just want to connect to 3G.

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
My carrier is trying to persuade me that the best option is for me to return my 1020 and buy one from them when they make it available in a few weeks.

Will now try Flaurehn's "developer unlock" procedure. Wish me luck. May I skip the "upgrade software" step. I'm willing to stay on Nokia Amber until the general release of Black. Just want to be able to connect to 3G.

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
My desktop runs Windows 7. The Win Phone SDK in your link requires a Win 8 computer. Is there a Wn 7 version of the Win Phone SDK that I can use?

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
HELP Please!!! I completed the process you suggested (without downloading any firmware updates) - set the phone to "3G only". Now the phone has no network connection. The phone is not recognising any mobile network. No voice/no data. I set it back to "automatic" but same result - no recognized.

Please help. Thanks.

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Which channel? How do I change the channel?

I will check all the toggles - I believe that they were all on. They were all off when I had the problem. Meanwhile, I have run "Software update" hoping that would help. The update just finished - still no network found.

Flaurehn

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine is set like this, try putting the UMTS band to channel two, wait like 30 seconds and then go to automatic

ew8PAQ4.png

Last edited:

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Flaurehn - Success!!!! I toggled ENS on, as you indicated, and VIOLA!!! I now see an intermittent "H" beside the signal strength bar graph. :smile::smile::smile: I understand that the signal from my carrier is weak in this area. I expect that the 3G signal will be more consistent as I move around.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Flaurehn

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Glad you made it! A note though, the first times it reseted itself to 2G again, I did the same metod twice again, and then it began working perfectly

the_dread

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I'll certainly look out for that. How long did it take to revert to 2G? However, going well so far. My phone shows "H" at my home - using it to write this post.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and provide all the guidance I needed!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo