Apps can be closed now after Black update, but not the sound?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
We can close opened apps explicitly now by tapping on the cross (X) button in the app decks view. But, do apps really get closed? I was playing Tunein radio, and when I tapped on the X to end the app, the music keeps on playing in the background! Until I use the Stop!Music app, the sound will not stop at all. How can MS actually approved such "improvement"?

Or we need to wait for the apps need to be updated in order to work well with the new end task feature?

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I believe from a logical point of view the music in this case should stop since it was initiated by the app. But that's not how they've programmed it it seems. Also wonder if the app leverages on WP playback/audio system? It is no longer in memory when removed, but stays in the WP memory kernel?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I believe from a logical point of view the music in this case should stop since it was initiated by the app. But that's not how they've programmed it it seems. Also wonder if the app leverages on WP playback/audio system? It is no longer in memory when removed, but stays in the WP memory kernel?

Perhaps you are right. I find that is strange that music keeps on playing and that defeats the purpose of ending a task. I was hoping that I can remove the Stop!Music app since Black supports end of tasks now. But well.....

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't quote me on this, but I THINK the music gets cached to a certain point. Now, maybe I'm wrong and the music keeps playing continuously as I don't know how much is cached, but this is an assumption I"m making based upon what I have experienced with bluetooth speakers and in the car. Let me explain my reasoning....

When I want to skip a song, I can USUALLY go to the next one immediately after I've been listening to a song. I figure it was already queued and waiting to go. However, if I skip several, there is a pause as it's loading music. This happens on both speakers and in the car. I also notice that if I stop the music on the phone, it doesn't immediately stop on the car. There is a few seconds.of sound still playing. It's most apparent in vehicles, not so much on BT speakers.

I could just be way wrong here, so it you're saying the music keeps continuously playing, someone smarter than me may know more or it just may not truly stop. So much for my logical thinking.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't quote me on this, but I THINK the music gets cached to a certain point. Now, maybe I'm wrong and the music keeps playing continuously as I don't know how much is cached, but this is an assumption I"m making based upon what I have experienced with bluetooth speakers and in the car. Let me explain my reasoning....

When I want to skip a song, I can USUALLY go to the next one immediately after I've been listening to a song. I figure it was already queued and waiting to go. However, if I skip several, there is a pause as it's loading music. This happens on both speakers and in the car. I also notice that if I stop the music on the phone, it doesn't immediately stop on the car. There is a few seconds.of sound still playing. It's most apparent in vehicles, not so much on BT speakers.

I could just be way wrong here, so it you're saying the music keeps continuously playing, someone smarter than me may know more or it just may not truly stop. So much for my logical thinking.

Hey no worries. Is a forum so feel free to speak up with your points.

TBH, it does not really bothers me much as I can stop the playing music with the Stop!Music app. I'm just find it weird with the app supposed to be ended totally, and I assume that all related resources should be released immediately. Perhaps you are right about the cached theory too. Regardless, I hope resources are indeed released once the tasks are killed.

jrsavery

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I understood that some activities, such as playing music, can be offloaded to the OS rather than handled by the specific app. This allows them to run in the background even though WP8 doesn't really do multitasking. If this is true then killing the app is leaving the music still streaming.

On my 1020 hitting the play/pause button on the music controls stops the streaming even after the app is closed. Kinda stupid that closing the app doesn't kill the stream that it kicked off. Alas another "rough" edge in the WP experience...

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
The volume bar / music bar seems to be a separate app (or part of the OS seems more accurate) and thus acts separately. When you press play in your music app it loads it into the volume bar and while you can control the volume bar from the app and see greater detail of what you're looking at (position in track etc) its just a remote that speaks to your volume bar. So closing the app doesn't necessarily stop the volume bar from playing music.

There may be a few details I've got wrong, or have spoke incorrectly of, but that's my understanding of what's going on.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It's still the same as it was, you could close Tune In Radio or any music playing app by just pressing the back button before Black, and the music would still keep playing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss