Lumia 1020 Melted Nearby the Charging Port

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Got a surprised news in the 1st day of 2014 from a friend whom I recommended to buy Lumia 1020. His phone melted nearby the charging port while the phone is charging. He was using the original charger that comes with the Lumia 1020. Thank God there was no explosion.

WP_20140102_001.jpg
WP_20140102_006.jpg
WP_20140102_008.jpg
WP_20140102_011.jpg

And expected, the Nokia in my country wouldn't respond to the tweet I posted to them. Will go to the Nokia Care and see what are they going to do later.

More pictures
WP_20140102_015.jpg
WP_20140102_018.jpg
WP_20140102_017.jpg
WP_20140102_020.jpg
WP_20140102_022.jpg

My friend didn't realized there was a problem so he casually unplug the charger and cause some swollen on his finger due to the heat.
The phone was purchased at December 8, 2013.

Last edited:

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Keep us posted on what Nokia does about it, especially interested about their response after what they did when Samsung tried to screw over their customer who had the same issue with his Galaxy phone.
I hope they will be that fast and understanding when one of their phones is involved.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just came back from Nokia Care and as I expected, they don't want to take the responsibility.
First thing the staff said when we showed her the phone, "This type of damaged is not covered under warranty". Of course, my friend became furious. The staff without even asking what happened and investigated it quickly responded that way. Then we talked with a slightly louder volume and told them we might sue you all. Then only, the staff said "We're gonna take the pictures of this case and send it over to the Head Office at Jakarta and will contact you when we have the news".
And the staff doesn't even dare to collect the phone. She asked us to just take the phone with us and no documents are signed to show that we have reported this case.
Lose faith with the Nokia Customer Service.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
You need to take this to the last resource, don't give up. This was a faulty product made by Nokia and they need to replace the phone or give back the money paid. If you friend need to sue, then he has to do it.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Just came back from Nokia Care and as I expected, they don't want to take the responsibility.
First thing the staff said when we showed her the phone, "This type of damaged is not covered under warranty". Of course, my friend became furious. The staff without even asking what happened and investigated it quickly responded that way. Then we talked with a slightly louder volume and told them we might sue you all. Then only, the staff said "We're gonna take the pictures of this case and send it over to the Head Office at Jakarta and will contact you when we have the news".
And the staff doesn't even dare to collect the phone. She asked us to just take the phone with us and no documents are signed to show that we have reported this case.
Lose faith with the Nokia Customer Service.

Try to bring it to the attention of Nokia Finland or someone higher up in the company; from your experience it seems like their local agents are completely incompetent in dealing with the issue.

From my experience with certain tech companies their support quality can vary greatly from country to country.

alvinsfb

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I think that NCC is pretty bad..
How about bring it to another NCC in your place?
Because I heard between one and another NCC here (+62) have different agencies. So the quality may vary between it.

Keep us posted

SeanMisselbrook

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Sadly the Nokia Care centres are contracted out repair centres and should not represent the support you should be getting from Nokia directly. Try and speak with someone at Nokias customer support and explain the situation, they might be a bit more supportive

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
your direct seller is also a guarantor of products with warranties. you can always go after the seller in case the manufacturer dishonors a warranty..in my country atleast. how was consumer protection laws in your country?

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You need to take this to the last resource, don't give up. This was a faulty product made by Nokia and they need to replace the phone or give back the money paid. If you friend need to sue, then he has to do it.
Yeap. We intend to fight this so they don't simply ignored their responsibility. Had some similar problems with the car company in here like Toyota and Chevrolet. Until I escalated it further to the higher level only then they responded.

Try to bring it to the attention of Nokia Finland or someone higher up in the company; from your experience it seems like their local agents are completely incompetent in dealing with the issue.

From my experience with certain tech companies their support quality can vary greatly from country to country.

Exactly, the support quality varied greatly. I should say some big companies like Microsoft, Nokia, Chevrolet are considered pretty bad in here (based on my personal experience) and surprisingly, Samsung are so much better. Very helpful and friendly.
I can't find the email support to Nokia Finland. Any idea where to get it?
I think that NCC is pretty bad..
How about bring it to another NCC in your place?
Because I heard between one and another NCC here (+62) have different agencies. So the quality may vary between it.

Keep us posted

Thank you for the information. Just dig up some information about the NCC in here, it seems there are 3 different companies, based on their company email address.

Sadly the Nokia Care centres are contracted out repair centres and should not represent the support you should be getting from Nokia directly. Try and speak with someone at Nokias customer support and explain the situation, they might be a bit more supportive

At first we went to the Nokia Center where we bought the phone and the staff told us to go to the Nokia Care upstairs. And we can see that they tried to avoid this. Will go and visit another Nokia Care Center and find the Customer Support Representative.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
your direct seller is also a guarantor of products with warranties. you can always go after the seller in case the manufacturer dishonors a warranty..in my country atleast. how was consumer protection laws in your country?

The consumer protection in here is so poor. Until it is sued or it has been a widespread news then only they will respond.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly, this evening, the Nokia Care that we visited in the afternoon called back after more than 4 hours and asked to meet up tomorrow afternoon. And Nokia Indonesia replied to the tweet and asked for the photos so they can investigate it. This should be the kind of response that Nokia Care should have given earlier.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The consumer protection in here is so poor. Until it is sued or it has been a widespread news then only they will respond.

Blame your government for that. If they will not provide the necessary laws to protect the people they serve the maybe its time to replace them with someone that will.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly, this evening, the Nokia Care that we visited in the afternoon called back after more than 4 hours and asked to meet up tomorrow afternoon. And Nokia Indonesia replied to the tweet and asked for the photos so they can investigate it. This should be the kind of response that Nokia Care should have given earlier.
good luck, hope for the best. They should give your friend a new phone and a case as a bonus.

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Time for Nokia to match their words with actions; yes I am referring to the incident where they poked fun at Samsung and their customer service!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have luck with your local Nokia office contact the regional office for all of SEA and Pacific

Nokia Regional Office for South East Asia and Pacific.
Gateway East
152 Beach Road
#20-01/08
Singapore 189721
Tel: 6 567 232 323
Fax: 6 567232 324

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

First impressions are always key; but glad to hear it seems to be moving in a more positive way.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
good luck, hope for the best. They should give your friend a new phone and a case as a bonus.

Thank you. Yes, for this kind of case, they should replace with the new one. Even if they will give a bonus, a case won't be one of them. Because, as usual, the Nokia in here is very slow in selling accessories.

Time for Nokia to match their words with actions; yes I am referring to the incident where they poked fun at Samsung and their customer service!
If you don't have luck with your local Nokia office contact the regional office for all of SEA and Pacific

Nokia Regional Office for South East Asia and Pacific.
Gateway East
152 Beach Road
#20-01/08
Singapore 189721
Tel: 6 567 232 323
Fax: 6 567232 324

First impressions are always key; but glad to hear it seems to be moving in a more positive way.

So far, the actions from them are far from my expectations. Went to meet with the customer care representative just now and he said he will need to send the device to main office in Jakarta, which is 2 hours by flight from here. And he said he will give us the answers within 7 working days, which is to me unacceptable.
Had an experience buying Bose Headphone in USA and then the headphone jack was damaged during the flight back. So I searched for the nearby Bose service center and it is in Malaysia. Told them what happened and without much questions, they quickly replace a new one for me. This is the kind of response I expect from Nokia.

But anyway, we will wait for their response.

We also requested them to save all the photos inside, as the USB port is damaged so we can't charge the phone or connect the phone to computer to copy all the data. It contains all the precious photos with the family during the New Year's Eve Celebration.
But without thinking of other methods, he quickly say, "We can't guarantee that we'll be able to back up all the data". Again the same mistake like yesterday, didn't think properly first, straight away give us the answer that they can't guarantee that they will be able to back up the data and blame us why we didn't turn on the Auto Upload to Skydrive.
Told them that the other way is to use Wireless Charging Shell, which they don't sell it as well, so we can charge the phone wirelessly (assuming it's not damaged) and then transfer the photos to Skydrive.
From my analysis, at least, they will be able to replace the USB port and then connect it to the phone. I'm pretty sure it can be done.
But does uploading to Skydrive upload the full 34 MP resolution?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)