Beastgrip or Snapzoom for Lumia 1020?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I've been a lurker on here for too long and it is now time for me to contribute!

A little bit about me, I am hugely impressed with the camera on the Lumia 1020, and also Windows Phone 8. I upgraded from a HTC Titan which was no slouch either, but the Nokia is light years ahead!

I am new to mobile photography of this magnitude (I think most people are!) and recently jumped on the UrbEx wagon and the 1020 is perfect. A sample to show how I am doing with a little practice with just the camera grip;

11633191516_0605127641_o.jpg

More can be found here; Flickr: Crasstoe's Photostream

With introductions out the way, now on to topic. I have been looking for ways to add reliable telephoto and macro abilities to the 1020 with minimum modification whilst keeping it simple. I want it to look good and not like some sort of homebrew rig that could break any minute, or that require setting up EVERY time I want to use it. I stumbled on Beastgrip, and also Snapzoom, both kickstarter projects that I unfortunately missed out on, however they are both due for online sales to start this year (Feb-March), and I have hit a roadblock, which is better?!

The beast grip is by far the most attractive with multiple accessories mounts and offers a 37mm attachment, which with DOF adapters can accomodate Prime lenses.
beastgrip2.jpg

Beastgrip universal lens adapter and rig system for camera phoneshomeUniversal, Adjustable, Modular... Works with IOS, Android, Windows and BlackBerry phones

The Snapzoom takes a simpler approach but suffers as a result, but allows you to clamp any optics, scopes, telescopes (prime lenses?) and simply clamp or unclamp your phone. This means ANY level of zoom is possible, but is it better?
2-20-2013snapzoom.jpg

Snapzoom

Both are around the same price delivered.

So what do you think?

Chris

Last edited:

MJThib

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
First off, nice photo!

Now I haven't seen either of those before and both look like nice options. That said the Beastgrip really has me wanting to hit the pre-order. Love the adjustability and all the standard attachment points.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The Beastgrip definitely has upgrade potential, and once it is setup all you need to do is snap the phone in, since all the positioning is done before you need to use it... A question is are there any "decent" 35mm lenses out there?! Or how much would it cost to actually get a DOF adapter an Prime lens for it?

If you want simple zoom and the ability to take photos through a telescope (aka digiscoping) then the Snapzoom wins hands down. Damn this is hard!

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
How would lens adapters work? The Beastgrip accepts 37mm lens mounts. So if I had a lens which has a mount of 50 something mm then I could get an adapter, right? The only risk I run is a vignette effect I think

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
M37 to xx adapter (sometimes called a step up ring) in theory would work, however a DOF adapter gives better results but aren't cheap!

I plan on going for a M37 to 52mm adapter and a lens straight on. If the vignette is horrendous then a DOF could be a investment, or just use the digital zoom on the 1020 to remove.

Without the DOF adapter theoretically you will lose infinity focus but tbh i have never used it! You should be able to get close using focus on the lens and the 1020 in tandem.

I really just like the idea of being able to have a play with lenses and see what effects it gets. If it works with a cheap lens then i will look at investing in something more expensive.

TBH i think i am sold on the Beastgrip...

--EDIT--

Here is a video showing before and after with a DOF adapter. Seeing as the 1020 has a good shallow DOF anyway I don't think it will be strictly needed, and results should be better than this chaps camcorder without, but with the adapter = WOW!

http://youtu.be/9y8cWSEynOI

And here is a link to the adapter he is using, and at $179 for use with a 37mm mount and Canon EOS lenses it isn't as expensive as I was thinking!

http://www.vid-atlantic.com/products/encinema-35mm-slr-lens-adapter-for-dv-hd-cameras

Last edited:

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
So what exactly does this DOF adapter do? It sits in between the 1020 and your lens of choice, and you would focus manually by turning the lens and not on the 1020?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Think of it like a projector screen. The SLR lens projects its image onto the screen, and then you focus your camera (1020) to the screen to record or snap whatever is on that screen.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Nice photos. Liking Mr. Potato Head ;-) . Nothing useful to add, but thanks for those links, hadn't realised either product existed.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I already own a beastgrip. still figuring on how to assemble the whole dof adapter.

Have you tried without the DOF adapter at all? I am planning on attaching a legacy lens directly to the grip itself, specifically a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm F2.8 Tessar. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

AetherElement

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
yeap tried without the dof adapter. currently mounted a wide angle lens for the mean time. I really wanted to try and mount my helios 44-2 58mm f2 but i dun hv the m42 reverse ring adapter now. gonna get one tomorrow and give it a try. i do like the grip but whn i do wanna get my speedlight to work under slave mode i need to remove the 37mm threading that's is assembled with the beastgrip and i can't mount any lenses by doing so. :crying:

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Got an M37 - 42 adapter on the way, cost $2 on eBay!

How is the picture without the DOF adapter? Weighing up if it is needed for what I want to achieve... any chance of some pics?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
My beastgrip arrived

(pics here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...beastgrip-nokia-lumia-1020-a.html#post2304776)

If I wanted to use my canon lenses (I believe they're fd mount), how would I get them on to the beastgrip? the only lenses I have aren't thread-based, they seem more like in and twist, do such adapters exist?

You can get a mount adapter, best to try some google fu. Try in either 37mm or 52mm. You may need to use macro lenses in between to get the image into focus depending on your lens.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I can find screw to canon but not canon to screw...

I shall keep searching for you. Plenty for attaching legacy primes, which you can pick up cheap, I got my CSJ Tessar 50mm for ?30!

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I made the jump into Beastgrip and I'm loving it so far!

IMG_4488.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

If you're interested in my thoughts/ongoing review of it, I've got a thread going HERE on wpc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss