1020 camera glass - how vulnerable is it?

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased a 1020 device and now a little bit worried about the glass protecting the camera. Afaik it's made of Gorilla Glass 3, so it's pretty tough and resistent to scratches and dirt. Even if it will get micro scratches, they will hardly affect the quality of my image since the glass is very close to the camera and the scratches will be on the other side.
However, since the quality of the pics is extremely important, I'm curious, if anyone had any problems with this glass and if you had, how expensive it was to replace one.
Thank you!

ps: Unfortunately, the only case with the camera cover I found around is Melkco's one wich has a screen cover and I realy realy don't want to put this beautiful phone in a "cage" (right now I have Melkco's silicon transperent cover), not saying that Nokia's camera grip doesn't have any camera cover aswell.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I bought a leather pouch and had my phone for 4 month. I have the yellow one and there is no scratches anywhere at all. Of cause the phone can be scratched but I found this Nokia to be the most durable phone. Take good care of the phone and it will probably look good.

Edit: I'm using Krusell's soft leather pouch for the Galaxy S4.

Emix1988

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't use any case. I don't think that camera glass is very vulnerable it should be gorilla glass 3 but mostly it depends if you take care of your phone or not really.
I mean even with cases some ppl scratch or drop their phones lol.

I don't have scratches or anything on my black 1020 except for one thing and that is usb port, color peel on two little spots because it's painted ceramic i think and every time i put usb cable inside it scratches these two spots. Not sure did you understand me?
But i think that every 1020 owner have this.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my 1020 once. I had large cracks running across the glass. The screen still displayed everything without problems. For this phone, the glass and screen is one piece. If you look around online, it cost ~$180 to buy the replacement hardware. I found a local phone repair shop that charged me $235 for part and labor. Doing the repair yourself is pretty difficult. After you remove the screen, there are other hardware elements glued to the backside of the screen. You'll need to take them off of the old screen, then glue it back on to the new screen. I simply doing have the tools and know how to do the operation. Other places I called wanted to charge $280 for part and labor.

But even after paying an arm & leg, I still don't have a case or screen protector on my 1020.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about microscratches. When I was debating whether to run a UV filter on my DSLR lenses for "cheap protection" I ran across some sites that tested really scratched up lenses, ones that you would think would take horrible pictures. In many cases you couldn't actually tell there was a problem with the lens when looking at the end result pictures. You'd have to really try to get the same kind of damage to the lens on a phone.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my phone yesterday when I was out for a walk with my dog. I had my hands full with the lead in one hand and a used poo bag in the other when I got a text from the missus. I juggled with my hands to enable me to reach into my pocket when the poo bag brushed against a bush with thorns and ripped. I had visions of being covered in dog crap and in the panic, I dropped my phone to the floor. It fell on some stones, face down and I feared the worse. Luckily, there is no damage on the screen although there is a small dink on the side of the body. I felt so relieved and I managed to avoid being covered in dog **** too.

Still....if I had a protective case, the phone would be without a dink at the moment.

Mixed feelings but it could have been so much worse considering it fell on stones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss