I would like to try out the Nokia 1020 for the rest of the year, Live Tiles really interest me as im tired of iphones simple icons as well as androids similar look.

I currently live outside the US and buying the 1020 here for full price would cost me around 900 dollars, a little to much and a great deal breaker... But my question is, if one of my family members walks into an ATT store can he buy the phone at full price without having an ATT account? Also, would the phone be unlocked to work with other gsm carriers?
    01-04-2014 08:30 PM
    I would like to try out the Nokia 1020 for the rest of the year, Live Tiles really interest me as im tired of iphones simple icons as well as androids similar look.

I currently live outside the US and buying the 1020 here for full price would cost me around 900 dollars, a little to much and a great deal breaker... But my question is, if one of my family members walks into an ATT store can he buy the phone at full price without having an ATT account? Also, would the phone be unlocked to work with other gsm carriers?
    The phone will not be unlocked, unfortunately. But you can open a case with AT&T to see if they will give you the unlock code. Also, you can raise hell with AT&T corporate and file a complaint with the BBB and the FCC. Most likely, you will eventually get your phone unlocked. You can find some good info in this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ia-1520-a.html
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-04-2014 09:03 PM
    Thanks for your response, maybe if i try to buy from amazon or other online store i can get the phone for att's 600 dollars, i really dont want to pay 900 for it, it seems best buys sells it without contract but i dont know if they sell it locked or unlucked.
    01-04-2014 09:05 PM
    From reading other threads on here, I think you have to assume that if you buy a phone locked to AT&T, you will not be able to unlock it! Very few people have achieved it.

You can easily get the international version of the phone lock-free, check out eBay and Amazon.
    j rr likes this.
    01-05-2014 02:20 AM

If your family member is not an AT&T customer, then they should insist on AT&T unlocking the device right there before they pay for it. No reason they shouldn't do it other than some crazy policies. As soon as you pay the full off contact price you are entitled to the SIM unlock code.
    j rr likes this.
    01-05-2014 08:04 AM