"Other" Storage after Lumia Black

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I realize that Storage Check is out of date. But the Phone Storage numbers did not add up. 8GB used with 6GB available on a 32GB device? The 15GB of Other in Storage Check should have shown up somewhere in Phone Storage, but it didn't. (numbers are approximate)

link68759 said:
That's left over from GDR2. GDR3 does not, I repeat, does not use "other storage", but it also doesn't clear whatever you accumulated in GDR2, so once you update to GDR3 you have to hard reset to reclaim the lost space. As such, once you've hard reset after updating to GDR3, nokia's storage check does not give accurate or reliable results.

At least, I have seen zero confirmed cases of "other" truly growing in GDR3, that was not accounted for and deletable in GDR3's storage tool. All threads about "other storage in GDR3"- it's always really just left overs from GDR2, and users misinterpret this as "it's not fixed". Or users are still using nokia's storage check, and they mistakenly think the problem is still there.

As far as lumia black goes, I think it's likely the update isn't cleaning up installation files and OP might need a hard reset. But I highly doubt the claim that "other storage is growing" because, once again, this information is gathered using an outdated and unreliable tool. Unless nokia reintroduced the other storage problem.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's left over from GDR2. GDR3 does not, I repeat, does not use "other storage", but it also doesn't clear whatever you accumulated in GDR2, so once you update to GDR3 you have to hard reset to reclaim the lost space. As such, once you've hard reset after updating to GDR3, nokia's storage check does not give accurate or reliable results.

At least, I have seen zero confirmed cases of "other" truly growing in GDR3, that was not accounted for and deletable in GDR3's storage tool. All threads about "other storage in GDR3"- it's always really just left overs from GDR2, and users misinterpret this as "it's not fixed". Or users are still using nokia's storage check, and they mistakenly think the problem is still there.

As far as lumia black goes, I think it's likely the update isn't cleaning up installation files and OP might need a hard reset. But I highly doubt the claim that "other storage is growing" because, once again, this information is gathered using an outdated and unreliable tool. Unless nokia reintroduced the other storage problem.

OK that makes sense. I'll see if my available storage disappears again. The thing is that GDR3 was available when I bought this phone, and I flashed it almost immediately after a hard reset. So my disappearing storage disappeared with GDR3. Whether or not it's called Other, it was gone and unaccounted for. With the little that I do with the phone, there's no way I used it up legitimately.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me started on this other storage everyone knows I posted pics on here about this .. But since doing a hard reset ... I'm only on 1.6gb of other... So to add .. Nokia storage check is accurate lets just hope other doesn't continue to climb

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
This Other Storage is an old problem that MS and Nokia said it will be fixed, but it has passed two major updates and no change.
You can use a tool in the App Store which worked for me every time on both 920 and 928 so it must work also on 1020. Try Shrink Storage.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me started on this other storage everyone knows I posted pics on here about this .. But since doing a hard reset ... I'm only on 1.6gb of other... So to add .. Nokia storage check is accurate lets just hope other doesn't continue to climb

"nokia storage check is accurate"

And what do you base that claim on?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
"nokia storage check is accurate"

And what do you base that claim on?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
while I was dealing with 10gb of other I took multiple pics of both " phone storage" and storage check" and posted the here and both showed 10gb of lost memory which was the 10gb I lost to other . Now I'm not sure about the rest but both showed the 10gb lost to " other" and yes I am rocking gdr3 dev preview. Did a hard reset since then

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
while I was dealing with 10gb of other I took multiple pics of both " phone storage" and storage check" and posted the here and both showed 10gb of lost memory which was the 10gb I lost to other . Now I'm not sure about the rest but both showed the 10gb lost to " other" and yes I am rocking gdr3 dev preview. Did a hard reset since then

"since then" as in after, but not before? Were you the OP of that thread I was posting in "10GB of other storage"? I was the one who told you to hard reset, and I told you in that thread multiple times what I have said here- I'm glad to see you came out of that thread learning nothing...

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
"since then" as in after, but not before? Were you the OP of that thread I was posting in "10GB of other storage"? I was the one who told you to hard reset, and I told you in that thread multiple times what I have said here- I'm glad to see you came out of that thread learning nothing...

yes I am "that guy" who posted 10gbs of other and yes finally broke down after that thread and did the hard reset! Now ....i can confirm it did clear out my other as we all knew it would. But now the real question is what you and many wonder is will it climb to 10gb again after a hard reset and all the latest updates. I can tell you that after the reset I'm only on 1.6gb of other were ever I look ! But accumulated it in a months time . At that rate ....looks like it will keep climbing . But I won't crab till it gets to 10gb again and hope it doesn't!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
We need a Cleaner App that can remove temporary files, internet cache,cookies,history files, junk files, in one tap

The built in gdr3 cache cleaner could stand to gain some improvements (why the heck is it so slow?).

However, what you describe seems foolish- one tap to clear cookies? I know I hold onto my cookies as long as possible, since I use long passwords and IE doesn't support any type of autofill.

That said, this pretty much already exists.

Go to phone storage in gdr3. See that "internet explorer settings" button? They put that there just for you!

The only thing that's missing is clearing map cache- but I don't know that this isn't one of the things the main delete button does. Also, with offline maps there is no map cache. Since nokia lets us move maps to our SD cards, I have all of USA downloaded and never have to worry about data usage or map caches again.

jason10mm

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Like I said in the other similar thread, the date change trick worked for me. I had ~12 gigs of "other/temporary" storage, both storage apps in the settings menu agreed on its presence. The "delete" option never worked. I changed the date to 2100 and viola, the temporary files shrunk down to just a few hundred mb that I could delete and I freed up 12+ gigs of space. No hard reset necessary. 1020 phone. Both "phone storage" and "storage check" agree.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My "Other" Storage has been around 1.5 GB for several months now and my Lumia 920 is up to date. However, I never auto upload my pictures, watch many videos, or install/play games. I suspect the cache or temp files from these activities (especially videos) contribute heavily to the "Other" Storage problem.

Also where is the cache stored or cleared out for apps like Facebook, Instagram, 6tag, etc. You know these apps that use a bunch of Internet data and waste battery like crazy while doing it. How is the cache cleared out for these apps? I'm sure they also contribute to "Other" Storage without a way for us to clear that cache. Because for a while Facebook Beta was one of the only apps I was using before I noticed my "Other" Storage start to grow past 1 GB. So I try to use the Me and People Hubs more often to avoid "Other" Storage from growing. Just some thoughts...

Gwil Williams

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
You will have to reset your phone every 6 months because Microsoft are utterly useless and once you have bought one of their phones they don't give a monkeys; or they are just too incompetent to sort the 'Other storage' problem out.

AlthaniMiguel

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I also had that problem once.
The only solution for such problem is to use a Class 10 MicroSd and move some apps from the phone storage to the sd storage.
Now, my phone's "others" is now on 0 bytes and the lumia's animation is so smooth.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Well.. My ,,other" is more then 8gb. How? - it's because music. Whenever i connect my 1520 (class 10sd) and transfer music from pc to phone storage/sd card all of that content go to ,,other".
Tried formating sd card, try to transfer from phone storage to sd but i couldn't. Why? Because all music went to ,,other".
Realy don't know what to do, pisses me off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99