Factory unlocked model with "carrier: Australia" listed??

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Howdy - I recently bought a factory unlocked Lumia 1020 on eBay. It's the RM-875 international version. It came from the US (I am in the UK) and the price was good. However, when I looked under Settings>about Windows Phone >phone information, I noticed that the "Carrier" was rather puzzingly listed as "Australia"(in spite of the fact that I have UK carrier 3 up and running on it and this is listed in Settings > mobile network). As far as I know, there is no carrier called 'Australia', not even in Australia, so I assume this is simply a generic reference to the country, indicating presumably that it was stock originally intended for that country and the Far East (the packaging is partly in Chinese!) Does this sound right? Thoughts welcome

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 is also the same when I bought it. I'm from the Philippines. I just flashed it with country variant ROM and it's good.

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know there were country-variant ROMs....what is the difference?

Those are the ROMS that have CV on their name like in my case RM-875 VAR APAC PH CV YELLOW.
Though afaik, not every unit have their CV rom. Take a look at this page Availability in Asia Pacific - Nokia
Listed are every device on every country in asia pacific. Notice that in Papua New Guinea, there is no CV listed (Although I dont know if this represents all of the devices, but you get the idea)
I am not aware of the exact differences, only things I know are you will get updates not at the same time with every ROM, so depending on your ROM, it may be earlier or later. Also some of the carrier ROMs, afaik, disables internet sharing and requires you to pay more to use it. In CV roms, I think, it is enabled by default. I believe there are still many to mentions that I am not aware of.

How do you flash to "country-variant" rom?

Follow this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...a-firmware-without-navifirm-;-inc-1020-a.html
Basically, you have to search for the Product code of your desired CV Rom, download it, and flash to your phone. On my 920, followed that tutorial to flash amber. But this time, cant figure Product Support Tool For Store 5.0 to get work, so I used Data Package Manager instead.

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Those are the ROMS that have CV on their name like in my case RM-875 VAR APAC PH CV YELLOW.
Though afaik, not every unit have their CV rom. Take a look at this page Availability in Asia Pacific - Nokia
Listed are every device on every country in asia pacific. Notice that in Papua New Guinea, there is no CV listed (Although I dont know if this represents all of the devices, but you get the idea)
I am not aware of the exact differences, only things I know are you will get updates not at the same time with every ROM, so depending on your ROM, it may be earlier or later. Also some of the carrier ROMs, afaik, disables internet sharing and requires you to pay more to use it. In CV roms, I think, it is enabled by default. I believe there are still many to mentions that I am not aware of.

Follow this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...a-firmware-without-navifirm-;-inc-1020-a.html
Basically, you have to search for the Product code of your desired CV Rom, download it, and flash to your phone. On my 920, followed that tutorial to flash amber. But this time, cant figure Product Support Tool For Store 5.0 to get work, so I used Data Package Manager instead.

Hi - thanks yes. I've since done a bit more research and basically country variant ROMs are the unbranded, carrier-free firmware versions, some of which vary slightly according to local regulations and laws. It's good to know that flashing my new 1020 to the the UK variant is possible, but I can't imagine there are any actual differences between the UK and Australian versions so it probably wouldn't be worry the bother.

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi - thanks yes. I've since done a bit more research and basically country variant ROMs are the unbranded, carrier-free firmware versions, some of which vary slightly according to local regulations and laws. It's good to know that flashing my new 1020 to the the UK variant is possible, but I can't imagine there are any actual differences between the UK and Australian versions so it probably wouldn't be worry the bother.

Yeah, you're right. Actually, I had no plans of flashing it either. But when I was going to use the call+sms block feature, I cant seem to find it even after upadting various settings app. So I ended up flashing it anyway.

idroided

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the steps on how to update firmware manually, I was about to flash my phone but the update for my phone arrived, this is still useful in the future 😃

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism