Give me back my polycarbonate matte finish!!! - Here's How!

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I love the matte, chalky feel of the 1020. The sides have become shiny with use. Most of you would have experienced that by now I'm sure 😆

Any ideas to get back that matte finish? Pretty sure sandpaper would bring back that dull/matte look but I wonder about the depth of the yellow finish. Don't wanna see a layer of black after the first few strokes 😆

Last edited:

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Give me back my polycarbonate matte finish!!!

I love the matte, chalky feel of the 1020. The sides have become shiny with use. Most of you would have experienced that by now I'm sure ��

Any ideas to get back that matte finish? Pretty sure sandpaper would bring back that dull/matte look but I wonder about the depth of the yellow finish. Don't wanna see a layer of black after the first few strokes ��

you wont hit black as the plastic is the same colour all the way through mate , however , I don't know if fine sand paper will give you that feel back??

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

That sounds encouraging! Sandpaper cannot be too fine a grade, it would end up polishing the surface retaining that shiny feel...

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

That sounds encouraging! Sandpaper cannot be too fine a grade, it would end up polishing the surface retaining that shiny feel...

I don't know much about it to be honest mate , but I do know that the polycarbonate is the same colour all the way through 110% ;-)

oh and I do know that housing's for the 1020 are now starting to show up , some cheaper then others , some fake some genuine I guess ;-) here is a few links mate

http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/uploads/mediaplugin/doc/nokia-808-pureview-whitepaper.pdf

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e..._Tools%26hash%3Ditem2a34547a80&token=fNc93plk

here is the holy grail but obviously fake and looks glossy too which is a shame ..... red housing

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e..._Cases%26hash%3Ditem35ccb83e9b&token=LOLfWQCp

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I DID IT! Got back my matte yellow finish!

I used 1200 grade sandpaper. Same stuff I use at home to remove scratches from stainless steel with matte finishes. Go over the sides very, very lightly along the screen, almost no pressure is required to remove those few microns of polymer.

If you're worried about scratching the screen, cover with tape.

One stroke at a time, wipe the dust away to assess result and see if more strokes are needed.

Loving that matte, chalk feeling along the sides once more! 😂

Last edited:

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Can't upload images from the device but will do that later from the website forum.

This convinced me it was safe to sand down the surface:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013...olours-and-materials-of-the-nokia-lumia-1020/

"A defining aspect of Nokia?s polycarbonate is that the colour runs through the whole material. The colour is an inherent part of the production process, and not just applied as a top layer afterwards.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 polycarbonate ensures that even if it gets scratched or worn, the colour never shows it."

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I tried it...nice...i took sand paper. Number 220...i had to scratches' on the left side...i did little hard soo i cld even it out..it worked...fone looks nice and color is back like new...thou if u see closely u can see few rubs...

Sent from my Nokia 1020 RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
220 grade is way too coarse, so no surprises there with the scratches. Having tried 1200, I would even go further with 1500 or 1800 the next time.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
No i mean i had 2 scratches before...after using sand paper it disappeared...ya thou i agree 220 is strong...will try 1500

Sent from my Nokia 1020 RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

waltzik

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
dont know if just me but sand papering i tried it yesterday and i have a feel my back cover doesnt look that cool when you look close at it but from afar seems like its got the matte looks back. Can anyone post me pics of backcover after applying sand paper

KristianKenneth

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but I sand the sides of my 1020 color yellow with 1000 grit sand paper and the scratches are gone but after wiping, it isn't matte and has a different shade of yellow from the rest. probably because the part where I sand it has become shiny.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
it will be fresh plastic so it will look a different colour ...... I wouldn't recommend sanding down the housing of the 1020 really unless you was desperate and wanted to do the whole housing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss