"Other" Storage after Lumia Black

Zumomaki

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. The thing is that before "Black" i used to have aroud 3GB of "Other" storage, which is reasonable, but after upgrading my phone, it raised to 6.5GB and it's still increasing every day... Is there any way to delete this "Other" storage? Or i will have to hard reset my phone?

benedict

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
There is no other in WP after the amber update, the Nokia storage check is outdated and useless now, I know many will argue, hear me out before you all stat debating,
I have gdr3 preview, installed moliplayer and loaded vids to my phone in the camera role, this were file formats the phone could not recognize, flv, vob etc, after loading the vids, storage check showed that my other had grown from 432mb to 10gb which was ridiculous because the increase was because of the videos I loaded but the Nokia tool could not recognize them as media files, I checked using Microsoft's phone storage in gdr3 which showed an increase in media files as a result of the videos, I deleted the videos and Nokia's tool showed a decrease to the original size,
Check if you loaded any unsupported files, don't people wonder why a reset clears the other), Nokia should update the tool or remove it, its outdated.

Last edited:

Zumomaki

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've checked my phone, and there's nothing except 2Gb of songs, and some hundred MB of pictures, nothing else. I don't know where those 7GB are coming from

waltzik

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
your experience are all kind of little compared with mine. I bought a new lumia 1020 and upon first activation i had 2.4gb on my other storage. I am waiting for the black update hoping it would clear my other storage as it won't be funny using factory reset from my 1st 3 days using the phone

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but where are you seeing this "other" section anymore? I have in my "phone storage" settings list:-

• apps+games
• music+videos
• pictures
• documents
• maps
• email+messaging
• system
• temporary files

Or is the "other" section the math you're doing what's left… because I'm adding them all up and I get the 31.7 gig that the phone says is being used.

I'm assuming a formatted 64 GB device doesn't have a full 64 GB, just like SD cards don't have the full amount, and hard drives don't have the full amount. So take that into consideration.

I got a couple gig back when I updated to Black.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
cross check between both Phone Storage and Storage Check.
Try do some maths and you should find out what's 'Others' is about.

I had some phantom Music and Media data figures too, dismissed after some simple accounting.

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, Phone Storage says I have more temporary files than Storage Check and also says that the System is using more space. I know it may have been late to the party but I trust the Phone Storage more than Storage Check (now)… just so long as neither of those figures keep increasing ridiculously we're all good. But I didn't feel I was having huge problems before.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
As benedict said, the Nokia storage check tool was designed with gdr1/gdr2. Changes were made in gdr3 that the storage check tool was not designed to handle, so it will give inaccurate results.

There is no such thing as "other" storage anymore. Look at the temporary files in the built in tool to gauge used storage.

garry bryant

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia 820, i had 1.2gb of memory started an installation of a 202mb game but with data would be more but cancelled it during installation, and now i have lost 600mb of memory lost, ive tried clearing temporary files and using storage cleaner but still not regaining the memory from the cancelled installation ive even tried clearing the i e history before clearing temporary files, any help would be very welcome, but i don't want to do a phone reset.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I got extra 2gb storage free. After update to,Lumia black...soo i was happy...just getting less battery life compared to,gdr2...any of u with same issue...should i reset my fone...i mean hard reset...

Sent from my Nokia 1020 RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

Zumomaki

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well... There it iswp_ss_20140115_0001.png
And I've checked all my things many times. And all i have is 2Gb of music and less than a GB of pictures, nothin else.

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow fair play, I only have 1.3 GB in my other folder and I've had my 1020 for a good 4 months? but as said Storage Check ain't really geared up for GDR3.

What does the Windows Phone "phone storage" settings say out of interest?

Possibly worth a hard reset.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I had 4GB of "Other" on Amber after having my 1020 for 2 months with SkyDrive auto-upload turned on - after updating to Black two days ago that has shrunk to 1.1GB. Hope it stays that way :p

Koponen942

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I've had my other storage problem for a long time now (Since GDR1 I think..). My other storage has been growing and growing, and now it's hovering over about 18 gigs. What do I do?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo