Nokia Black Update in India

ramanbnv

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone know when the Nokia Black Update will be rolled out in Vodafone users in India? I have a Lumia 1020 and its still showing an Amber update. and showing as up to date.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
In India, updates have nothing to do with the carrier.

Lumia black is available for the 1020, but everyone does not receive it as soon as its released. It may take a few days. Keep checking for updates, and you should have it soon.

abhirajsoni

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I got it yesterday for L925. It has also come out for 1020. Are you getting some error while checking for update or its saying that your phone is up to date?

Nik_Ind

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
In India, updates have nothing to do with the carrier.

Lumia black is available for the 1020, but everyone does not receive it as soon as its released. It may take a few days. Keep checking for updates, and you should have it soon.

Even I've been checking for updates regularly, but all in vain! I'm using a 920 on Vodafone.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I got my update as soon as it was available. Nokia take due care to serve Indian market. There is something wrong, try manually by taping update in settings.

Sent via Lumia 625 Black

Tathagata Banerjee

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I got mine yesterday for my Lumia 625. Nothing great actually. No Glace Screen, City Lense. Only custom ringtone for all notification and close option in multi-tasking window. Nokia Smart Cam replaced by Nokia Camera which is nowhere near the PureView app. No Refocus. Nothing at all. Even Subway Surfer not available for this near 20k INR phone as it has 512 MB RAM. All these coupled with a horrible Facebook App from Microsoft that consistently underperforms on my 2G network is a big let down. I heard big words of Nokia hardware and Microsoft OS in high sync to do wonders on frugal hardware config like this one. My wife's entry level Android phone with 512 MB and 1GHz Dual Core Mediatek can run the game seamlessly. Pretty un-impressive pointer from Nokia/Microsoft which I don't think they can actually afford if they want the Lumina brand to flourish.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Glance/City lense is impossible on our h/w spec, this we knew before buying don't regret and glance just sucks battery. Be happy DTTW is available with black update, which actually makes sense. I don't want all to see my notification counts. Double tap and see time and notifications.
Even camera was known to be lesser spec, all we knew before buying.
Don't compare with lagdroid bro, its full of spyware and adware, you wont even know that your wife's personal data/photos/information is publicly floated on internet. Its very disappointing truth. I replaced my Samsung galaxy grand for L625, just imagine why i did so.
Games are available for 512mb, i have huge game "asphalt8" which is awesome thing man.
Lumia already is recognized in India, people getting faith on high quality mobiles by Nokia.
Black update was late but very efficient and Nokia did best work for our satisfaction. Cheer up bhai.

I got mine yesterday for my Lumia 625. Nothing great actually. No Glace Screen, City Lense. Only custom ringtone for all notification and close option in multi-tasking window. Nokia Smart Cam replaced by Nokia Camera which is nowhere near the PureView app. No Refocus. Nothing at all. Even Subway Surfer not available for this near 20k INR phone as it has 512 MB RAM. All these coupled with a horrible Facebook App from Microsoft that consistently underperforms on my 2G network is a big let down. I heard big words of Nokia hardware and Microsoft OS in high sync to do wonders on frugal hardware config like this one. My wife's entry level Android phone with 512 MB and 1GHz Dual Core Mediatek can run the game seamlessly. Pretty un-impressive pointer from Nokia/Microsoft which I don't think they can actually afford if they want the Lumina brand to flourish.

Sent via Lumia 625 Black

Tathagata Banerjee

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Games are available for 512mb, i have huge game "asphalt8" which is awesome thing man.
Lumia already is recognized in India, people getting faith on high quality mobiles by Nokia.
Black update was late but very efficient and Nokia did best work for our satisfaction. Cheer up bhai.

True I knew that it runs of 512MB even before buying but I was told that the Nokia/Microsoft combo makes wonders on frugal specs like this. So when I stumble upon issues only due to less RAM and other hardware limitation related issues it makes me feel that I might have taken the plunge a bit too early putting my money in an evolving ecosystem which has some catching up to do still.

As far as the Droids are concerned it is not that bad and there are several ways to protect your privacy on all platforms. Its a matter of putting them to use. However this alone cannot be a justification of the gloomy state of affair at the WP App Store wherein Apps/Games free on other ecosystems are chargeable. Asphalt 8 Airborne will not even install in my 625 with 1.7 GB free space due to "Not enough space". Without the capability to install apps on SD what else can I test. But yes battery life and camera is very good must say. Mails, SMS, Phone calls, Contacts are nicely integrated. But again you cannot forward videos (other that those shot through your camera) is a big let down. Overall yes we got a mixed bag which is better than a Raw Deal. Cheering up at that thought though I do not see much future of this platform at its' current state in India.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
There is good future, more and more people are buying windows phone. Try updating to black than hard reset will clear all, restore your stuffs than install huge games without hazels.
Games are not for 512 mb just because developers are part time working for windows phone, still we have enough games to play with. Subsequently, 512mb versions are updated so lets wait.

Sent via Lumia 625 Black

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
That's strange, are you on amber of indian region? Than your phone is bound to get update.

Sent via Lumia 625 Black

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Are you going to judge a phone based on the availabilty of a single game?

And I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't care about the feasibilty of the hardware. You should have bought a 720 then.or 525.

Do you even know about a coding, screw that, have you even used windows cmd beyond Chkdsk?

There is always a reason to blame any item. If you didn't read the reviews before getting something, you lose something important.

Just because you bought something doesn't entitle you to write stupid **** about it, unless you made it. When you become the project manager, then you can lament about the design of the phone. If you don't like it, then sell it and buy another phone and read the review before buying that too.

nishant786

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes he does. If he purchased a phone using his own money and then came to this forum using his own account, then yes, he does have a right to post his feedback.

It isn't about one game, he is right, most games wont play on his new phone. He's also right about the fb app underperforming.

Though he should have done his homework about ram requirements and he's being unrealistic if he feels every phone will be able to play all games, he has every right to compare his phone to its competitors on different platforms.

As for his comparisons with android, he has every right. You or i may differ with those comparisons but the fact is he's comparing his phone to the closest competitor. And if he posts his feedback well then nokia and Microsoft must pull up their pants and listen to a person who gave them their money, and try to satisfy his (if reasonable) no reason for you to get your panties in a twist.

As for his coding skills? What does that have to do with anything? If your new car grinds to a halt or its airbags don't work or its lights don't work do the manufacturers tell you if you have a degree in mechanical engineering??

sorry but the only people being asses are people like you.

Are you going to judge a phone based on the availabilty of a single game?

And I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't care about the feasibilty of the hardware. You should have bought a 720 then.or 525.

Do you even know about a coding, screw that, have you even used windows cmd beyond Chkdsk?

There is always a reason to blame any item. If you didn't read the reviews before getting something, you lose something important.

Just because you bought something doesn't entitle you to write stupid **** about it, unless you made it. When you become the project manager, then you can lament about the design of the phone. If you don't like it, then sell it and buy another phone and read the review before buying that too.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Misleading advertising was shown that L625 has everything bigger.. It was like bigger Screen/performance/battery.. So it actually creates impression that L625 will have bigger ram too. I revolted too, i unlocked my phone to get all 1gb games side loaded. But after i played i felt it wasn't worth to take so many hazels to unlock my device. Lumia black update really made me happy with DTW and performance. Lets be happy and encourage the work. We will learn new things and we will grow.. Hence, we will be cautious before buying any stuff.

Sent via Lumia 625 Black

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
While I'm sorry that I sounded too scathing in my reply to him, and know the typical quirks of the Windows Phone being an early adopter, all I asked of him was to read the reviews of the device before he bought.

It is actually sad because people are too lazy to read reviews and then blame the OS and the OEMs because of that. What if he had bought a HTC WP8? Nokia atleast provides great perks for buying its phone.

Besides I also felt that way after buying the 720. I know it is a great phone, hell I even had a chance to play with the 625 in the store, but as I said, reviews do matter.

You can't simply pitch WP8 against Android or iOS, which have their own advantages and such other options.

Sometimes a developer takes and builds an app for a low memory device and later on updates the app to optimize it for bugs on the high end like memory leak. Sometimes,well (might be a bit more), you gotta wait for the good stuff. Remember the taunts and crappiola people pulled over Temple Run1? It is like the same thing all over again.

In the end, developers always like to maximize their profit and eke out app sales, in those cases Market Shares do matter, iOS has literally no segmentation because most of the devices (phones, touchpods) tend to be on the same page of hardware spectra being niche devices. Androids have a truckload of fragmentation and crapware floating around. But its sheer marketshare maximizes its profit. Windows Phone 8 is at a low marketshare situation.

Remember Guns4hire? It hasn't had an update like in forever, and the devs have done nothing, till date. It depends on the developer and the public that pressurize them to release and optimize their apps.

I'm just simply angry at him, simply buying a device that costs so much and to later realize that it was not worth it and cursing the manufacturers doesn't cut it.
Manufacturers cater to a wide variety of customers. It is upto the customer to make his decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers