Lumia 1020 camera module making weird 'fan' noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreasDK

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys!

While taking a photo in a silent environment, I just noticed that the camera module of my Lumia 1020 (running the Black update) is making a weird 'fan'-like noise - akin to when your laptop in becoming warm. You can only hear it, if the the camera module is placed close to your ear. Is this normal, or should I send it in for repair?

/AndreasDK

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I think it's normal because the OIS in the 1020 uses active motors to counter-balance your handshake instantly, so that's probably the motors making the noise.

FWIW I can hear it from my 1020 as well.

AndreasDK

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply - at least good to know i'm not alone.

Even though the noise is subtle, it's actually quite obvious when making a video in a silent environment - the bass filter setting doesn't help either. Are you also able to hear the 'fan'-noise during video recording?

Last edited:

Intrepid00

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
You should be concerned if it sounds like this:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/256979-1020-ois-screech.html

I've just sent mine back, waiting to see what Nokia NZ has to say...

When it was working properly I couldn't hear any mechanical noise on videos.

Haha, the last video you could see that the motor was grinding and unable to move and was vibrating. Just watch the letters on the TV go from clear to fuzzy when it does it.

Otherwise I hear the fan noise as well and it is normal. I could only hear the fan noise on the video though only when I sat really quite and cranked up the volume.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I get it on my Lumia 1020 also. But I can hear that noise in the background of my videos that I take, which is really noticeable. On top of that, I have a very loud shaking noise whenever I move the phone. The sad thing about all of this is that I have had the phone for a day because AT&T shipped me a replacement one since my last phone was restarting itself everyday for no reason. Looks like I'll need a new one... again...

Sebsweden

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I have it to. It's very noticeable when you're shooting video in a quiet room. You get this sssschhhh-sound. I haven't tried it since the black update. Will try, and report back. Please reply in this thread if you got it replaced, and how Nokia handled the problem. One of the reasons I got this phone in the first place was because of the image AND audio quality. Remember the release ads: "it has HAAC microphones
and Rich Recording ..."

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have AT&T as my carrier. Nokia never helped me fix my phone. I always call AT&T and they just ship me a new know since I'm still under warranty. I've had roughly 4-5 1020's because they keep sending me refurbished ones. If this next replacement screws up again, I'm asking for a 925 because there are too many problems with the 1020 in my mind. I love the one, but there are a lot of hardware issues that I've had with it.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Just reporting back as have now received a replacement phone from Nokia NZ. Unfortunately I had a terrible experience with the local Nokia Care. After 2 weeks of hounding them for a status report, I managed to track down a NZ Nokia employee on Twitter. He advised that it looked like a day's mail had been lost from their service center. So they just sent me a replacement and haven't located the handset I returned. So I can't provide any feedback on what they thought of the above issue, unfortunately.

New handset going well, despite having the dreaded #8000ffff error while restoring apps from backup.

boxerSubaru

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Same here.. I have noticed that sound since first day i bought it and it is heard while filming in silent room. I think it is OIS related. But i love my phone :)

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Its the OIS system, nothing to worry about. Black update does not affect it (its a hardware design, not software).

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

tommikovski

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the threat and all the replys.

I got my 1020 today and i watched the screeching noise video a few months ago - so this was the first thing i checked on my 1020. I could hear a silent rattling in a very silent surrounding so i was concerned that i might have the same problem in an early stage but now i know that i don?t have to worry any more. Hope my "noise" stays as silent as it is :D

Cheers,
Tom

dborzasi

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey everybody!
I'm glad I found this thread!

I am experiencing the same issue. Could someone who's unit is working properly check if it is the same as mine? Or just tell if mine is normal or not. Why I am not sure is that it is a bit higher pitched and too loud...

Mine, recorded today:

By the way here is another video recorded by Pocketnow. The noise is not so strong in this one:
Thank's for checking!

Last edited:

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys!

While taking a photo in a silent environment, I just noticed that the camera module of my Lumia 1020 (running the Black update) is making a weird 'fan'-like noise - akin to when your laptop in becoming warm. You can only hear it, if the the camera module is placed close to your ear. Is this normal, or should I send it in for repair?

/AndreasDK

I also hear some sound. Its not rough sound like a fan. Its smooth. Like very smoothly running fans or motors.

Don't worry. Its normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234