How to update without Wi-Fi?

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Black seems to be availible for me, but it wont download because it realy realy wants to have a Wi-Fi connection. I dont have one in my house, and public wi-fi's are slower than my mobile internet so it's gonna take ages. Is it possible to update your phone without wi-fi? In FAQ on windowsphone.com it only recommends to have a wi-fi and doesnt say it's necessary.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree it's kind of stupid for Microsoft to assume everyone has wifi. They should have left an option to connect to PC using USB and update that way, similar to what was possible in Zune with WP7.
It just seems like MS killed off lot of functionality by killing off Zune, and I am not talking just about the update process.

Don't you have a friend with wifi or a work colleague who could help?

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I uploaded mine by cellular. Was unintentional, my WiFi was switched off and I started the download before I realised.

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
That's strange because I googled a lot and if what I found is true you simply can't download anything larger that 50 Mbyte without wi-fi connection.

CollingwoodFc

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Black seems to be availible for me, but it wont download because it realy realy wants to have a Wi-Fi connection. I dont have one in my house, and public wi-fi's are slower than my mobile internet so it's gonna take ages. Is it possible to update your phone without wi-fi? In FAQ on windowsphone.com it only recommends to have a wi-fi and doesnt say it's necessary.

If you have a spare phone or could borrow someones Phone, put your sim in other phone. Do network sharing and connect your windows phone with that network. Your win phone would think as WiFi.

Let us know if it works.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Is it wifi only for a period of time, then later they allow updates over mobile data? That's how Android does it; not sure about iOS.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The download is actually fairly quick, its the install that takes a while. You would probably be ok if you went and downloaded it at a place with free Wifi and then after it finished and asked to install, you could leave. I would want to plug it in to a charger during the install anyways.

All my updates have came while I was at work, on 750kbps Wifi. It doesn't take hours even at that speed.

drumsorbit

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
If you have a spare phone or could borrow someones Phone, put your sim in other phone. Do network sharing and connect your windows phone with that network. Your win phone would think as WiFi.

Let us know if it works.

Was just looking at ways to do this for a friend and wanted to say this worked perfectly! I enabled my internet sharing and they used it as wifi from their phone. Downloaded the black update quickly. Thanks!

Still ticked off with 8GB of monthly allowance I can't dl over mobile network ...

Rhunmay Teje

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
best way to update your LUMIA Phone is Go to Nokia Care. and other best way increase your mobile warranty.its relay good to take benefits of it

tariq4

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

tariq4

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Its the best if you take up another phone (android) and transform it into a wi-fi hotspot. You will be then able to access wi-fi through your windows phone. It works. I have downloaded nokia black updates and asphalt 8 airborne by this way.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Go to a coffee shop or McDonalds that has Wifi and do the update while you are eating.

I'm just curious is this possible? My understanding is that establishments offering free WiFi have download limits and are very slow. I would just think to go to a friends or relatives house that has a high or unlimited WiFi use and download it there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs