1020 OIS Screech

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
^ Same here, and also with Telecom NZ's service. I've had the same issue, and at this point I'd just like a refund.

Mate, Nokia NZ are the worst customer service I have EVER experienced. I've been emailing a guy who works at Nokia NZ (now Microsoft) and making little headway. PM me for his contact details. I am also ready to wash my hands of the 1020, what an epic failure. Maybe should write to Fair Go??

I just found this video on Youtube:

Read the comments; I can't help thinking this OIS issue is related to the OIS running for long periods and overheating. First time I had it I had been using the torch for a long while. More recently I have been recording squash games, just leaving my phone on a bench recording for 15 minutes at a stretch. Makes me wonder about Nokia's QA.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 is making the same screech noise. I hoped it would go away, too. But it hasn't.
Have you had any success with a solution?

It won't get better. I'm onto my 4th 1020 now, and they've all had this fault to a greater or lesser extent. The latest one is just starting to do it when held at certain angles. It started off from brand new with extremely noisy bearings even before the screeching started, I should've replaced it immediately. This will be my last 1020, once it gets too bad I'll give it away and try and get a decent phone. Can't believe the lack of quality on these things.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It won't get better. I'm onto my 4th 1020 now, and they've all had this fault to a greater or lesser extent. The latest one is just starting to do it when held at certain angles. It started off from brand new with extremely noisy bearings even before the screeching started, I should've replaced it immediately. This will be my last 1020, once it gets too bad I'll give it away and try and get a decent phone. Can't believe the lack of quality on these things.

I've read your previous post regarding the issue you experienced. I've owned my L1020 for over six months but I still have no problems with my camera. I also recorded videos for prolonged periods of time (the longest being 45 minutes), but there is still no screeching. In line with this, I've also read that prolonged use of the LED lamp causes some issues with the camera module. I never used the LED lamp for prolonged periods of time.

Have you been using the LED lamp while recording videos?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
OP, I've owned my 1020 for 14 months. Just now, I heard a slight whine coming from my camera module - it only occurs during sudden movements, and is very slight/quiet. I've tested it on video, and unfortunately it comes back when recording video and shaking the thing in a particular motion. I'm here in NZ too on Spark, but bought the phone last October - what do you think?

Update: okay now it seems to have gotten worse and is easily repeatable by setting the focus to macro and swinging it back and forth. Thankfully, the Nokia warranties are for 24 months(??!!!), which is quite generous compared to Apple's 12 months. I'll be taking it back to the store to get it fixed :S

Last edited:

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
J get the same screech Very annoying. What can I do? Phone isn't on a contract.

I had this same problem, and had it repaired. I made a thread and updated it with the entire story of my repair, in case someone else had that issue and went looking for answers, so I really this helps you, I can remember how much it irritated me;

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/328601-1020-camera-screeching-fixed.html

This is a hardware issue, it looks like it will need a repair of some form to solve, sorry for the bad news.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6