Full Discharge Battery even if it is just a days old

atherosxd

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I have just done at least 3 full discharge now(1 a day).
some threads they full discharge it atleast 4 days to return back to normal the battery drain.

And then I read a thread that Only full discharge if it is more than 2 weeks only.

have I done wrong??

my Phone is Lumia 1020

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while. Read more about Battery Calibration." How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Janda45

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while. Read more about Battery Calibration." How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
I'm not sure about this advice. Others have stated that several full discharges early on are healthy for the battery. I know my first drain this week went extremely fast down to 20% but then the meter began reading upwards of more time remaining on the charge than the percent of charge remaining would normally allow. Hence, I drained to less than 10% after nearly two days of use (battery indicator at 20% the whole time) and have cycled twice in the past three days. I left my phone on the AC charger provided over night and this AM the screen was locked. I soft reset and we're good but my battery meter says I only have 90%. Love my 1020 but I don't trust this battery or the meter at this point. I'm going to use my phone as I have always used my phone with some increased usage for the camera and apps and stop worrying about my battery. If it doesn't perform I'll get a different phone or a new battery.