1020 OIS Screech

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 1020 since October and been very happy with it. But it's recently developed a weird fault, and I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has had the same thing (and as a warning).

I was using a flashlight (torch) app to read with for the first time, and noticed after a few minutes that the camera body became extremely hot and that the OIS (image stabilisation) had been running the whole time. When I moved the camera in certain directions it made a loud screeching noise. I hoped it would improve once cool, but unfortunately not.

So I will have to send it to Nokia for service/replacement, as it's ruined the ability to take videos, and who knows how much worse it will get.

Have a listen to this video to see how bad it is:

Thoughts?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
That is really strange, would definitely try to get it replaced; and probably a good warning for everyone to stay away from torch apps. I always wondered whether the flash/focus LED was ever designed for extended use as a torch; your experience seems to suggest that it has not.

MJThib

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
Good luck with trying to get a replacement and thanks for posting. Definitely going to minimize the use any flashlight app.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
i get it too, but never used a torch device longer than a min or so.

Have you returned your phone? If so, what experience did you have with Nokia?

Have you ever dropped it or had anything out of the ordinary happen to it you can think of that might have triggered it?

I hope this doesn't become a common fault as it will be very bad PR for Nokia. Given that the phones have only been out a few monhths.

Cheers

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you returned your phone? If so, what experience did you have with Nokia?

Have you ever dropped it or had anything out of the ordinary happen to it you can think of that might have triggered it?

I hope this doesn't become a common fault as it will be very bad PR for Nokia. Given that the phones have only been out a few monhths.

Cheers

havent tried returning the unit, maybe I should. I rarely take videos, and bought the phone for the camera.

I'm sure I have dropped the phone, having had it since launch. but the phone is in great condition. But I recall hearing this ever since I got it.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
havent tried returning the unit, maybe I should. I rarely take videos, and bought the phone for the camera.

I'm sure I have dropped the phone, having had it since launch. but the phone is in great condition. But I recall hearing this ever since I got it.
If I were you I would return it, as I suspect it is the OIS motors/bearings failing. So even if you only take photos, it might affect that in due course.

I returned mine over a week ago but I have now found out that Nokia support (here in NZ at least) is absolutely pathetic, they claim to have not received it yet when the courier tracking shows it as delivered a week ago. Trying to get info out of them is nigh on impossible, and no one seems to care. I've stopped recommending Nokia to people who ask me about phones, sadly.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
If I were you I would return it, as I suspect it is the OIS motors/bearings failing. So even if you only take photos, it might affect that in due course.

I returned mine over a week ago but I have now found out that Nokia support (here in NZ at least) is absolutely pathetic, they claim to have not received it yet when the courier tracking shows it as delivered a week ago. Trying to get info out of them is nigh on impossible, and no one seems to care. I've stopped recommending Nokia to people who ask me about phones, sadly.

That sucks, its sad to hear that a company regarded highly in some countries can suck completely in others. At least you have the courier confirmation of delivery, so the ball is in Nokia's court and if they lost your device then they should provide a new one.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Just reporting back as have now received a replacement phone from Nokia NZ. Unfortunately I had a terrible experience with the local Nokia Care. After 2 weeks of hounding them for a status report, I managed to track down a NZ Nokia employee on Twitter. He advised that it looked like a day's mail had been lost from their service center. So they just sent me a replacement and haven't located the handset I returned. So I can't provide any feedback on what they thought of the above issue, unfortunately.

New handset going well, despite having the dreaded #8000ffff error while restoring apps from backup.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Just reporting back as have now received a replacement phone from Nokia NZ. Unfortunately I had a terrible experience with the local Nokia Care. After 2 weeks of hounding them for a status report, I managed to track down a NZ Nokia employee on Twitter. He advised that it looked like a day's mail had been lost from their service center. So they just sent me a replacement and haven't located the handset I returned. So I can't provide any feedback on what they thought of the above issue, unfortunately.

New handset going well, despite having the dreaded #8000ffff error while restoring apps from backup.

Can u comment on the OIS screech on the replacement?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed that mine also makes a noise when taking pics is it OIS coming on ?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

yes, OIS works for both pics and video.

problem is mine makes too much noise, and the video audio is ruined, like the example I posted above.

planning to send mine in for repairs, but will need a phone while it is sent in. Considering getting the Icon as my second phone.

anon(8790854)

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem with this wicked noise. It's not the normal OIS sound, which you can bearly hear. It's like closing a not oiled metal door... As it was described earlier, the audio contains only this "screeeeeech".

Strange thing here is, that the noise is only here, when the phone is held and moved in a specific angle.

Luckily, my phone was still waranted. So my carrier sent it to a licensed Nokia repaircenter in Switzerland.

Of course they were not able to find any missfunction. They did a Softwareupdate and sent it back.

Still the noise was there.

Bad for me, that the noise only appears, when held in this "special" angle.

All my video recordings with my phone were useless, because of this noise :(

I think about ****storming my carrier or Nokia Switzerland, as far I know, it helped a lot of people, getting their device (of any kind) repaired....

Did someone also have this issue, only in a specific angle? :straight:

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem with this wicked noise. It's not the normal OIS sound, which you can bearly hear. It's like closing a not oiled metal door... As it was described earlier, the audio contains only this "screeeeeech".

Strange thing here is, that the noise is only here, when the phone is held and moved in a specific angle.

Luckily, my phone was still waranted. So my carrier sent it to a licensed Nokia repaircenter in Switzerland.

Of course they were not able to find any missfunction. They did a Softwareupdate and sent it back.

Still the noise was there.

Bad for me, that the noise only appears, when held in this "special" angle.

All my video recordings with my phone were useless, because of this noise :(

I think about ****storming my carrier or Nokia Switzerland, as far I know, it helped a lot of people, getting their device (of any kind) repaired....

Did someone also have this issue, only in a specific angle? :straight:

if u have videos to demonstrate the noise, just mail it back and say it was not repaired w software update .

anon(8790854)

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Just got a new invoice, they're waiting for spare parts... No new device for me.

Hope the issue will be finally solved with those spare parts.

Will keep you updated

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Just reporting back that this issue has returned in my replacement handset. Was definitely not the original unit repaired, as that was cunningly "lost in the mail" by Nokia or NZ Post. So if I return it, this will be the 4th time this year my 1020 has been returned to Nokia NZ.

Not as severe as first time, but presume it will only get worse. This must be a major design fault in the 1020. I'm just wondering whether it is worth the hassle of returning for replacement, as seems likely the new unit will eventually fail in this way anyway?? Returning is such a hassle with the factory reset, packaging/posting, wait, restore etc etc.

Disgusted with the quality of this phone; should've known when I bought something yellow it would be a lemon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo