"Other" Storage after Lumia Black

mrvhin1216

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
As benedict said, the Nokia storage check tool was designed with gdr1/gdr2. Changes were made in gdr3 that the storage check tool was not designed to handle, so it will give inaccurate results.

There is no such thing as "other" storage anymore. Look at the temporary files in the built in tool to gauge used storage.

Correct. Phone Storage gives a more accurate and detailed info, than Storage Check. And it gives you the option to clear Temp Files. One trick that I have learned is to change the date before clearing the Temp File, i.e. make the year 2015. Once you cleared it, make a soft reset. There's no harm in trying! :)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I wish we have an app that is similar to CCleaner on Windows. I will definitely grab it for $5-10

ccleaner is largely fool's gold fyi. It offers nothing windows doesn't already have built in. Worse, ccleaner could potentially harm your computer...

Also, as a general rule you should never trust anything that claims it can "clean" the registry.

Koponen942

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately the "other storage" cant be removed. Hard reset your phone after you have backed up everything.
Then again what apps do you use frequently? 18gb of other is a surprising amount.

Hmm.. The apps I use most frequently.. There are many of them, like IE, Hill Climb Racing, Temple Run, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube HD and Microsoft's YouTube app (which still works, didnt update it). Oh, did I mention that my phone is a Lumia 920, not a 1020? Didn't notice that the forum section was for 1020..

EDIT: Also, does WP8 store all files with an unsupported filetype into the Other category? If it does, 3-4gigs from those 18gigs are unsupported files.

Koponen942

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
ccleaner is largely fool's gold fyi. It offers nothing windows doesn't already have built in. Worse, ccleaner could potentially harm your computer...

Also, as a general rule you should never trust anything that claims it can "clean" the registry.

1st. CCleaner is one of the most popular PC & registry cleaner softwares of all.
2nd. Windows doesn't offer a built-in registry cleaning software.
3rd. CCleaner is made so that it shouldn't (and will not) harm your computer. And, it's also virus free.
4th. If the program is popular and has gained good reviews, you can trust it.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I have been using Ccleaner for 5 years. I have never run registry cleaner on any of my machine. I am an advanced user so I know what I am doing. The reason why I want an app that is similar to ccleaner because the built in temp cleaner of Windows Phone OS is not reliable. Imagine in one click all the browser history, cache, cookies, OS temp files, and custom junks will be deleted.

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I need some help.

So I just bought a 1520, and restored a backup from my 520. I configured my phone and finished the first boot setup. Before i knew it, I had 4 gigs of other storage. I didn't even download any apps yet!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
1st. CCleaner is one of the most popular PC & registry cleaner softwares of all.
2nd. Windows doesn't offer a built-in registry cleaning software.
3rd. CCleaner is made so that it shouldn't (and will not) harm your computer. And, it's also virus free.
4th. If the program is popular and has gained good reviews, you can trust it.

Cleaning the registry does not in any way speed up or improve windows, and it never will. It can however hurt your computer. Though they obviously try to avoid breaking your PC, "registry cleaners" are snake oil. Potentially dangerous snake oil. The registry does not need to be cleaned, therefore trying to clean it can only result in a) nothing or b) damage. Obviously windows doesn't include it, because the very idea is stupid.

Similarly, the file cleaner part of ccleaner also tries to not break your computer, so you'll keep using it. But why would you use it when you have the built in 'disk cleaner'? Using that you don't have to install any extra software, or worry that a ccleaner update might have an unfortunate mistake. Using disk cleaner is also more efficient and less conflicting because it knows which files are currently in use by the system (or scheduled to be) and which aren't. All ccleaner can do is not delete files less than two days old- which, depending on your system could be BOTH still in use (if you run ccleaner religiously you may be preventing windows from ever completing certain tasks) or leaving large files on your system that aren't needed any more, simply because they aren't two days old yet.

Alternatively, don't manually run disk cleaner- let windows automatically handle it. Because it will, eventually. Most people have an excess of space, and would actually gain a speed benefit from NOT clearing their caches- but they have the *** backwards idea that their HDD/SSD needs to be "clean" for some inane reason.

Every third party program ccleaner can clean has self regulating and manual cache management. It is infinitely more wise to use each program's built in cleaning mechanism- ccleaner may have a good track record, but there is still potential for some conflict (be it minor or major).

Just because a program is popular doesn't make it good. Many things are built upon a foundation of lies or misconceptions, and people just eat it up and write good reviews. Not everyone is well informed on the subject (frequently, even the authors of the software are unaware that they fundamentally misunderstand what they are trying to "fix"), so they don't know any better and just believe whatever the website tells them. I'm sure there are many good reviews for various RAM cleaning software, for example, but clean your RAM all you want; it isn't going to make your PC faster.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Koponen942

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
If you haven't already updated to Lumia Black, I would hard reset. There is definitely an issue with your phone, either multiple failed update installations or an unnoticed bug in the OS caused by something we don't know about that is causing many duplicate files to form in other

I have updated my L920 to the Black version. The OS has not reported any failed updates, but that could be the reason.

windowsphone.com said:
Before Windows Phone 8: Update 2, when you downloaded an app or game or installed one from an SD card, a copy of the app installation file was stored on your phone, even if you uninstalled the app. These copies weren't deleted unless you chose to reset your phone. So if you installed lots of bigger apps and games, your "other" storage may have filled up with these files. Installing Update 2 or later fixes the issue and deletes previously stored files.
GDR2 didn't fix it for me, neither did GDR3, I was surprised that my Other storage didn't go down. I'll probably hard reset it today.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. The thing is that before "Black" i used to have aroud 3GB of "Other" storage, which is reasonable, but after upgrading my phone, it raised to 6.5GB and it's still increasing every day... Is there any way to delete this "Other" storage? Or i will have to hard reset my phone?

Even 3GBs of other storage before the update seems huge. I've only had up to a gigabyte, which I thought was pretty unnecessary. The Phone Storage app in the settings part of your WP can definitely help lay some things out for you.

jtanigawa

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a Lumia 1520 and the "system" storage is constantly increasing. It is currently at over 7 gbs and my "temporary storage" is at over 6 gbs. I really don't know what to do to reduce the increasing loss of storage as attempting to clear even the temporary storage gives me only a few mbs back. This is very depressing and I'm getting close to regretting this phone purchase and I'm not sure I'm up for a hard reset as I can't find any guides online that tell me how to properly restore all my data after a hard reset.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm, this looks like my 920. I had 15GB of Other storage. Since it's not my primary phone I just did a hard reset. I still cannot imagine how Other climbed so high so rapidly. I don't use the phone very much.

There is no such thing as "other" storage anymore.

Ha, yes I found that out! Storage Check showed 15GB of Other, but Phone Storage skipped it. The 15GB was completely unaccounted for when doing the math.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, this looks like my 920. I had 15GB of Other storage. Since it's not my primary phone I just did a hard reset. I still cannot imagine how Other climbed so high so rapidly. I don't use the phone very much.

Ha, yes I found that out! Storage Check showed 15GB of Other, but Phone Storage skipped it. The 15GB was completely unaccounted for when doing the math.

That's left over from GDR2. GDR3 does not, I repeat, does not use "other storage", but it also doesn't clear whatever you accumulated in GDR2, so once you update to GDR3 you have to hard reset to reclaim the lost space. As such, once you've hard reset after updating to GDR3, nokia's storage check does not give accurate or reliable results.

At least, I have seen zero confirmed cases of "other" truly growing in GDR3, that was not accounted for and deletable in GDR3's storage tool. All threads about "other storage in GDR3"- it's always really just left overs from GDR2, and users misinterpret this as "it's not fixed". Or users are still using nokia's storage check, and they mistakenly think the problem is still there.

As far as lumia black goes, I think it's likely the update isn't cleaning up installation files and OP might need a hard reset. But I highly doubt the claim that "other storage is growing" because, once again, this information is gathered using an outdated and unreliable tool. Unless nokia reintroduced the other storage problem.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's left over from GDR2. GDR3 does not, I repeat, does not use "other storage", but it also doesn't clear whatever you accumulated in GDR2, so once you update to GDR3 you have to hard reset to reclaim the lost space. As such, once you've hard reset after updating to GDR3, nokia's storage check does not give accurate or reliable results.

At least, I have seen zero confirmed cases of "other" truly growing in GDR3, that was not accounted for and deletable in GDR3's storage tool. All threads about "other storage in GDR3"- it's always really just left overs from GDR2, and users misinterpret this as "it's not fixed". Or users are still using nokia's storage check, and they mistakenly think the problem is still there.

As far as lumia black goes, I think it's likely the update isn't cleaning up installation files and OP might need a hard reset. But I highly doubt the claim that "other storage is growing" because, once again, this information is gathered using an outdated and unreliable tool. Unless nokia reintroduced the other storage problem.

Yes, I realize that Storage Check is out of date. But the Phone Storage numbers did not add up. 8GB used with 6GB available on a 32GB device? The 15GB of Other in Storage Check should have shown up somewhere in Phone Storage, but it didn't. (numbers are approximate)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion